Tool - 07 January 2016 - San Francisco, CA

Tool travel across the US for a short tour playing dates in mostly the sourthern half of the country.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Tool - 07 January 2016 - San Francisco, CA

Post by hellboy »

Please keep this post on topic - discussions not related to the show will be deleted by moderators. Spoilers (including setlists and pictures) may be posted in this thread after the show has taken place.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Re: Tool - 07 January 2016 - San Francisco, CA

Post by Kittaan »

I still have 2 for tonight. If you are looking, PM me with your phone number and I'll hook you up. Willing to make a deal. This is not a show you want to miss if you're in the area and on the fence!
Ki77aan :twisted:
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452228005.155492.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452228005.155492.jpg (133.41 KiB) Viewed 20771 times
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452237093.697968.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452237093.697968.jpg (222.08 KiB) Viewed 20695 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452237082.425959.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452237082.425959.jpg (229.01 KiB) Viewed 20695 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452237065.065324.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452237065.065324.jpg (176.21 KiB) Viewed 20695 times
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

How did you get the set list? Sweat is very Cool! Opiate was new extended version I imagine?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Oh shit, I didn't think they were ever going to play --------- live. Sweat's an interesting one too. Odd choice, not my favorite from Opiate.
Don't mow your lawn
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Capt. Shipwreck wrote:How did you get the set list? Sweat is very Cool! Opiate was new extended version I imagine?
From your friendly neighborhood Junior. Went to say hi and he just offered it up. Very nice of him since I didn't even ask. He and his colleagues really nailed this one.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Holy shit Sweat! Glad he didn't sing it through the bullhorn
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Okay, review time: much better sound-wise than last night! Much more balanced in terms of all 4 contributors being at the right volumes, particularly Maynard which was a very pleasant surprise. A lot of times his vocals just don't sound loud enough but tonight they had it just about right. And he is singing more consistently on these first 2 shows e.g. he did the "Vicariously I live while..." ending last night and really nailed a lot of vocal bits tonight that he normally doesn't sing at all or uses the megaphone thingy.

Anyway, the setlist was nice! SWEAT was visceral; played like how they played Intolerance back in 2010. It sounded raw and emphatic tonight. Loved it. Here are some other notes:

* Both No Quarter and The Grudge were clearly better mixed tonight to start the show. Sounded incredible.
* Parabola on its own with no Parabol intro. Kinda surprised. Prefer the whole experience but it was still good tonight.
* Schism/Opiate/Aenema is the tightest 25+ minutes straight I've seen them do in a long time. All 3 songs were tight. Amazing.
* Justin did the Opiate intro then they played Schism. Then they did a little Schism intro only to start Opiate. Joke/deliberate? Odd.
* Descending sounds like its the middle section of some new long piece they're putting together re Adam's recent interview (I know he said it's a little taste of bits and pieces but it does sound nice either way).
*Jambi and 46 & 2 were also very tightly played.
* Put up the INTERMISSION "12:00" countdown; I am NOT a fan of this. Don't mind a short break but it kinda kills the vibe. Sorry.
* Sweat!
* Maynard didn't do the climactic vocal part tonight in Vicarious so it lacked that final emphatic finish but still very tightly played.
* Stinkfist just isn't the same without their extended part. It doesn't resonate as much, particularly as a closing song, when it's on 5-6 mins long. The extended version is really fucking cool.

Overall, it's probably the tightest I've seen them play (14 shows since 2002) and the best video/projections/lighting/atmosphere/stage design/enthusiasm I've seen them play in years. Maynard was probably the happiest and most playful or interactive with the crowd I have ever seen him. Examples:

1) Asked the crowd to wave their hands in the air after the extended part of Opiate, asking us to channel our Jerry Garcia. Said "I'm not singing until I see some hands" etc. It was totally unexpected by Maynard's standards. I've never seen him ask the crowd to do anything in terms of specific participation.

2) Before Stinkfist he did "Thank you, goodnight" twice and then a "Maybe we should stay?" tease and a sarcastic/drawn out "Maybe..."
It's so cool to see him ligthen up and enjoy performing again. Hope it continues.

3) Did the typical sarcastic question thing "Is this really San Francisco?" to get the crowd more amped up. It worked.

Enjoy the shows folks!

See you in San Diego if you're going... Peace
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Great review mattw. Did they play the extended version of Sweat?
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^Thanks mate; I loved the show so I thought I should share a few odd bits & pieces etc.

Extended version of Sweat...?? It was just your typical Opiate track 1 version straight after Danny finished his Drum Solo thing after intermission. Just came through with force though; totally unexpected but all 4 of them were into it. I wish they could do that more with songs like Part of Me, Prison Sex, Cold & Ugly - nice little 3 minute change-ups maybe every 2nd show etc.

Like I said though, it's probably the most 'cohesive' performance I've seen TOOL do in the last 15 years. They are better musicians and really have mastered their craft when it comes to all the little subtleties/nuances in a live show.

So yeah, go see this tour...
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Sounds like a great show. Sweat is awesome to see. Its crazy how a little five minute tune will really change the rest of the set though. They just refuse to go over the hour 30 mark even a little. But a new tune to the set is always welcomed. I hope it sticks around. Please dump stinkfist, or at minimum put it some where else.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

any videos from last night show?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

mattw wrote:it's probably the most 'cohesive' performance I've seen TOOL do in the last 15 years. They are better musicians and really have mastered their craft when it comes to all the little subtleties/nuances in a live show.
Absolutely agree. Night one was very enjoyable, but last night they started kicking into gear.

Junior mentioned that the lighting/vid/sound team still "had a lot to work out" but from my perspective (just about dead center front of balcony) it was magnificent last night.

Enjoy San Diego!!!

xZ1mM3r wrote:any videos from last night show?
I took a few shitty iPhone vids, but I'm hoping someone with more equipment (and skill) got the job done. If not SF, one of the upcoming shows, I'm sure this tour will be well documented.

Security was fairly in-your-face about no video the second night. I got threatened with ejection as did several others in my section. Nothing like that on night one, which I thought was interesting. I prefer to focus on being there anyway, so I was fine with it.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Kittaan wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:any videos from last night show?
I took a few shitty iPhone vids, but I'm hoping someone with more equipment (and skill) got the job done. If not SF, one of the upcoming shows, I'm sure this tour will be well documented.

Security was fairly in-your-face about no video the second night. I got threatened with ejection as did several others in my section. Nothing like that on night one, which I thought was interesting. I prefer to focus on being there anyway, so I was fine with it.
im looking forward to hearing Sweat
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

xZ1mM3r wrote:im looking forward to hearing Sweat
It was epic. Here's what it looked like back in '92...

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

:D :mrgreen:
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

found one... Sweat starts around 2:00

[youtube][/youtube]
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Holy shit, that still image alone looks pretty fucking amazing.
Don't mow your lawn
nousername
of Arimathea

Post by nousername »

Great show! What can be said really that hasn't already been said? Great band, true professionals, always put on a hell of a show. Very surprised to see Sweat, fucking awesome. 2016 is off to a great start!
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

That Sweat looked dope!
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Toolio420
Maynard Believer

Post by Toolio420 »

16th show for me. Always entertaining.

Video from the show; I apologize about the quality.