Opiate Reissue: What we know!

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Blair posted a few further details shortly about the Opiate reissue, and I thought I'd take the time to summarise what we already know:

The Opiate reissue will feature new artwork from Adi Granov, a few other extra items pertaining to the new art design (Adam mentioned stickers ad stereoscopic art), and a certificate of authenticity.
All of the copies of Opiate will be signed by the current members of Tool.
The package will contain an Opiate CD (not vinyl) with no extra musical bonuses
There are five different variations, 1000 of each for a total of 5000.
Each variation of 1000 contains a special (randomly chosen) "SEAL OF XATANITOS" which entitles the bearer of to a certain prize. This "seal" will be included on the 5 unique certificates of authenticity contained in the prize winning package.
Buyers will be limited to 3 per variant, so presumably can buy up to 15 in total.
Update: Price is $150 each.
It will go on sale to the public on March 26th
There will be a Toolarmy presale on March 22nd. All edition will be available, however one 1000 in total will be for sale (200 of each variety). Toolarmy presale is over!
Update: Toolarmy Opiates went on sale at around 9am PST. Expect the public items to go on sale at a similar time.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Personally, I don't think this will sell out super fast, so I don't think there's a need to be checking out Toolarmy every 30 seconds to see if it's up yet. And it will probably be much easier to get a copy in public sale than during the Toolarmy one.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Thanks for consolidating this information into the one thread HB.

My guess is that they won't show up in the store until 10am Pacific time or afterwards. That's been fairly typical for Merch in the past.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
thirdeye42012
Bronco's Fan

Post by thirdeye42012 »

What is your $100 guess based on? The original's like $7.99 retail, how could they justify such a hike for some new art and autographs??

I guess we'll see tomorrow...
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

thirdeye42012 said
What is your $100 guess based on? The original's like $7.99 retail, how could they justify such a hike for some new art and autographs??

You expecting it will be $10 or something?  Let's be serious here for a minute - it's limited, it's autographed, it's arguably "hand-crafted".  Considering how much their signed posters go for at shows, it would be no surprise to me if this was around $100.

Whether it's worth that amount is up to the individual.
aktoolhead
Maynard Believer

Post by aktoolhead »

should you keep watch in the Shoping Bazzarr or in the news feed? The fastest way to tell that their on-line? Please, thanks
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
twitch1979
Maynard Believer

Post by twitch1979 »

anyone here still a Tool Army member these days ?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

twitch1979 said
anyone here still a Tool Army member these days ?

No one leaves Toolarmy
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

aktoolhead said
should you keep watch in the Shoping Bazzarr or in the news feed? The fastest way to tell that their on-line? Please, thanks

I suspect how it will go down is that a TA Exclusive post will be made with a private link for members to buy albums from.  There probably won't be anything stopping the public from using this link, though I expect it won't be made public either. That being the case I won't be publishing it, or allow it to be published here.
aktoolhead
Maynard Believer

Post by aktoolhead »

cool thanks.  been a TA member for 5 years and have never ordered from it.  but i did get my sticker and certificate. so i got my hundred bucks worth.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

As I have previously provided, here is a little insight into what's going on with TA memberships.  Pretty interesting...

252 new members since Jan 1, 2013.  Wow.

118 of those since March 1, 2013.  Interesting.

84 of THOSE since March 20, 2013.  Yeah, Right!

55 of THOSE Today.  Mother FUCKERS!

Now, let's do the math:  

The minimum TA membership is roughly $40 including shipping.  252 x $40 = $10,080.  Motherfuckers are getting paid... for not a whole lot when you lay it out there... a broke fucking site where NEARLY all of the content that is posted also appears on the free Toolband.com.  The only reason these people have signed up, at least without a doubt the last 84, and likely more of those 250 +, is to get a crack at some anticipated TA only merch.

Judging from past experience, I would wager that many of these new "members" are just opportunistic fucks trying to snatch up merch with the sole purpose of reselling to some poor schmuck on eGhey.  

Sad.

Anyway, them's the details.  Thoughts?

EDIT:  One more thought occurred after I posted this....

84 (members who joined in the last 2 days) x 15 (Max Qty per TA member) = 1,260.  Wow.  If I'm right about the opportunistic being the majority of those who joined AFTER the TA only announcement, they have the ability to snag ALL of the first TA-only 1,000... effectively fucking actual fans who want their own personal copy.  
Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Kittaan said

84 (members who joined in the last 2 days) x 15 (Max Qty per TA member) = 1,260.  Wow.  If I'm right about the opportunistic being the majority of those who joined AFTER the TA only announcement, they have the ability to snag ALL of the first TA-only 1,000... effectively fucking actual fans who want their own personal copy.  

I doubt they're the majority.  The risk is a little too high, if they're not able to snatch one than they're out $40.  That and the lack of information surrounding this sale leads me to believe that the amount is probably lower than you think.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Does anybody else think this is a little fucked?  They haven't released a price or shown any of the artwork yet, they haven't posted the interviews, and there's doing a limited release in just a few hours.  Price is one thing, but they really should've shown off the artwork, I mean that's what people are paying for.  If there were like bonus tracks it would be one thing, but when the only thing you're really offering is artwork it would be cool if you could show it off before putting it up for sale.  Now obviously there's going to be a chance later on as well, and the people picking these up today would probably have bought them regardless.  I just think that it would've been nice to get a chance to review the artwork before being asked to spend an unknown amount of money on it, especially since it's "for the fans." 

I don't know.  I'm probably making this a bigger deal then it actually is (especially since I'm not planning on picking one up), but I was just thinking that there was probably a smoother way to do this. 

Anyway good luck to anyone trying to pick one up today.  Hope it goes smoothly and you don't lose out to an asshole who's going to be reselling it later on eBay.
Don't mow your lawn
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Kittaan said
As I have previously provided, here is a little insight into what's going on with TA memberships.  Pretty interesting...

252 new members since Jan 1, 2013.  Wow.

118 of those since March 1, 2013.  Interesting.

84 of THOSE since March 20, 2013.  Yeah, Right!

55 of THOSE Today.  Mother FUCKERS!

Now, let's do the math:  

The minimum TA membership is roughly $40 including shipping.  252 x $40 = $10,080.  Motherfuckers are getting paid... for not a whole lot when you lay it out there... a broke fucking site where NEARLY all of the content that is posted also appears on the free Toolband.com.  The only reason these people have signed up, at least without a doubt the last 84, and likely more of those 250 +, is to get a crack at some anticipated TA only merch.

Judging from past experience, I would wager that many of these new "members" are just opportunistic fucks trying to snatch up merch with the sole purpose of reselling to some poor schmuck on eGhey.  

Sad.

Anyway, them's the details.  Thoughts?

EDIT:  One more thought occurred after I posted this....

Lucky for me, then, cuz I only signed up for the presales
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
failsafe
Maynard Believer

Post by failsafe »

Currently 12:45 PST, with 46 members logged into toolarmy.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineEier said
Does anybody else think this is a little fucked?  They haven't released a price or shown any of the artwork yet, they haven't posted the interviews, and there's doing a limited release in just a few hours.  Price is one thing, but they really should've shown off the artwork, I mean that's what people are paying for.  If there were like bonus tracks it would be one thing, but when the only thing you're really offering is artwork it would be cool if you could show it off before putting it up for sale.  Now obviously there's going to be a chance later on as well, and the people picking these up today would probably have bought them regardless.  I just think that it would've been nice to get a chance to review the artwork before being asked to spend an unknown amount of money on it, especially since it's "for the fans." 

I don't know.  I'm probably making this a bigger deal then it actually is (especially since I'm not planning on picking one up), but I was just thinking that there was probably a smoother way to do this. 

Anyway good luck to anyone trying to pick one up today.  Hope it goes smoothly and you don't lose out to an asshole who's going to be reselling it later on eBay.

I agree it's pretty half assed and that Tool should show there fans more respect. Sadly they never do.

For what its worth I think buying them to put them on eBay is a bigger risk than I would take...
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

thirdeye42012 said

You're a little naive. They have gone to the trouble of singing each one. HB's guess is as good as mine but nowhere near $10 that's for sure. If they're selling concerts at $100+ per head what would be the point of doing all this for $50,000 give or take? We all know their holidays don't pay for themselves. Their incentive is this Willy Wonka golden ticket - probably shit but I think this waste of production time Opiate will go for over $100. Would I be getting one?! No bonus material except for Superman comics inside it.......FUCK NO! No logic behind it whatsoever. Now if they were to sell an Anniversary/Limited AENIMA Vinyl with Bonus Segues/Songs left off....the answer would be a definite FUCK YES!

Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

It's those darn golden tickets. Everybody wants to taste the chocolate...

Hotdog
Fanboi

Post by Hotdog »

Does anyone know where Merch is situated? Im guessing LA. Just trying to convert the time from Melb
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

4 and change now, pacific

7 on the east coast

edit: I do believe merch is LA
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

161 members online right now. Good luck to everyone trying to get one.
AtTheBottom
Maynard Believer

Post by AtTheBottom »

What a clusterFuck, as usual.
levba
My pain is just an excuse

Post by levba »

So 2:00 EST is my prediction for the sale time. I'm sure you're all happy to hear my predictions. Your welcome!
xAdamx
Maynard Believer

Post by xAdamx »

So we just sit here hitting refresh for the next two hours? Great...
levba
My pain is just an excuse

Post by levba »

I'm in Canada and Tool forbids selling to Canadians. If someone can purchase one for me (any variation) I can send funds via PayPal right away. Regardless of what Tool sells them for I'll buy it...cover all shipping and throw a some extra money for your time.