Tool - 06 January 2016 - San Francisco, CA

Tool travel across the US for a short tour playing dates in mostly the sourthern half of the country.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Re: Tool - 06 January 2016 - San Francisco, CA

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

That sound check song would be great. I have never heard it. I have zero problems with no quarter, just think maybe somewhere else in the set list. Couldn't the glitter machine really be applied to any song? The production of this indoor tour looks pretty bad ass. Im excited to see it.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

setlist please?
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Just got in. Even better spot than last night. Very much hoping for that setlist song tonight. Still on my bucket list.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:setlist please?
* No Quarter
The Grudge
Parabol
Parabola
Schism (extended)
Opiate (new version)
Ænema
Descending
Jambi
Forty-Six & 2
Drum Solo
Vicarious
Stinkfist

No setlist timer before Danny's solo, thankfully, and they left the lights down.

Lighting, Vid, Sound all impeccable.

They started Vicarious without MJK. Pretty funny. Sounded great.

Descending was short but sounded more fully formed. Esp Adam's part.

3Teeth blew chunks IMO. Dreading sitting through that again. Extremely simplistic and highly sequenced. Awful sound too.

Amazing to get No Quarter. Set was the best in years. They are clearly into it and it shows.

Any other questions? I'm bored.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

You forgot to include No Quarter in your setlist.
Don't mow your lawn
tantobourne
Bronco's Fan

Post by tantobourne »

hellboy wrote:
Capt. Shipwreck wrote: Word is at the soundcheck they played
► Show Spoiler
so I'd say that's a good chance for tonight.
i was just debating on my flight home if this song would be played and figured it wouldn't. before the flight i toyed with staying an extra night and picking up a ticket. if this gets played i'm going to kick myself hard for missing it.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Not sure if this is photoshop or real...

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Nope, believe it or not Adam IS actually playing a guitar. Is it possible new Tool tunes may come out of this? Anything's possible!

Is Maynard holding a battering ram?!
Don't mow your lawn
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

I saw that pic too and was laughing. It doesn't really look photo shopped but I doubted it too. Either way its great. I hope its real!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

It's real.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:You forgot to include No Quarter in your setlist.
Whoops! Fixed.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:Word is at the soundcheck they played
SHOW SPOILER
so I'd say that's a good chance for tonight.
BTW, I mentioned this to Junior last night and he shot it down. Said it was definitely Sweat the whole time (he was surprised with it just a couple days ago) and that he would also like to hear Jimmy, but it's not likely
nousername
of Arimathea

Post by nousername »

Had a grand old time seeing Tool. As the years go by, the band gets older. So I am glad to know that they still have it and are still amazing live. Maynard seemed to move around a lot more than he has with Tool in a while. Wonder if the new hip has something to do with that.
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

Hey guys - I just got back to Asialand after seeing the show on 6th.

Few points of (in)significance. Taking aside how great everything was, here's just a few other notes;

- 3TEETH = put a saucepan on your head, smack it with a spatula interspersed with grunting 'fuck' for 17 minutes and DIY. It is what it is - I wasn't mad at it.

- Bill Graham Auditorium is old as fuck and smells/looks like a 1970s university lecture theatre. Is this the best venue in SF for an arena gig? For those unfortunate to be stuck sitting near one of the many huge concrete pillars that are in the seating section I'm pretty sure they would've had between 40-70% visibility.

- Agreed on the points about opening with NQ - they just come on stage and get going with it. Tuva and the sawblade appearing during the Lateralus tour was badass. The heartbeat with Leary in previous years before they came on was pretty good. This time it's just dim the lights and walk on. I personally enjoy the suspense with how they did it in other tours, but whatever.

- Singing into a megaphone sounds rubbish. I get that it helps with notes that he can't reach these days, but it was done for a lot more than just that. Dislike.

- Didn't sing any of the 'let go, let go, part onwards in The Grudge', or Vicarious climax. Fair enough.

- The screen(s) are huge - it starts with the big one plodding along, then progressively others unfurl on either side as the concert progresses till there's 7 by the end. Some of the things they project are rad, at other times though (Parabol/Parabola, Vicarious and Schism) they just play the full music video. No complaints, I just found myself wandering into watching the videos because they command such a visual presence vs the band.

- After the drum solo they started playing Vicarious. Maynard wasn't on stage. They played up till the first verse got going, then realised he wasn't there and completely stopped playing. Adam walked over to him with his hands raised like 'wtf' when he got up on stage, don't know if he was actually pissed about it or whatever.

- Lazers and lights are on point. The pics circulating on IG and whatnot is basically how it rolls after the usual slow build up of the first few songs.

- No confetti at end of Stinkfist.

- No group hugs at the end. It's been that way for a while now.... I guess I'm a bit nostalgic about the Laterals tour when they all get together and it just was a cool moment if you're at the gig. MJK walks straight off and the others give a few waves. I'll get over it. Eventually.

Peace out.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Adam from about 10 sec in, really kicks in about 20 sec in to about 30 or the song starting. New little riff? I have never heard it. Adam really doesn't do a lot of meandering, usually when he does a little tiny piece, its something. I remember videos of him doing that with the opening to Wings. Thoughts?
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Post by blacksabbath »

I think that it sounds like the more complex chord progression that was mentioned awhile back. Also, that is an awesome video. Looks like it was a great show.
parabol37
Maynard Believer

Post by parabol37 »

Awesome to hear Maynard nailing that Vicarious ending.
Toolio420
Maynard Believer

Post by Toolio420 »

15th Tool show for me.

Video from the show; I apologize about the quality.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]