ISIS

Music in all its forms and styles
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Re: ISIS

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Ravenpig wrote:Just saw my first two live Isis videos right now.... Holy cow that dude's voice sounds the same live, pretty impressed by that. Doesn't sound silly like some of the other cookie monster bands I've heard coughOpethcough.

Anyone know if their break up was amicable? Wikipedia is kinda vague. I mean the other guys started another band, friction with the singer?
I think it kind of just ran it's course, which is vague in itself. but I'm thankful we have such an extensive catalog of stuff to listen to. I've seen about 7 different bands open for Tool that I've never heard/heard of before and ISIS perked my ears up back in 06'. I wish there was a setlist from that show but I can't find one anywhere on the interwebs.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Ravenpig wrote:Just saw my first two live Isis videos right now.... Holy cow that dude's voice sounds the same live, pretty impressed by that. Doesn't sound silly like some of the other cookie monster bands I've heard coughOpethcough.

Anyone know if their break up was amicable? Wikipedia is kinda vague. I mean the other guys started another band, friction with the singer?
I get the strong impression it was mostly Aaron Turner who didn't feel like continuing with the project, and that there was friction between him and the other guys in some ways. If you read between the lines, they've all kind of expressed this in various interviews.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:

I think it kind of just ran it's course, which is vague in itself. but I'm thankful we have such an extensive catalog of stuff to listen to. I've seen about 7 different bands open for Tool that I've never heard/heard of before and ISIS perked my ears up back in 06'. I wish there was a setlist from that show but I can't find one anywhere on the interwebs.
I know they played a lot from In The Absence of Truth and Panopticon mostly. I feel like they definitely played Wills Dissolve, and I know they played Holy Tears, Not In Rivers But In Drops and I think Dulcinea.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upc ... _tool.html

I've posted previously about seeing Isis open for Tool in Oakland. Wasn't a fan, but came to find out it was all about the shitty, boomy botched mix in that cavernous arena. Curse of many an opening band in that situation. They killed in a small club and I wish I had had more opportunities to witness it.

Took a quick look on Setlist.com for other dates on that tour and looks like Joey got it right.

These were the unique songs listed on the few dates that had setlists populated:

Not In Rivers, But In Drops
Dulcinea
Holy Tears
So Did We
Wrists of Kings
Backlit
1000 Shards
Ki77aan :twisted:
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I'm still kicking myself constantly for missing both the Jakob and Melvins ISIS tours at the end. I just kept saying, "next time..." Never making that mistake again.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Well I got my answer. Definitely some friction here (mostly from the singer), though they were friendly enough to interview on camera together.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Hey! Denty!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

If you read/watch most of the ISIS interviews from that time period, and kind of cross reference them with any of the Palms interviews where they delve into why the began that project, and also any of Aaron Turner's interviews for other projects since ISIS disbanded... you start to see a kind of clearer picture. It's not an uncommon one in music, however much it sucks for us as fans.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Uploaded on Jun 24, 2010Isis, who had support of icons like Mike Patton and Manyard James Keenan, have called it quits, and they explain why.
Lol. Manyard.
Don't mow your lawn
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

ISIS @The Meow Meow Club, Portland, OR, USA

So Did We
Syndic Calls
From Sinking
In Fiction
Backlit
Grinning Mouths
Altered Course

isak
Maynard Believer

Post by isak »

Thanks for sharing. Almost a decade ago to the day & I'm still struggling to fill the void they left. Live in hope of their return one day.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Ravenpig, just got to say, referring to a singer in isis is doing my head in.

He's not just a singer.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I have openly admitted to being a relative newb to them. I don't really know the "importance" of each member to the band, hell I only know Harris because of his connection to Tool.

I only started listening to them a few months ago and I've only heard Oceanic, Pantopticon (Sp?), and Wavering Radiant.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

There's a Spanish version of Panopticon?
Don't mow your lawn
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Ravenpig wrote:I have openly admitted to being a relative newb to them. I don't really know the "importance" of each member to the band, hell I only know Harris because of his connection to Tool.

I only started listening to them a few months ago and I've only heard Oceanic, Pantopticon (Sp?), and Wavering Radiant.
Keep going. In The Absence of Truth is fucking amazing as well. They were a grower for me, liked them initially but really came to place them as one of my all time favorites as I listened more.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Wavering Radiant is absolutely my fave. Despite my aversion to the Cookie Monster vox, there are amazing tracks on every single Isis album I've heard.
Ki77aan :twisted:
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Naattik wrote:Wavering Radiant is absolutely my fave. Despite my aversion to the Cookie Monster vox, there are amazing tracks on every single Isis album I've heard.
The pre-Oceanic stuff was/is harder for me because of that. But Oceanic onward they achieved the perfect blend in my eyes and were only getting better. Wavering Radiant is their "best" in my opinion in many ways, and seemed like a great sign of things to come. Harrumph.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Wavering Radiant has been in my truck's CD player the last couple months.
Hey! Denty!
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:ISIS @The Meow Meow Club, Portland, OR, USA

So Did We
Syndic Calls
From Sinking
In Fiction
Backlit
Grinning Mouths
Altered Course

Fucking gorgeous!
Thanks, NYHC!
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Ravenpig wrote:Wavering Radiant has been in my truck's CD player the last couple months.
that's because you be awesome. no, not sarcasms. ;)

have you heard this yet? illin. the last thing you think of when you hear an ISIS track is "gee, what would these fellas sound like full acoustic?!" but it's great. they should leave Chino out the next time and do an acoustic EP with Jerry Cantrell singing. that would be interesting.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

This is probably bullshit, but still...

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-ne ... ng-in-2016
Don't mow your lawn
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

A cursory glance at the Instagram account in question reveals it's just a fan account. "Journalism" at it's finest...
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Yeah, I figured as much. The main dude from MI once used a Reddit post as a source, a Reddit post that sourced it's info from a dead Wikipedia link.
Don't mow your lawn
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Isis' 1998 EP Mosquito Control and 1999 EP The Red Sea are getting a brand new vinyl compilation release through Ipecac Records. The new pressing is out on November 10 and pre-orders are available here. Ipecac also notes that both Mosquito Control and The Red Sea are back on streaming services once again
Deftones!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Bit odd to offer presales through the Fourtheye forum but anything to sell product.
Canned audience laughter