The Grudge (WARNING: 26 years to #6?)

The Main Event
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: Meh... why bother?)

Post by budsyralli »

by then the dvd should be out.
go taff!
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Well.....the new Mad Max film went into pre-production in 2003. And it's only just coming out this year. So that's 12 years.

And....well, ok....what else? Well Axl still hasn't churned something out in 7 years. So, ok....not quite as bad but there you go.

Oh....Jim Cameron's been working on a new Avatar film for 6 years and it's still only in pre-production, so that's something else. Not quite as bad again. But still.

Um.....ok I'm wracking my brains here to make the 10 year gap seem not so bad.

But yeah.........a 10 year gap is pretty bad.

:|
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Life wasn't shit in the last 10 years, so I guess it ain't really that bad at all.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

23 years in the making:

lo7us

Post by lo7us »

Avatar changed my life. I just wish that I was more blue.
From bearded clam cums bearded jam
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote:Life wasn't shit in the last 10 years, so I guess it ain't really that bad at all.

I meant - "a ten year gap between Tool albums isn't so bad when you think about it, seeing as ......................... took ........ years to release .................................."
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Minson
Maynard Believer

Post by Minson »

Well since its almost time for one of those darn Tool news letters again, I figure i might as well share something, potentially ruffle some feathers. Problem 8. I feel most of you have been banging our face against this enigma for quite some time. However, its simple. "Problem 8" was used by one of the members of Tool or if not all of them to make a mockery of their fans, their "TOOL ARMY". However, its not a "Problem", its more of a "Section", Section 8. Section 8 Military to be exact. What is Section 8? The term Section 8 refers to a former category of discharge from the United States military, that of a member judged mentally unfit for service. It also came to mean any service member given such a discharge or behaving as if deserving such a discharge, as in the expression, "he's a Section 8". The term comes from Section VIII of the World War II-era United States Army Regulation 615-360, which provided for the discharge of those deemed unfit for military service. With that said, Tool has been poking fun at you, all of you. You have taken their art to a level they cannot comprehend. You have created this theoretical concept you call Tool. You are "Problem 8". Now with that said....do i win a prize?
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Post by inspiration_tactic »

^I agree with this. Even if tool left a bunch of Easter eggs for people to uncover and interpret, would you really want to be THAT anal-ytical as to come up with some hypothesis that will never be confirmed? What is the end-game? If I surmise something from their lyrics or their behaviors it's likely just my own interpretation that garners no real acknowledgement or agreement from other fans or band members, regardless of the validity of my "findings". Even my interpretation of problem 8, right now, is case in point. Hmmm.
choose to spiral out... or shut the fuck up
Jool
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Jool »

You guys are my heroes. I think a similar post should go on the site of geniuses that is reddit. I like to think the following here on fourth eye is not as engulfed in the cloud of Problem 8 as those guys are.
#9[align=center]#9[/align][align=right]#9[/align]
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

It's no crazier than any other theory I've seen presented, and you're not the first to point out the fact that Tool seems to get off on fucking with their fans.

I have no problem (8 or otherwise) with Blair (and presumably the members of Tool) yanking chains. I also have no problem with the conspiracy theorists who delight in chasing rabbits wearing glasses down their hidey-holes.

But I personally can't be bothered to spend much time or energy on either of those pursuits. As others have mentioned, the bottom line is the music. The rest of it is just noise, albeit amusing at times. It's been a long wait, and I hope I find it worthy when the next release comes out. I will certainly be interested to hear news on that front, whenever it comes.
Ki77aan :twisted:
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Jool wrote:You guys are my heroes. I think a similar post should go on the site of geniuses that is reddit. I like to think the following here on fourth eye is not as engulfed in the cloud of Problem 8 as those guys are.
Talk about a place of tool circle-jerking.
I like to poop naked.
Jool
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Jool »

I give them the benefit of the doubt, we were all in kindergarten once, no?
#9[align=center]#9[/align][align=right]#9[/align]
budsyralli
Fornicraster

Post by budsyralli »

fuck I miss story time......we had the best substitute teacher in our school that told stories with such emotiom, emphasis, spirit....

bring back story time BLAIR!
go taff!
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

its not really my business what the band members do or get through in their lifes, but I have a strong feeling that Camella Grace, and the connection she had with Adam, had an enormous effect on that guy's creativity, passion, vision, etc.
It sounds like a soap opera and its really not my business, but i think she was the love of his life, and he had to get through it, had to find a partner, he chose to be a father, settle, and so on.
But that love is broken, and anyone who had experienced such an overwhelming, inspiring love, and the breaking of that, knows that anything that comes after is only comforting, to help you find peace and stability.
But the fire is gone. And I'm also pretty sure that divorce was not an easy one also.

He is surely one of the most intelligent and sophisticated musician ever walked on this planet, so he is capable of beautiful music that is polished to perfection, but as I heard his frustration on Undertow, his anger in Aenima, and then his faith,love, beauty, whatever in Lateralus.... i kinda heard his bitterness and tiredness on 10.000 days.. and it was mainly his area that for me had something missing (though MJK-s lyrics are also pretty lame sometimes)

I know all of the guys work pretty well, and I know every one of them is a unique voice and entity on their own, but for me the overall katalyst, motor, boss, key of the band is Adam
It always felt like its somehow his project and he needs a Mouth, A Beast/Clock and a Justinchancellor to help him tell what he has to tell

shit, as I read it again its like love magasine for teens or something :D
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Adam is like the 3rd most important member of the band. I don't mean that as an insult, it's just what I think.

What really set them apart was May Jay and (especially) Danny. Danny is THE monster in a band of monsters.
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Ravenpig wrote:Danny is THE monster in a band of monsters.
Theeeeees
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Adam may be the "third most important" member of the band, but all members are so important that it only takes one being out of action to halt work on the album. From a songwriting perspective, I expect Adam is the most important member of the band.
Busty McCracken Jr

Post by Busty McCracken Jr »

It''s reasonable (at least in my mind) to say that Danny Carey's work outside of Tool doesn't come close to, so it' fair to say that Danny needs the other 3 as much as Adam as needs the other 3. Take any of the individual members out and they'd all be fucked.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Danny kicked plenty of ass in the Volto! and Pigmy Love Circus albums. Even if you didn't care for either it wasn't because of him. (I'm talking in general here not directed at you Busty)
Hey! Denty!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

hellboy wrote:Adam may be the "third most important" member of the band, but all members are so important that it only takes one being out of action to halt work on the album. From a songwriting perspective, I expect Adam is the most important member of the band.
As I wrote, I didn't mean it as an insult. And I agree.
Hey! Denty!
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Ravenpig wrote:
hellboy wrote:Adam may be the "third most important" member of the band, but all members are so important that it only takes one being out of action to halt work on the album. From a songwriting perspective, I expect Adam is the most important member of the band.
As I wrote, I didn't mean it as an insult. And I agree.
I've always thought that Adam is the most important member of the band. if you take a member and replace him with a master craftsman but keep Adam you're guaranteed to still have a great band that sounds a lot like Tool. if Adam leaves you have a completely different band that sounds nothing like Tool, plus the quality of music takes a nose dive. if you replace Maynard with like Cornell or Carey with Bozzio, Justin with Inez you still have a band that sounds a lot like Tool if Adam is still there. on the flip side if everyone stays and you just replace Adam with like Jon Hudson, Iha or Howerdel there will be a significant drop off and you would get music that does not sound anything like Tool, plus the complexity level is brought down a notch. just my opinion.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
budsyralli
Fornicraster

Post by budsyralli »

cornell replacing maynard...umm no thanks. my feeling is no-one can be replaced.....except paul that is.
go taff!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

At this point in time I doubt any of the members are replaceable. I have heard rumblings that Adam, Danny & Justin would continue playing together with a new singer should Maynard ever throw in the towel though, but I don't think they would play as "Tool".

But in all fairness, were Tool to break up, I'd imagine what has happened over the last 8 years is what would continue to happen - Danny would do his Volto and Baked Potato thing, Maynard would do Puscifer/APC/wines and Justin & Adam would largely disappear with the odd side project here and there.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

This is a cool conversation. I also agree that all of the members are integral in achieving the sound that TOOL has honed over the years, and I do not believe that any of them could be replaced. I also agree that Adam is very much the driving force behind the overall theme and composition of the of the instrumental music, which in turn enables MJK to do his thing.
Be good to each other.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

I wouldn't be surprised if Maynard was done with tool after this album, and the other 3 released an instrumental album. I would love that. Just songs like Triad... maybe Triad is a good name for that 3 man band. ..