Opiate 21st Anniversary Edition hits the printers

Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

ToolUser said
Just that you seem to criticize the quality of conversation here then dont offer much yourself. Entertain us all with your wisdom and wise ways so we can learn to be like you.

What do I fucking look like to you, Yoda?!?!?! Righto, knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.. Now you're that little bit smarter, go & dress like a bogan, crack open a beer & you're halfway there to being more like me. 

Like i alluded to, if a bloke has worked his arse off to become supremely talented at the drums & helped form a band that's now over 20 years old & hugely successful, perhaps he's earned the right to go on a holiday to Hawaii, coz he damn well can.. For all you know, he's got a mate over there that's in trouble.. Perhaps it's still a bit cold in L.A & he felt like some sun.. Who knows... but to categorically state that he's gone over there to find inspiration is laughable & in my opinion makes the person that stated it, an idiot.. 
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

ilikecheese said 
Same thing with ticket sales for concerts.

Yep, and that's the thing that bothers me about scalping - not the price, but the fact that the "average joe" doesn't necessarily get first dibs on ticket sales.
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Its been a little more lax—as in relaxed. But it’s nice. We live kind of cushy lives now, so we get together when we want. 

It makes everything go slow, which is unfortunate—we all would have liked to have been done with a new record a long time ago—but when it’s done, it’s gonna be good. 

There are no bonus tracks.

Laziest cunt ever. Lost a ton of respect for Adam the most for being a lazy cunt and Danny Carey for spinning bullshit when it comes to dates since way back when. They can go and get fucked! Might as well save everyone the agony of a new album since most likely its  going to be shit anyway (half of 10,000 days was segues and half arsed B sides). Disband now! As for setbacks, we all have them in life. Everyone goes through a rough patch in their lives but people take a sickie for a week or two and come back to work.Not 7 fucking years! I wish I could take a 7 year sickie off my work - cushy lives hey? I bet if they had to pay the rent they would be forced to churn out an album like in the Opiate-Undertow-Aenima era. Cunt...

Oh and fuck you children! 
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Busty I was talking to kittaan. Read before you post you dull cunt.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

And where did I catergoricaly state danny went to hawaii for inspiration?
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Nice post doors I didnt think your brain could string two words together let alone express real emotion!

I agree though,people in the real world suffer tragedies all the time,one example,a guy in my town killed himself a few weeks ago and his immediate family were all back at work within a week. I dont think thats an exception either,most people I know simply have no choice but deal with it an get on with their lives. I dont begrudge tool the fact that they can afford to spend a year grieving or whatever im just highlighting the fact they have made it and they know it an they sure as shit are gonna take their time an do what the fuck they like. And they are entitled to. It just makes all that smoke and mirrors bullshit seem a little pathetic,ohh tool are so mysterious i wonder why they are taking so long with the album?? maybe they are waiting for the magic potion to finish..oh no hold on adams watching the rock manhandle papashango while danny sits on a beach in hawaii!

AJ does come across as rather pretentious too.Just saw a youtube clip of him and Maynard and he is asked about the writing process and he says some shit about the music writes itself they just guide it and help it along... what a load of bollox,,writing and rewriting the same riff over and over til you have exhausted all avenues doesnt sound like a natural process of helping it along to me.I bet he believes his own mumbojumbo bullshit.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

doors said
Its been a little more lax—as in relaxed. But it’s nice. We live kind of cushy lives now, so we get together when we want. 

It makes everything go slow, which is unfortunate—we all would have liked to have been done with a new record a long time ago—but when it’s done, it’s gonna be good. 

Laziest cunt ever. Lost a ton of respect for Adam the most for being a lazy cunt and Danny Carey for spinning bullshit when it comes to dates since way back when. They can go and get fucked! Might as well save everyone the agony of a new album since most likely its  going to be shit anyway (half of 10,000 days was segues and half arsed B sides). Disband now! As for setbacks, we all have them in life. Everyone goes through a rough patch in their lives but people take a sickie for a week or two and come back to work.Not 7 fucking years! I wish I could take a 7 year sickie off my work - cushy lives hey? I bet if they had to pay the rent they would be forced to churn out an album like in the Opiate-Undertow-Aenima era. Cunt...

I'm trying really hard to not spread the negativity in this forum, because it's obviously become a (repetitive and boring) problem, but I think this is right on the money.

We're not pissed at TOOL for taking forever to release an album (though it's certainly a source of discomfort). We're more pissed at all the false-positives, foreplay, and "teasers". It's old and fucking rude.

That's why there's so much negativity voiced about the band here.

I just thought I'd point that out.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

crow011 said

doors said

I'm trying really hard to not spread the negativity in this forum, because it's obviously become a (repetitive and boring) problem, but I think this is right on the money.

We're not pissed at TOOL for taking forever to release an album (though it's certainly a source of discomfort). We're more pissed at all the false-positives, foreplay, and "teasers". It's old and fucking rude.

I think you and doors have nailed it. Its not the lack of album its the bullshit. As fans I dont think we are owed anything by the band but the smoke and mirrors act is pretty chhildish and for them to come out now and say oh sorry actualy we just got rich and lazy..makes them look like cunts.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

ToolUser said
Nice post doors I didnt think your brain could string two words together let alone express real emotion!

I agree though,people in the real world suffer tragedies all the time,one example,a guy in my town killed himself a few weeks ago and his immediate family were all back at work within a week. I dont think thats an exception either,most people I know simply have no choice but deal with it an get on with their lives. I dont begrudge tool the fact that they can afford to spend a year grieving or whatever im just highlighting the fact they have made it and they know it an they sure as shit are gonna take their time an do what the fuck they like. And they are entitled to. It just makes all that smoke and mirrors bullshit seem a little pathetic,ohh tool are so mysterious i wonder why they are taking so long with the album?? maybe they are waiting for the magic potion to finish..oh no hold on adams watching the rock manhandle papashango while danny sits on a beach in hawaii!

AJ does come across as rather pretentious too.Just saw a youtube clip of him and Maynard and he is asked about the writing process and he says some shit about the music writes itself they just guide it and help it along... what a load of bollox,,writing and rewriting the same riff over and over til you have exhausted all avenues doesnt sound like a natural process of helping it along to me.I bet he believes his own mumbojumbo bullshit.

TORI AMOS used to spout shit like that. "I don't know where the music comes from - I just write it. The lyrics, too. I don't know what they mean."

Yeah, it sounds like it.

Say this kind of shit if you're a writer, and you know what people will call you? A FUCKING IDIOT.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

ToolUser said

crow011 said

doors said

I think you and doors have nailed it. Its not the lack of album its the bullshit. As fans I dont think we are owed anything by the band but the smoke and mirrors act is pretty chhildish and for them to come out now and say oh sorry actualy we just got rich and lazy..makes them look like cunts.

Absolutely. I know I use this example a lot, but it works: Imagine if THE MELVINS spouted shit like that.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Tool isn't The Melvins though. I don't need or want them to be. I have the Melvins for that. I've got a bunch of other bands for my "give it to me right fucking now" fix.

Christ, I want them to release this album just so people have more to talk about/bitch about! We've exhausted almost every avenue of conversation surrounding the band outside of a) details of a new show/set list if and when they play it, and b) some new revelation about some musical aspect of the previous releases no one has noticed. Which... maybe this release will spur in someone? Doubt it, haha.

On that note though... I did recently notice something in Reflection while blaring it through our lovely band PA system at the rehearsal space the other night. During the final "...pine away" heavy run at the end, the kind of chugging bass riff Justin is playing under everything is AMAZING. It's really simple, but the sound they got for it and the way it subtly blends with everything made my jaw hit the floor after all these years never hearing it. It's one of those sounds that certain soundsystems just won't bring out for various reasons, but you can really hear it on ours if it's LOUD. It's only for like 2 bars or something it hits this sweet spot and... yeah. Those fucking songs.
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

joeypants said

On that note though... I did recently notice something in Reflection while blaring it through our lovely band PA system at the rehearsal space the other night. During the final "...pine away" heavy run at the end, the kind of chugging bass riff Justin is playing under everything is AMAZING. It's really simple, but the sound they got for it and the way it subtly blends with everything made my jaw hit the floor after all these years never hearing it. It's one of those sounds that certain soundsystems just won't bring out for various reasons, but you can really hear it on ours if it's LOUD. It's only for like 2 bars or something it hits this sweet spot and... yeah. Those fucking songs.

Same here.  I've been working on covering Reflection with an acoustic bass, and I demoed it for a buddy Tuesday.  I use a combination of flanger + distortion while I'm doing that riff and he said it sounded other-worldly.  That's probably my favorite Chancellor song, even though most people's criticism is that it's super repetitive.  I just tell them to have patience for the payoff.  Glad you're still getting some payoff.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Yeah, repetitive can be a great thing. Nothing grinds my gears worse than automatic "rule based" cries of "it's too long!" or "it feels a little repetitive."
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

joeypants said
Tool isn't The Melvins though. I don't need or want them to be. I have the Melvins for that. I've got a bunch of other bands for my "give it to me right fucking now" fix.

Christ, I want them to release this album just so people have more to talk about/bitch about! We've exhausted almost every avenue of conversation surrounding the band outside of a) details of a new show/set list if and when they play it, and b) some new revelation about some musical aspect of the previous releases no one has noticed. Which... maybe this release will spur in someone? Doubt it, haha.

Finally. Holy fuck.

SteveBobSteve
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Holy shit. Some fucking sense in this forum.

"Reflection" is fucking gorgeous. A heart-wrenching behemoth of creativity.

That whole album is where it is. If TOOL kick us in the nuts from now to eternity, I'll still have that album. I almost forgive them for "10,000 DAYS". How do you follow "LATERALUS", really.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

crow011 said

That whole album is where it is. If TOOL kick us in the nuts from now to eternity, I'll still have that album. I almost forgive them for "10,000 DAYS". How do you follow "LATERALUS", really.

One of my best friends, who likes Tool but they might barely make his Top 10, told me something that always stuck with me after the first time we heard 10K Days.

"That is a fucking bad ass album but half of the more 'hardcore' Tool fans are going to shit all over it because it followed Aenima and Lateralus."

And he was right.  (I am well aware that there are a legit number of you who just don't like it, but that is the complaint I've heard the most over the years).

Oh and Reflection is tits.  SO glad I got to hear it live as a part of the D/R/T trilogy.
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Ravenpig said

crow011 said

One of my best friends, who likes Tool but they might barely make his Top 10, told me something that always stuck with me after the first time we heard 10K Days.

"That is a fucking bad ass album but half of the more 'hardcore' Tool fans are going to shit all over it because it followed Aenima and Lateralus."

And he was right.  (I am well aware that there are a legit number of you who just don't like it, but that is the complaint I've heard the most over the years).

Oh and Reflection is tits.  SO glad I got to hear it live as a part of the D/R/T trilogy.

Well, maybe I'm contradicting myself, but I both just don't think it's very good, and that it was going to be tough following "LATERALUS" anyway.

To be honest, building up to the album and hearing it for the first time, I was expecting "LATERALUS 4.0". As in, pretty much the same, but reaching a lot higher. Going a bit deeper. Digging a little harder in the lyrics department. Branching out a little more.

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Musically/aurally they definitely have "advanced" each time out. I don't even think that's debatable. Whether it hits that sweet spot in your gut or not is an entirely subjective thing.

But musically they always seem to grow, even if they don't quite congeal it all together as well as Lateralus feels. It's the #1 reason I can't wait for their next work. Lyrically... I'm hoping for more of a return to the older standards. Or more to the point, branching further outwards and hopefully hitting a new peak. But that's by Tool standards. Honestly, most bands don't interest me in the slightest lyrically and 10K Days still blows away 99% of what I listen to otherwise in that department. Oddly enough, Big Business is one of the only other groups I've found in a long time that actually interests me from a lyrical standpoint.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Only discovered Tool about 2 or 3 years ago,cant remember now,but I only discovered reflection a matter of month's ago and indeed what a fucking track! I like how at first it seems just pitiful and depressing then as it goes on it turns out to be totally uplifting and inspiring,wierdly reminds me of gravity by apc for some reason.

I cant think of the bass part joeys talking about off the top of my head but its the simple repetetive hooks that catch my attention and take it away somewhere when I had a joint and am just chilling listening to music. Gonna have to check it out later when I have a smoke,cheers joey!!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

crow011 said

Ravenpig said

crow011 said

Well, maybe I'm contradicting myself, but I both just don't think it's very good, and that it was going to be tough following "LATERALUS" anyway.

To be honest, building up to the album and hearing it for the first time, I was expecting "LATERALUS 4.0". As in, pretty much the same, but reaching a lot higher. Going a bit deeper. Digging a little harder in the lyrics department. Branching out a little more.

Honestly I probably would've hated a Lateralus version 2.0 or whatever as much as you hate 10K Days.  I remember the rumors that they were doing that and I was worried.  To me that would've been like Floyd doing a Dark Side part two.  Lame.  What's done is done time to move on.

Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

joeypants said
Musically/aurally they definitely have "advanced" each time out. I don't even think that's debatable. Whether it hits that sweet spot in your gut or not is an entirely subjective thing.

But musically they always seem to grow, even if they don't quite congeal it all together as well as Lateralus feels. It's the #1 reason I can't wait for their next work. Lyrically... I'm hoping for more of a return to the older standards. Or more to the point, branching further outwards and hopefully hitting a new peak. But that's by Tool standards. Honestly, most bands don't interest me in the slightest lyrically and 10K Days still blows away 99% of what I listen to otherwise in that department. Oddly enough, Big Business is one of the only other groups I've found in a long time that actually interests me from a lyrical standpoint.

So much win.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

ToolUser said

Lighten up dude.  If that was to me, you could have mentioned that in your post, right?  All this talk of lazy and look who fits the bill.

I already answered your question by the way.  Why are you up my arse about this anyway, and what do YOU bring to the table?  

Edit: Fuck, I almost deleted this, because I was just pontificating about not being so negative... but I'll let it stand.  
Ki77aan :twisted:
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Kittaan said

ToolUser said

Lighten up dude.  If that was to me, you could have mentioned that in your post, right?  All this talk of lazy and look who fits the bill.

I already answered your question by the way.  Why are you up my arse about this anyway, and what do YOU bring to the table?  

Edit: Fuck, I almost deleted this, because I was just pontificating about not being so negative... but I'll let it stand.  

I think we'll all allow it. Pretty much all of us have your back.

Ugh, just when we were starting to become a bit more positive . . .

phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

joeypants said

This is pretty much my opinion on 10k days and beyond.  I didn't like 10k days as much, but Right in Two and Vicarious are decent.  The music has always gotten better, and my viewpoint is through Justin's playing.  I can play most of the pre-10k days stuff, but the stuff he plays now is just ridiculous.  On the other hand, I think the lyrics are getting worse.  The lyrics complete the songs for me, and 10k days fell short in that regard.

I can understand now why you haven't searched for a singer to be in your band.
James
Fanboi

Post by James »

crow011 said

joeypants said

So much win.

I love 10,000 Days for the musical side of it--Jambi is one of Tool's greatest pieces, in my opinion. But the drop in quality regarding the lyrics is what disappoints me with the album. There are moments--"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift his eyes to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here." from Right In Two, for example. But in my opinion, overall, the lyrics of 10,000 Days are nowhere comparable to those from their older albums especially. The water metaphors throughout Undertow continue throughout, tying it all together, bringing the listener under as well. But where 10,000 Days jumps forward in instrumental ability, it steps back when it comes to lyrics.