Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Moridin
Has been

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Moridin »

Calfium Jay wrote:In all seriousness, in the four months leading up to the Halloween gig, I can imagine they'd get through a shit load of new material (perhaps even finish the damn thing?) - although premiering any of it at the festival would be a long, long shot.
I agree. It was the March Newsletter that Blair said MJK had been at The Loft adding vocals to the few tracks that were developed enough for him. From there to Halloween is 7 months, I'd imagine/hope that'd be enough time to complete the remaining tracks. Or not, who knows.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

You guys are acting like Typical Tool Fans

:roll:
also, Avatar!
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

i personally didnt expect the news/'wait for it...' to be the new album or salival 2... i did however hope that it would be news. A real progress update. A greatest hits show in AZ is lame...
"But as an artist, you don't want to become a greatest hits version of yourself..."
-MJK
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Just a bit of perspective here...

Tool is a fucking amazing live band. That's a huge part of the reason we all love them. The closer you get to the new album, as much as we want that... the closer you get to hearing little to no old songs at the live shows. So enjoy any of these shows that pop up that are bound to be filled with amazing older stuff. You know they'll probably trot out at least one classic that they haven't played in the last few years (Eulogy is fucking long overdue for a return... ditto tons of stuff off Undertow).

And even IF they do the set from the last go arounds, or something very similar, those were honestly some of the best sets they've played since 10K Days so... enjoy it while it lasts.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Aye, soon they'll be playing a bunch of stuff that just "isn't like the old Tool, man.."
also, Avatar!
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

Riot Fest just got announced, no tool (no surprise there).

System of a down tho... See you in Chi Town.
Leo
Bronco's Fan

Post by Leo »

It's a live show from your favorite band... and it's not a crappy 30 mins performance... i think if you have to chance to see them live for the 40th time in 9 years... go for it, i mean... enjoy their live performances while they are still alive, yeah might not be as cool as Lateralus tour...but still we are all fans of these guys. Now,,, 100$ dlls sounds expensive... but it's a nice way to spend halloween night :)....
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

trilobite wrote:Aye, soon they'll be playing a bunch of stuff that just "isn't like the old Tool, man.."
Pretty much this. Tool can't really win - everyone will have some form of complaint about their set list. I do wish they had more variety though.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

hellboy wrote:
trilobite wrote:Aye, soon they'll be playing a bunch of stuff that just "isn't like the old Tool, man.."
Pretty much this. Tool can't really win - everyone will have some form of complaint about their set list. I do wish they had more variety though.
Tool will likely play roughly 10 songs-ish..

6 of which will be almost certainly be: Lateralus, Ænema, Forty-Six & 2, Jambi, Stinkfist and Schism....

The last 4 songs will be from the list of revolving tracks they play live: Third Eye, Pushit, Intension, Sober, Vicarious, etc.

With one song being a complete surprise much like Opiate was in '14. Im not complaining, im just stating the obvious, they are great live but they dont change it up much. Greatest Hits band until further notice.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

And I'll throw these into the mix: Ticks & Leeches, Hooker, Lateralus (more of a staple really), and Parabola.

Last festival I saw them was 2012, and it was awesome. Instead of the horse shit 5 minute segues in between songs they just blasted through it on about an hour and 20 minutes- crowd was more responsive than a typical arena show and that's hard to do at a festival. As long as they have the full stage production and no stupid fucking intermission I'm pretty sure I'll have a good time.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

joeypants wrote: those were honestly some of the best sets they've played since 10K Days so... enjoy it while it lasts.

No offence but Tool fans have been "enjoying it while it lasts" OVER and OVER for about the last four years while they've consistently trotted out the same setlist again and again.

Talk about going through the motions.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Nothing like people complaining about the setlist for a concert they ain't going to.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Personally, the only song I dislike from the "current" setlist is Vicarious. Not so much because I dislike the song, but because Maynard just isn't up for it. It shouldn't bother me that he drops a couple of lines at the end, but it does.

It's hard to look a gift horse in the mouth - I certainly wouldn't skip a Tool show in Adelaide for a reason as trivial as the setlist of stage show not changing. For me a gig is about the live performance - the lighting and video, while enjoyable on many levels are just fluff. I'd like to think a Tool show would be just as enjoyable to me with subtle lighting as it does with their current extravaganza.

Hopefully they'll drag out at least one new track from the archives.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

I agree. If they came to my town I wouldn't skip the show, but I think we can all agree that it's getting a little silly at this point. It's one thing to continue playing your old material for years if you don't make music anymore, but for a band to remind their fans, annually at least, that new music is coming soon (dannys false dates the past few years) and then continually play live shows with no sign of said music, is a bit ridiculous.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

They've played a few pieces of new music (minus May Jay) these past few years.
UndKeineZwEier wrote:Nothing like people complaining about the setlist for a concert they ain't going to.
I've said this so many times here. It makes zero sense.
Hey! Denty!
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Fucking vitriolic in here eh..

Been doing suuuuch a great job at waiting thus far, just a bit longer

Soon*
also, Avatar!
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

hellboy wrote:
Ettan wrote:I will only be dissapointed if they play the same set of songs that they've played since 2012. And enough with the bullhorn already.. play instrumental songs like Triad instead.
I would brace yourself for said disappointment then. I have a hard time believe this show will be significantly different from those on the last 3-4 years. Save your money, don't buy a ticket.

Or go into the show with no expectations, and you may find you'll enjoy yourself.

2012? Try 2009. Same lame set set list.
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

I think The Patient would be an oppropriate song on the setlist at least haha
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

badkittygothgirl wrote:
hellboy wrote:
Ettan wrote:I will only be dissapointed if they play the same set of songs that they've played since 2012. And enough with the bullhorn already.. play instrumental songs like Triad instead.
I would brace yourself for said disappointment then. I have a hard time believe this show will be significantly different from those on the last 3-4 years. Save your money, don't buy a ticket.

Or go into the show with no expectations, and you may find you'll enjoy yourself.

2012? Try 2009. Same lame set set list.
They more or less played the same set from 2006 - 2009, then in 2010 they added a couple of old ones like Intolerance and Third Eye. They played that setlist in 2011 as well. Then in 2012 they changed it again with Hooker, Ticks, Intension, Parabola and Pushit. They've since 2012 played the same set til' 2014, but rotating a few songs. The base songs that they've played since 2009 is Stinkfist, Jambi, Vicarious, Schism, 46 2, Lateralus, Aenema and Vicarious.

Their absolute worst setlist has to be the Spokane show from 2014. Hooker, Vicarious and Schism as openers. Laame.

And HB, I agree with you regarding Vicarious. Only for me it's the bullhorn that ruins it, it's god-awful imo.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

There's a flow to their sets though that makes them so enjoyable, and if you go removing many of the standbys mentioned, I think the set would become kind of weird. Not that they couldn't do more variety, and I wish they would. But on any given night I don't know that I could ever say I wouldn't want to hear Schism, 46 + 2, Lateralus, Aenema, or Stinkfist played. I really wouldn't. Would I piss and moan? Maybe not, depends what the replacement was.

I'll dogpile onto the Vicarious thing. That song always falls completely flat for me live now.

I could watch/hear Third Eye and Pushit every single night and never get tired of it. Third Eye is the best opener I've seen them do, because they can kind of ease into it soundwise. Most first songs of the night end up kind of sucking because they're still dicking with the sound mix. Third Eye seems to allow them to better balance it before the "meat" of the song kicks in with all the noise at the start. Likewise, I loved Hooker as an opener because if there's sound issues... meh. It's one of their angrier/faster songs and that intensity kind of suits itself to the sound not yet being at its peak.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

joeypants wrote: I don't know that I could ever say I wouldn't want to hear Schism, 46 + 2, Lateralus, Aenema, or Stinkfist played. I really wouldn't. Would I piss and moan? Maybe not, depends what the replacement was.
If they removed schism, 46 and 2, and stinkfist, and replaced them with eulogy, H. , and some form of d/r/t i dont think anyone would complain
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

Stinkfist, Jimmy, Undertow, Euology, Int./Right in two, Rosetta Stoned, Intolerance, The Grudge, Parabol/Parabola, Schism and D/R/T (not exactly in this order) would be my setlist of the heavens with no lasers and less projectors
Meshuggah as opening act, no Lateralus, 46 and 2, Vicarious and Jambi, and i forgot the year should be 2001-02, in an open air stadium :cry:
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

_peterpwn wrote:Stinkfist, Jimmy, Undertow, Euology, Int./Right in two, Rosetta Stoned, Intolerance, The Grudge, Parabol/Parabola, Schism and D/R/T (not exactly in this order) would be my setlist of the heavens with no lasers and less projectors
Meshuggah as opening act, no Lateralus, 46 and 2, Vicarious and Jambi, and i forgot the year should be 2001-02, in an open air stadium :cry:
disagree that the show would be better without Lateralus. That song is a staple like the rest but its one of my favorites, its a great piece of work. I also have to disagree on the lasers, i think they add to the "tool" experience.

Lateralus
Jambi
Eulogy
H.
Parabol/a
D/R/T
Sober
The Pot

thats my wishful setlist...
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

I've seen tool 7 times since 2006, and in that time I've seen about half of their catalog at least once. Granted they have played the same 6 songs almost ever show, they throw other ones in there often. Regardless, for me no one tops their shows. They could play the same setlist, in the same order, with the same visuals and I'd still go see them. It's something my wife and I enjoy to do, and plan our vacations around their tours (if possible). We're planning on making it out to AZ for this show, and have convinced a couple of our friends to make the flight out to pop their tool cherries. For fun, this is what songs i've seen and how many times i've seen them:

Stinkfist - 7
Jambi - 7
46 & 2 - 7
The Pot - 2
Schism - 7
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned - 3
Wings for Marie /10,000 Days - 2
Lateralus - 7
Vicarious - 4
Aenema - 6
Flood - 1
Third Eye - 2
Eon Blue Apocalypse/The Patient - 2
Intolerance - 2
Hooker With a Penis - 2
Ticks & Leeches - 1
Pushit - 2
Intension - 1
Parabol/a - 1

See you down in the bay.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
joeypants wrote: I don't know that I could ever say I wouldn't want to hear Schism, 46 + 2, Lateralus, Aenema, or Stinkfist played. I really wouldn't. Would I piss and moan? Maybe not, depends what the replacement was.
If they removed schism, 46 and 2, and stinkfist, and replaced them with eulogy, H. , and some form of d/r/t i dont think anyone would complain
Maynard's voice might. I expect that's the main reason why we'll probably not see Eulogy or H again.