Soundwave 2016

Music in all its forms and styles
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Soundwave 2015

Post by hellboy »

liz wrote:Where on that damned site can I get a printable timetable?
I don't think they've been officially released yet, other than the draft program that was issued a few months ago as an image. Unless you only have access to a dot matrix printer though, you should be able to print this out just fine. Also, they normally hand out timetables on the day as well.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

hellboy wrote:
liz wrote:Where on that damned site can I get a printable timetable?
I don't think they've been officially released yet, other than the draft program that was issued a few months ago as an image. Unless you only have access to a dot matrix printer though, you should be able to print this out just fine. Also, they normally hand out timetables on the day as well.
It makes me cross. I have highlighting and laminating to do and nothing will make me madder than a timetable on the day to stuff my plans. They must know it by now to get those books printed!

I presume you are referring to the timetable posted at Faster Louder and Music Feeds about mid Jan?
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

liz wrote: It makes me cross. I have highlighting and laminating to do and nothing will make me madder than a timetable on the day to stuff my plans. They must know it by now to get those books printed!
#firstworldproblems #blamelabour
liz wrote: I presume you are referring to the timetable posted at Faster Louder and Music Feeds about mid Jan?
Yes. There were a couple of drop outs, so I suspect they will be altered slightly anyway. I can't imagine it'll be too much longer until they are out in a final form.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

#firstworldproblems #blamelabour

Well everything can't be Tony's fault can it?

I blame that human megaphone AJ Maddah. Shoots his mouth off instead of getting down to business. Doesn't promote his festival nearly well enough, then complains that no-one buys tickets when proportionately I bet Adelaide stacks up well for our population. Every year I'd like to see the figures on that but they never materialize.

Anyway first world problems are where its at. No one has time to ponder the big questions of life if they are existing hand to mouth. :)
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

It does sound like AJ and his team may have dropped the ball. The interview I read a little while ago certainly suggested that he expected past instances of SW should mean that public transport would be provided in the future. A bold assumption to be making.

Anyway, who'd go to a festival in Sydney or Melbourne - they routinely turn out to be headfucks. If I lived in Melbourne I'd be inclined to come to Adelaide for the festival, or just stick with sidewaves.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Well, looks like this is now officially the last SW in Adelaide. Tickets are 6000 short of what AJ expected apparently.

Apparently sales in other cities are fine, but given that Melbourne was moved to a smaller venue I'm not so convinced. Also allegations that SW have been aware of the public transport issue in Melbourne for month now, but have chosen to stay quiet, presumably to make sure tickets keep selling.

Sounds like the wheels are pretty much ready to fall off this wagon.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Maps are out now - Adelaide looks much the same as last year minus a few stages. Looks like there will be plenty of room, especially if ticket sales are as bad as touted.

My prediction - ticket sales aren't that bad and AJ is a dick.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

hellboy wrote:
My prediction - ticket sales aren't that bad and AJ is a dick.
You have the gift of prophesy...or is it hindsight at this point?

The new timetable is out today and I do at least have to give a thumbs up to it. My clashes were rectified.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Just downloaded the app. It looks good but not as good as my A4 size time table that my old mates will actually be able to read.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

If AJ's recent tweeting is anything to go by, it looks like the Adelaide "crisis" has some chance to be averted:
Thank you to all Adelaide fans who have worked so hard to try and keep the show in Adelaide. Your efforts are truly appreciated.
though on the other hand:
unless there is a miracle and thousand buy tickets between now and end of show we are fucked in Adelaide.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

9.30 in the morning and the temperature is 30 degrees already. Ready for a day in 40 degree heat!

Catch you at the metal stage Hellboy.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'll be there for Godflesh.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Don't miss out on Le Butcherettes on stage 5 before them.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

The metal stage is now stage three on the map not four,
No shade!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

liz wrote:Don't miss out on Le Butcherettes on stage 5 before them.
I'll be missing them
liz wrote:The metal stage is now stage three on the map not four,
No shade!
That's where I expected the metal stage to be actually - I didn't pay much attention to the stage numbers. I think there's some shade off to the sides down there, though certainly not as good as at stages 4 & 5 (which really don't have anyone interesting playing).
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

King Parrot gave us the first wall of death for the day. Good showman and fun set.

Nothing more were excellent. Very impressive , multi instrumentalist, great vocal and a fabulous industrial prop which functioned as drums, guitar holder and something to stand up on.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Just got home, here's a wrap up of Day 1:

Godflesh: Were ok, however since they were playing in the peak of the heat standing in the sun, it didn't look like they were into it very much. Was a little late as well, so only heard two songs, which I'm happy to report were both of Streetcleaner. Really not the right environment for seeing this band.

Steel Panther: No real surprises here - they put on their usual show full of 80s rock rip offs and tasteless jokes. Was good for a laugh, however having seen them a couple of times before I wasn't blown away.

Fear Factory: Sound was pretty average, but it was an otherwise decent set. I wish they'd get a real drummer rather than have one that relies so heavily on triggers. Burton's vocals seemed well past their us by date as well.

Ministry: Was expecting this to be crap, however it turned out to be quite good, probably the second best for the day. The play almost exclusively new stuff, with only two tracks from Psalm 69 played (NWO and Just One Fix) and nothing older than that (though I didn't stay right to the end). If you're expecting them to do a set of their old stuff, then you'll walk away disappointed.

Soundgarden: Played an enjoyable set, and being a fan I enjoyed a few of the rarer tracks that were thrown into the mix. Cornell's vocals were hit and miss as usual. They had 90 minutes on stage, and used every second of that. To be honest I would have been happy if they'd played for just an hour.

Faith No More: A cut above the rest of the bands performance wise. I think FNM are one of the best live acts in the world, and there was nothing about tonight's set to convince me otherwise. Only disappointment was that they finished 10 minutes before they had to which, unlike Soundgarden, left the crowd disappointed there wasn't more. They played Motherfucker and Superhero from the new album.

Overall it was a good day. Faith No More made it worthwhile, without them I imagine I would have found the experience quite underwhelming. I'm pretty glad I'm not going to day 2, as one day in 40 degree weather is enough. Crowd seemed ok, but I agree with AJ in that it was down a little especially in the afternoon. Crowds in the evening seemed pretty good though.

Anyway, looks like no more Soundwaves, and unless someone else steps into the breach, this may be the last big festival I go to since no one wants to run them in Adelaide any more :(
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Was flicking through the paper this morning, and there's a short interview with AJ in it. Word is 12k rocked up in Adelaide yesterday, it felt like more to me, but not much more.

20k turned up to last years event (which is about on par for Adelaide festivals I think). I reckon if you added the 2-day passes to all the 1-day passes you'd get about 20k individuals attending over the weekend. Personally I don't think this is a bad outcome.

Anyway, AJ also mentioned it's not over for Adelaide - they'll still consider it for next year, and if not then it's likely the headliners would play shows there. If Adelaide gets a bunch of sideshows, then that's probably a better outcome than a festival, provided the bands I want to see take part.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

My day was a little different and started early, which was the best decision because the early part of the day was very solid.

Nothing More still stand out after day 1. A totally professional polished outfit.

Ne Obliviscaris put on a solid set but having now seen them a few times I still find their sets quite uneven. The violin and growly vocal harmonies I love though.

Le Butcherettes were awesome, even better than when I last saw them. Terri Gender Bender is PJ Harvey on steroids. I'm in love with this woman. A star performer. Enchanting!

Godflesh are not a band. They have no drummer.

I think Steel Panther are best listened to rather than seen live. I know it's supposed to be funny but I found the banter quite distasteful and juvenile. While it works in the songs I think they should zip it a little more between times. His picking on the FNM fan on the rail enduring their set, who was going to suck his dick after the show, was quite amusing though.

Antemasque were disappointing. Cedric does a fairly straight vocal in this incantation and the style of the band is mostly straight up as well. Not the twists turns and randomness of a Mars Volta. Sure there were some fine moments but overall they lost me.

More later. Got to go battle the heat and the bands for another day!

Hellboy's comment for the final three of the day suit me. FNM were a cut above and the set was gorgeous, all white with loads of fresh flowers. It looked amazing and made some florist very happy I suspect.
Last edited by liz on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

hellboy wrote:Was flicking through the paper this morning, and there's a short interview with AJ in it. Word is 12k rocked up in Adelaide yesterday, it felt like more to me, but not much more.

20k turned up to last years event (which is about on par for Adelaide festivals I think). I reckon if you added the 2-day passes to all the 1-day passes you'd get about 20k individuals attending over the weekend. Personally I don't think this is a bad outcome.

Anyway, AJ also mentioned it's not over for Adelaide - they'll still consider it for next year, and if not then it's likely the headliners would play shows there. If Adelaide gets a bunch of sideshows, then that's probably a better outcome than a festival, provided the bands I want to see take part.
Fact is that on the festivals best year (around 2011 I think) Adelaide had 40,000 attendees and Sydney 75,000. So population wise (considering Sydney has over 4 times ours) we are excellent supporters of this festival. He should be asking the Eastern States why they don't support him.

Problem with several side shows is the cost in time and money. The reason I love festivals, and I see things I wouldn't have attended a sideshow for. He should just quit. Someone will take up the mantle. Nature abhors a vacuum.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

I didn't go to Melbourne Soundwave, but a couple of friends did. Texted back that Faith No More were "phenomenal". Even to the point where it was possibly the greatest live performance they had ever seen at an outdoor festival. They were "gobsmacked".
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:Texted back that Faith No More were "phenomenal". Even to the point where it was possibly the greatest live performance they had ever seen at an outdoor festival. They were "gobsmacked".
Give that most bands of their era pretty much phone it in these days, FNM are a cut above the rest. Considering they really don't have any stage gimmicks to speak of, it goes an even longer way. I firmly believe FNM are one of the best live bands ever.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

I was at Melbs yesterday:

Pity I wasn't there in time to see Le Butcherettes ...

Godflesh were pretty meh ... good to see them , but they really don't have much going on and didn't seem particularly into what they were doing
Fear Factory were, well, Fear Factory ... mostly a one trick pony heavy band ... never really been my thing and still aren't, however, they were way better than ...
Antemasque ... what a fucking letdown ... considering the musicians involved, their music is flat ... Cedrics vocals are fucking horrible to listen to in any iteration ... couldn't bear more than two songs before I actually went to finish the end of Fear Factory and wait for Ministry.
Ministry was fucking awesome. Al is the best old guy performing rock music on every level ... don't care for thelast two records at all and even that stuff came across well in a live setting. Got NWO, Just One Fix and Thieves to close out ... immensely enjoyed their set, as I always do. Agree with HB that it was definitely the second best performance of the day.
Soundgarden looked and sounded old, unlike Al. No energy from the stage whatsoever and didn't vary from a radio-friendly set ... Chris sounded pretty good, but from that performance, I'd never pay to see them again.
Faith No More owned. Calfium's homies were spot on. I'd have to go all the way back to Tool's 97/98 Lolla and Ozzfest sets to say I've ever seen a better outdoor festival performance ... the whole band was spot on all night ... Patton can still hit each and every note. The new tracks were much better live than the live recording versions I've seen, especially Superhero which was an absolute blast to see/hear. Easily worth the price of admission alone.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

I'm sorry you missed Teri Pete she was magnificent. I need to see more of her.

Well I did the two days and I'm a fan of that format, although I'm feeling quite shattered today. It was really hot both days but I managed to survive without a racoon sunburn this year so I win!

I didn't start so early on Sunday and Animals As Leaders were my first set. Worth the price of admission to day 2 right there. The stage was well supported and the crowd were loving it. They had some technical issues which lost us some precious moments though and it would have been so nice to hear them play longer. Masterful stuff. Still really the only purely instrumental act that I feel doesn't suffer for want of a vocalist. They should have been placed far more prominently on the bill.

Unfortunately they clashed with Killer be Killed. We ran (well walked very quickly it was 40 degrees) to catch the last 20 mins of their set. I really wish I'd seen it all (but I did make the right call). What I did see was excellent, I am becoming a big fan of Greg Puciato and he adds a refreshing youthfulness to that line up. :)

We stayed on the metal stage for Godsmack and they were a great afternoon festival band. A change of pace (a younger companion thought they'd get a lot of play on triple M) some good old fashioned hard rock done by a totally professional outfit. The highlight of the set was a double drum exhibition when the lead singer stepped behind a kit. The crowd would have liked more of that.

Now it gets a little empty. We wandered from stage to stage after something to hold our interest. Watched a little of an Aussie band called confession who weren't bad but the set ended soon after we got their. Checked out Coldrain but they were just generic and indeed that is what we encountered for quite a while. Exodus, Butcher Babies and Judas Priest( the bloke couldn't get over how lame they were, I concur) all left us pretty cold. We watched a pretty ordinary band called Of Mice and Men get a huge circle pit response. Go figure?

We did actually venture to to the main stage at one point to see if we wanted to watch Marilyn. One song convinced us. We left.

But the day finished superbly. The best Smashing Pumpkins set I have yet seen. Billy didn't speak except for a couple of thank-yous so maybe that's the trick.:) He started of with several slow songs in a row and I speculate he did it to weed out the remaining audience that he didn't want. He was clearly only second fiddle to FNM at this festival and I totally understand his wanting to take this headline spot. I think this was the most responsive audience I was in for the two days. He played a mix of favourites including Zero and Butterfly with Bullet Wings and quite a lot of newer stuff; which I hadn't heard quite a bit of but found it instantly engaging. His current line up is excellent but Billy is clearly always the focus and they support his vision.

The crowd on day two appeared larger and younger to me.

And yes we can all agree that FNM will always be one of the best things that anyone that ever sees them will ever see.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Thanks for the review Liz - looks like my decision not to go to day 2 was justified!