Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game

Post by hellboy »

I think the Fallout series deserves it's own thread. Fallout 4 looks mighty fine right now, and am greatly looking forward to it.

From what I'm reading, the Android version of Fallout Shelter should be out in the next 24 hours for those desperate for their next hit!

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Re: Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I should get around to playing Fallout 1 and 2 sometime.

I have them downloaded, and I played a little bit of 1 a few years ago and enjoyed it.
Don't mow your lawn
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Fallout 4 makes me balls tingle. Going to play it on the XBONE since PC mods will be made available there. Still slightly salty about the 30fps on consoles but like I said previously, as long as they get the game right it isn't that big of a deal. It still looks pretty damn good and the combat system upgrades look promising. An RPG with shooting mechanics more in line with a first person shooter works just fine for me.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the idea of F4 having better FPS mechanics. I'm one to use VATS most of the time, but sometimes when you want to commit crimes and kill civilians you need to be in the moment.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

I have basically "written off" November in my work diary - as all I'll be doing is playing Fallout 4.

Religiously.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the idea of F4 having better FPS mechanics. I'm one to use VATS most of the time, but sometimes when you want to commit crimes and kill civilians you need to be in the moment.
Taking the piss are we now? Well done. Extra points for subtlety.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I pride myself on it!

I'm really looking forward to scavenging and building shit in this game. There is so much stuff you can pick up in Bethesda games, most of it useless - it'd be nice to have a use for most of these things, even if they are just for melting down into scrap. I really hope that this and the survival elements of the game are up to scratch.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:I pride myself on it!

I'm really looking forward to scavenging and building shit in this game. There is so much stuff you can pick up in Bethesda games, most of it useless - it'd be nice to have a use for most of these things, even if they are just for melting down into scrap. I really hope that this and the survival elements of the game are up to scratch.
Crazy that you can build entire mini towns/outposts. The weapon mod capabilities are awesome too. Between Halo 5 and Fallout 4 I will be off the grid for a solid two months.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I downloaded Fallout Shelter the other day and just had my first Raider attack today and holy Christ was that a pain in the ass. I don't know if it's just me but it's so fucking hard to just move your dwellers around. I kept trying to grab a guy and move him to the room the raiders were in, but it either wouldn't let me move him or it would take a picture or something. I did end up fending them off, but not before they took a decent amount of my supplies.

Anyways, I'm enjoying the game for the most part. Managed to pull my Vault's happiness level up to 81 after lingering around 20 for the past couple of days.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

It was pretty tough to get a handle on Shelter. My first vault failed quite spectaularly. My next one is going much better. Key is to not over expand you base or population.

Moving characters around is a little tricky, especially since I can only play it on my phone. Now I've got a reasonable size vault and lots of weapons I've just taken to arming most of the population. Very American!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy wrote: Key is to not over expand you base or population.
Yeah, I've figured that out. At least the base part, I'm nowhere near at risk of overpopulation. I've actually been trying to grow my population as my base is too big right now and I don't quite have enough people to run everything. Last time I played I had one child and two pregnant women. It's kinda gross breeding people. I think like half the kids born in my vault have the same dad.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, I tend to reward the guy who travels out in the wasteland with sex every time he comes back.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Yeah, I did that with the last guy I sent out. I sent him out before I went out to bad. Dude's a hero managed to last 5+ hours before dying. Ended up bringing back a ton of loot as well. Enough to allow me to start arming the populace a bit.
Don't mow your lawn
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Fuck, I just found out my Graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 840M) won't handle Fallout 4. Everything else is in tip top order (245GB free space, 8GB of RAM, Intel i74765 CPU) but no go on the graphics card. And it's one of those computers where the cpu etc etc is built into the screen, so the computer is just like one big screen with a cd/dvd rom on one side. So I can't update the computer.

Does anyone here know any way around this? Or does anyone know if there's any chance Fallout will run with my current system set up??

Help!!
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Funny thing is though, the required specs for Fallout 4 are almost identical to those of Wolfenstein The Old Blood (I just checked the packaging of Old Blood just then) and my system plays Old Blood seamlessly. As well as Skyrim. So I'm just left wondering....

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I imagine the game will probably run, you may just need to compromise of a few graphical details. The bottom line is you probably won't know until you install it.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Why don't they make a frikken Mac version? That looks interesting, and I'm not a gamer at all.

Are there any Mac gamers on here? Seems like it's a shit platform for games compared to PCs.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ah the folly of buying a Mac. They only thing they're good for is emptying your wallet and looking pretty on your desk.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:Ah the folly of buying a Mac. They only thing they're good for is emptying your wallet and looking pretty on your desk.
I work with PCs. I know them very well. I can be much more productive with a Mac, the OS and integration with iOS is much more satisfying and worth the premium price to me. The only people who make the claim above haven't tried it. It's called envy.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not sure how I could be more productive with a Mac to be honest. Those who complain Windows are inefficient are usually those who haven't bothered to learn how, yet are somehow under the illusion that dumping a extra grand on a Mac makes keyboard shortcuts more attractive.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:Not sure how I could be more productive with a Mac to be honest. Those who complain Windows are inefficient are usually those who haven't bothered to learn how, yet are somehow under the illusion that dumping a extra grand on a Mac makes keyboard shortcuts more attractive.
I didn't pay anywhere near an extra 1K on a Mac vs equivalent PC. That's total hyperbole.

Anyway, glad you are happy with your PC. Nothing wrong with it.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy wrote:Not sure how I could be more productive with a Mac to be honest. Those who complain Windows are inefficient are usually those who haven't bothered to learn how, yet are somehow under the illusion that dumping a extra grand on a Mac makes keyboard shortcuts more attractive.
Most of the keyboard shortcuts I've run across seem to just do things that I would normally be able to do on PC by just clicking the right mouse button.
Don't mow your lawn
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.