Opiate 21st Anniversary Edition hits the printers

James
Fanboi

Post by James »

I agree with Kittaan on the beating a dead horse thing. We know you think the band are lazy fucks now, we know you aren't going to buy the Opiate re-release, we know you think every tour is a money grab. Everyone here has heard your opinion at least once, in all probability multiple times because so many feel the need to complain in every single thread, and it's obnoxious. Threads become a circle-jerk of your negativity and whining, and I know I've said this before but it continues. Hellboy even made The Grudge for it, and this shit is still around. I'm not saying that threads should be full of fanbois but at the very least could you fellas try and bring something new to the table for once? Some constructive criticism or new complaint? 
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

James said
I agree with Kittaan on the beating a dead horse thing. We know you think the band are lazy fucks now, we know you aren't going to buy the Opiate re-release, we know you think every tour is a money grab. Everyone here has heard your opinion at least once, in all probability multiple times because so many feel the need to complain in every single thread, and it's obnoxious. Threads become a circle-jerk of your negativity and whining, and I know I've said this before but it continues. Hellboy even made The Grudge for it, and this shit is still around. I'm not saying that threads should be full of fanbois but at the very least could you fellas try and bring something new to the table for once? Some constructive criticism or new complaint? 

I like to poop naked.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

James said

This. Please guys... THIS.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

OK.

Anyone planning on buying several copies to sell later for a little profit?

It's not like it's scalping, so I don't see anything wrong with it.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

^that's not a bad idea but the limit is 3. Maybe I WILL buy this after all, 3 copies to be exact
Hey! Denty!
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

crow011 said
OK.

Was thinking of getting a copy or two. Then never opening them and selling them later to someone who really wants it. I'm a bastard.

SteveBobSteve
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

crow011 said
OK.

To be honest, I think there are much better investments out there.  
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

hellboy1975 said

crow011 said
OK.

This could prove to be a good short term investment though. Tool have many fans that would pay big bucks for this "limited edition" art.

myah see?

SteveBobSteve
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

snazzlefrass said

hellboy1975 said

crow011 said
OK.

This could prove to be a good short term investment though. Tool have many fans that would pay big bucks for this "limited edition" art.

myah see?

Yeah, I understand that.  To be honest I'm not sure 5000 is really limited enough to see much short term profit.  No doubt they will sell quickly though.  If waiting 10 years to see $50 turn into $100 is your thing then go for it I suppose.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

Shit im sure I could turn that profit in a few weeks.

Yeah, i can see it now.

SteveBobSteve
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

hellboy1975 said

snazzlefrass said

hellboy1975 said

crow011 said
OK.

myah see?

Yeah, I understand that.  To be honest I'm not sure 5000 is really limited enough to see much short term profit.  No doubt they will sell quickly though.  If waiting 10 years to see $50 turn into $100 is your thing then go for it I suppose.

snazzlefrass said
Shit im sure I could turn that profit in a few weeks.

Yeah, i can see it now.

Hellboy: Hey, Snaz! How come you've got money to burn? Or singe, anyway?
Crow: Yeah, Snaz, what's your secret investment?
Snaz: Take a guess.
Markuspoop: Uh, limited edition re-release Opiate cds?
Snaz: Yeah, that's right, Poop. This year, I invested in limited edition re-release Opiate cds. They've been going up the whole
month of March and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around July. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in.

I like to poop naked.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

snazzlefrass said

hellboy1975 said

crow011 said
OK.

myah see?

Providing that all 5,000 sell out in the first week, I'm seeing a doubling of my money almost immediately.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

crow011 said 
Providing that all 5,000 sell out in the first week, I'm seeing a doubling of my money almost immediately.

I'm pretty sure it'll sell out on the first day, let alone the first week. Not convinced it'll double in value quite so quickly, though I wouldn't be too shocked if it did.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

crow011 said 

I'm pretty sure it'll sell out on the first day, let alone the first week. Not convinced it'll double in value quite so quickly, though I wouldn't be too shocked if it did.

This isn't a negative statement, but you know how intense TOOL fans are. If they're all sold out with no hope of ever being reprinted, a fan who missed out would be willing to pay a helluva lot.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I would be comfortable exploiting someone like that.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Well looky there, you came full circle all on your own Crow!  8`)
Ki77aan :twisted:
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

This is only a cd; it isn't land,

but knowing there's a finite number heading into the opening bell

next Tuesday--people might treat it as such, so

someone can make money, I reckon.  Provided you've sold your fucking soul

ahead of time, of course; I'm sure you'll make out just fine, just fine.

As long as there's a market...

dog will hunt...

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

crow011 said 
This isn't a negative statement, but you know how intense TOOL fans are. If they're all sold out with no hope of ever being reprinted, a fan who missed out would be willing to pay a helluva lot.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I would be comfortable exploiting someone like that.

It is exploitation, and something I would't do personally, but everyone has their own standards they live by.  It bugs me from the point of view that those wanting to exploit others snap them up in the initial sale, which prevents all potential buyers from having a fair chance of getting one.  Selling to someone who forgot about the sale or just wasn't organised doesn't really bother me.

Anyway, as I see it this item will have a similar value to Salival.  Today you can go to Ebay and get a copy for $150.  From memory it sold originally in Oz for around $70.  Taking into account inflation and the fact that it came out almost 15 years ago, that's not a huge return.  Sure, you may get lucky and find someone in the first few months following the sale who's desperate, but if you hang onto it for 10+ years expecting it to be worth thousands, I think you'd be disappointed.
Outsider
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Outsider »

it is a great EP and i love it but, depending on the price i really don't think it will sell out. it will be hanging around like the fish posters.
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

Scored my copy of Salival for $35 off ebay.  I would have liked to have gotten one of those signed versions but those things sold out in an instant with many finding their way to ebay just as quickly.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

TAoutsider said
it is a great EP and i love it but, depending on the price i really don't think it will sell out. it will be hanging around like the fish posters.

I don't think you can compare one of arguably Tool's least interesting poster designs with an Opiate reissue. I think it's much more attractive merchandise option than those fish posters.  Posters really only have meaning to those who attended the shows, unless they are of high quality.  Posters are generally less in demand as well, as it's easy to print more than is really required.  Over the duration of a tour they probably print 10,000 or so posters, so there's much less demand.  

Opiate on the other hand appeals for far more Tool fans than a poster ever will.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Kittaan said

For some reason I like to think I'm a bigger asshole than I really am.

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy1975 said

crow011 said 

It is exploitation, and something I would't do personally, but everyone has their own standards they live by.  It bugs me from the point of view that those wanting to exploit others snap them up in the initial sale, which prevents all potential buyers from having a fair chance of getting one.  Selling to someone who forgot about the sale or just wasn't organised doesn't really bother me.

Anyway, as I see it this item will have a similar value to Salival.  Today you can go to Ebay and get a copy for $150.  From memory it sold originally in Oz for around $70.  Taking into account inflation and the fact that it came out almost 15 years ago, that's not a huge return.  Sure, you may get lucky and find someone in the first few months following the sale who's desperate, but if you hang onto it for 10+ years expecting it to be worth thousands, I think you'd be disappointed.

Same thing with ticket sales for concerts.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Outsider
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Outsider »

i agree with that HB. but you are just basically buying someone's artwork with a crisp new CD. if they would have released a couple of live tunes (besides the ones that are on there) from opiate with it I'd be all over that shit. I'm still very curious how much they want for it. my guess would be between $25.00 to $35.00 U.S.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

crow011 said

Kittaan said

awwww...you're not an asshole.....you're just a wittle teddy bear aren'tchoo you....

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

ilikecheese said

crow011 said

Kittaan said

awwww...you're not an asshole.....you're just a wittle teddy bear aren'tchoo you....

Hee hee.

FUCK YOU, CUNTBAG.