Fancy dinner with Maynard?

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

He performs behind those screens with Puscifer.  The ones that like blow up his face.
Don't mow your lawn
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

UndKeineEier
March 16, 2013 at 5:55 pm
"He performs behind those screens with Puscifer. The ones that like blow up his face."

Dear UndKeineEier,

I've only seen that on the video of whatever live late night show they performed on. Back when I was giving Puscifer a chance. That screen deal... that's pretty cool I kind of liked it. I saw Primus a few years ago and they had something similar for a part of their show.

Best Regards,
Zwerewolf
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Ravenpig said
The APC tour when Thirteenth Step was released he performed the first song or two behind a mini screen with a light behind him so you could only see his shadow.

At least at the show I saw. I'm sure there's some videos on YouTube.

this is true... first couple songs at each show on that tour... example:

I specifically remember vanishing from the pittsburgh show done this way

well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Thanks guys - I figured it was more of a reference to Tool.  I never got the chance to see APC on the 13th Step tour, nor have I watched any bootlegs of it, so haven't seen him behind the sheet at those shows.

Thing is, most of these comments are usually made with some kind of reference about how Maynard ignores the crowd, etc. (I'm not trying to say he doesn't for that matter) rather than for artistic effect as it obvious at APC and Puscifer shows.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

exactly. this is about his wine business. you gotta get out there among the people and shit.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

i think some of us can simply enjoy some wine in the evening without ruining our lives. some are able to enjoy spirits without it becoming some big "issue".
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

you can't comprehend people with money spending it on something they feel they will enjoy?

everyone is different. this planet has a variety of things to offer and as many different types of people. you aren't someone that can enjoy this particular event.

life will go on, and we'll all keep breathing in spite of this dinner. it's amazing.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

The image of him doing it at a brunch would be funny. I still don't understand why he's always in the back. I know Morrison had social anxiety so he used to keep his eyes closed for the first few songs when he performed with the Doors, or actually turn his back. He wasn't trying to be weird or artsy he just couldn't deal with the thought. Maynard for some reason makes a conscious decision to stay in the back or in the dark. One thing he definitely hates is the strobes, flash bulbs and smoke. I remember that old show they did, pre-Undertow, in that ratty small bar shot on VHS where he wouldn't come out from behind a pole until the spot light on him was turned off. What a freak!!

Love this band. Can't wait for new material. Still super psyched, even after more than 20 years. I still remember my older cousin Stephanie taking the Nirvana "Bleach" tape out of my hand and putting "Opiate" in it like it was yesterday. I clearly remember thinking, wow this lead singer's vocals were even more violent than Kurt when he let loose those screams. Then the drum and bass break change towards the end of "Sweat" blew my mind. My initial reaction was that the breakdown was weird/odd/unique but very hard and fast, like Primus on steroids. They had me.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

NYHC81 said
The image of him doing it at a brunch would be funny. I still don't understand why he's always in the back. I know Morrison had social anxiety so he used to keep his eyes closed for the first few songs when he performed with the Doors, or actually turn his back. He wasn't trying to be weird or artsy he just couldn't deal with the thought. Maynard for some reason makes a conscious decision to stay in the back or in the dark. One thing he definitely hates is the strobes, flash bulbs and smoke. I remember that old show they did, pre-Undertow, in that ratty small bar shot on VHS where he wouldn't come out from behind a pole until the spot light on him was turned off. What a freak!!

Love this band. Can't wait for new material. Still super psyched, even after more than 20 years. I still remember my older cousin Stephanie taking the Nirvana "Bleach" tape out of my hand and putting "Opiate" in it like it was yesterday. I clearly remember thinking, wow this lead singer's vocals were even more violent than Kurt when he let loose those screams. Then the drum and bass break change towards the end of "Sweat" blew my mind. My initial reaction was that the breakdown was weird/odd/unique but very hard and fast, like Primus on steroids. They had me.

JEFF MARTIN, like most nervous musicians, just used to wear sunglasses. Worked for him and dozens of others.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

I read somewhere that he stays at the back so the drums and guitars and shit dont interfere with his mic and because he doesnt want to be a 'front man' or the focal point of the crowds attention.

Also well said doors,maynard seems to have taken a lot of the flak as to why tool hasnt released anything when its pretty clear if any of them has their shit together its him. Its easy to see why he doesnt want to be asked about tool,theres simply nothing to talk about! Still writing!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

ToolUser said
I read somewhere that he stays at the back so the drums and guitars and shit dont interfere with his mic and because he doesnt want to be a 'front man' or the focal point of the crowds attention.

Also well said doors,maynard seems to have taken a lot of the flak as to why tool hasnt released anything when its pretty clear if any of them has their shit together its him. Its easy to see why he doesnt want to be asked about tool,theres simply nothing to talk about! Still writing!

This doesn't make much sense to me, but I really don't know much about this sort of thing. Why would moving a few meters make any difference in what the mic can pick up? Especially in a place that is absolutely drenched in sound?

Can anyone clear this up?
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

I think its as simple as being that few metres back means he is behind the line of amps and moniters and shit. I might be wrong but I think thats all it is.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

ToolUser said
I think its as simple as being that few metres back means he is behind the line of amps and moniters and shit. I might be wrong but I think thats all it is.

Fair enough. Like I said, I don't really know, so I was hoping someone could teach me.

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Justin even said in one of those radio interviews that it helps make communication easier with him and May Jay onstage. But from what I've read its mostly the mic thing/ less attention on him.

Oh and Jim Morrison only did the back to the crowd thing in the early days of the band, when they were still playing clubs in L. A. Stopped doing it as soon as he got over his fear of singing in front of strangers.
Hey! Denty!
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Not to really derail the thread but 1/2 the time Morrison was black-out drunk and/or on some more powerful substance before he even hit the stage.  That'll tend to help you get over any social anxiety one may have.

Back on topic, if I had like an extra grand to drop on 2 plates at this thing plus to get a really nice room at a really nice hotel in the area I'd make a weekend of it but I don't, so I won't.

I wonder too, if the ravioli's will be from the Caduceus line as well.  Don't they make pasta now or something?
I like to poop naked.
James
Fanboi

Post by James »

markuspoop said
Not to really derail the thread but 1/2 the time Morrison was black-out drunk and/or on some more powerful substance before he even hit the stage.  That'll tend to help you get over any social anxiety one may have.

Back on topic, if I had like an extra grand to drop on 2 plates at this thing plus to get a really nice room at a really nice hotel in the area I'd make a weekend of it but I don't, so I won't.

I wonder too, if the ravioli's will be from the Caduceus line as well.  Don't they make pasta now or something?

They serve their own pasta in the Tasting Room, I'm pretty sure, but I don't know if they'll be bringing their own food with them. Flying it up there might mean freezing it for a time period, and I figure they would be against that...but then, I don't really know a thing about cooking.

DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

I thought it was more about the lasers or camera flashes that he's trying to avoid by being farther back.

and yes, because of the nature of monitors, guitar amps, bass, ect. position of where you're standing can make a huge difference.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

DRURY said
I thought it was more about the lasers or camera flashes that he's trying to avoid by being farther back.

and yes, because of the nature of monitors, guitar amps, bass, ect. position of where you're standing can make a huge difference.

Probably shouldn't have them as part of your show then, I guess. Many other bands seem to be able to put on a kick-ass show without all the bells-and-whistles.
Jethro Tool
Maynard Believer

Post by Jethro Tool »

Bleach is better than opiate. Hands down.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

@Jethro Tool between Bleach, Nevermind, Opiate, Undertow, Gish, Siamese Dream, Rage Against the Machine, Badmotorfinger, Sailing the Seas of Cheese & Pork Soda that summer (93') when they were all available was the greatest summer ever. My parents talk about the late 60's but the early 90's (during the LSD wave) were incredible. When you look back it really added up!!!! Throw in the Beasties....damn, no wonder I never came home for dinner on time!!
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

Maynard makes his own ravioli, actually at times he does this for the town people of jerome, I have a chef friend who works for one of the resteraunt maynard frequents here in phoenix, he & some other chefs got a chance to cater an event he had, said maynard was actually in the kitchen with them cooking & cracking jokes said he was actually a down to earth guy
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

toolphishdhs said 
My theory? He just likes standing in the back. plain and simple. I actually like it that way. he and the other guys just fade into the music and thats what makes the shows so captivating. it is not a bad thing that he isnt at the front of the stage with makeup acting like a clown anymore. That is what puscifer is for.

Yeah, I think that's the main reason - to let the music and the visual element of the show take the limelight, rather than him up front wearing a dress (not that I don't enjoy that era Tool show either).
levba
My pain is just an excuse

Post by levba »

NYHC81 said
@Jethro Tool between Bleach, Nevermind, Opiate, Undertow, Gish, Siamese Dream, Rage Against the Machine, Badmotorfinger, Sailing the Seas of Cheese & Pork Soda that summer (93') when they were all available was the greatest summer ever. My parents talk about the late 60's but the early 90's (during the LSD wave) were incredible. When you look back it really added up!!!! Throw in the Beasties....damn, no wonder I never came home for dinner on time!!

93 was the shit...the shit I tell you...
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Jethro Tool said
Bleach is better than opiate. Hands down.

I've never done bleach.

Saw a guy drink it once though.  He was trying to off himself.  Not a good scene really.

Stupid fucker; that was not cool.  I moved eventually.  Don't know what happened to him either.  

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.