Tool - 25 January 2016 - Atlanta, GA

Tool travel across the US for a short tour playing dates in mostly the sourthern half of the country.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Tool - 25 January 2016 - Atlanta, GA

Post by hellboy »

Please keep this post on topic - discussions not related to the show will be deleted by moderators. Spoilers (including setlists and pictures) may be posted in this thread after the show has taken place.
brewdog123
RIP

Re: Tool - 25 January 2016 - Atlanta, GA

Post by brewdog123 »

I'm in. Let's do this
ezeric82
Maynard Believer

Post by ezeric82 »

We'll be there! Can't wait to see/party with everybody!!
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

We will be tailgating starting at 2:30. When entering from the main entrance, tay in the left lane. Continue to drive in front of the arena. Just past it on the left is a parking lot. We will have the purple TA trent set up. Same place we set up last time.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Reznor?! Loulz. Have a great time.
Ki77aan :twisted:
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Kittaan wrote:Reznor?! Loulz. Have a great time.
Hahaha

In other news, Last chance to win tickets to the Atlanta show!
http://radio1057.iheart.com/articles/ra ... -14290047/
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Poster looks awesome, and not the AJ art this time around:

Adi Granov, for those with short memories did the Opiate Reissue are (and I suspect will have a fair bit of input on the new album art as well).
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

And the Primus poster for this show is great as well:

rgardjr
My pain is just an excuse

Post by rgardjr »

hellboy wrote:Poster looks awesome, and not the AJ art this time around:

Adi Granov, for those with short memories did the Opiate Reissue are (and I suspect will have a fair bit of input on the new album art as well).
Is this a silkscreen? Doesn't look like it to me from the picture.
Bones
of Arimathea

Post by Bones »

Wonder what the Nashville one looks like.....
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

That Tool poster looks pretty 'meh'.
I like to poop naked.
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

best one ive seen in a long time
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Still working on processing it all. Both posters kicked ass! Rhys Cooper's Primus poster had us at Han Solo's bllasterr and SW font. The tailgate was a success. The show mind blowing. Chatted with Jr for a bit and got my beloved set list. Every time I turned around I ran into a friend. Wish I could wind back the clock and do it all over again.
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

^man wish i was able to get that primus poster, was awesome especially with the bowie tribute. Glad it was a blast!
novaconda

Post by novaconda »

Definitely one of my favorite shows of all time seeing them. Got my run in right after I got out of work so I can dominate in Saturday's trail race and was able to get to the tailgate in time. Really enjoyed my time with everyone. Loved how fantastic each and every person was. Shared some great stories and enjoyed the company. Kat, Jeremy, others....thanks for another great time. In the words of Maynard- see you soon.

3Teeth actually was one of the most pleasant surprises of the night for me. I am a huge NIN fan and it was seemingly a slightly heavier version of a very industrial synthy music. I really enjoyed their sound. Their lyrics were sort of meh, but I dig their construction of their music.

Primus was pretty good. I don't dislike their music, but it's just not my thing. They put on a great show and had a fantastic stage presence, but they were a band that just never did anything for me. Claypool on that bass though was impressive. Slappin and spankin those slinky strings like a mad man outta jail. Enjoyed his playing.

Watched the stage set up for tool, the instrument techs doing their thing, etc. High anticipation. Opening with the Viginti Tres track from 10k days was very cool to me. Showed how bass-y those speaker racks can get. Very cool as it moved into No Quarter. I never thought I would ever hear this song live, so it was a treat. One of my favorite tracks on Salival.

The Grudge was the song of the night for me. If I was held at gunpoint to say only one Tool song to listen to for the last time, it would be this song. I love the beginning middle eastern vibe, drums and melodies. The buildup into what the song becomes is brilliant. I heard this song last back in the Indianapolis '02 show. Never thought I would hear it live again. Happy they added it back. Funny thought how they had Stinkfist, The Grudge, and Vicarious (all being first-track songs on their albums) in their setlist. Pretty cool. All we needed was Intolerance again and Sweat. Anyway, I was hoping for more of the video visuals that have been played in the past for this song. Nevertheless, it was an awesome sub-opener after No Quarter.

I would have liked to have heard Parabol before Parabola, but it was awesome hearing this song live again. I thought it was 2002 again with all the Lateralus being played. Would have liked the floating ball things like in 2002, but I knew they weren't just going to copy what stage show they had already done. Maynard was impressive on this song. He hasn't lost much of anything with his voice. Sounded great.

The Schism staple was next and was great again. I know and can understand people being sick of this in their set, but I still enjoy it. It has been differently displayed and performed each tour over the years. I enjoyed it. I can't remember, did they do the extended version?

Believe it or not, Opiate was another song I have never heard. I had numerous opportunities, I just never was that lucky. Fun to hear live. The extension in the middle was impressive. I know people are ready for a new album, but it is cool when bands revisit and rework old tunes from their beginnings. This is no different. Loved the visuals too.

Aenema in the middle of a set was new to me. I enjoy the laser show on this tune. Very fun to watch. They might have been the tightest of the night on this song.

The Descending jam was fun to listen to. If this is the direction they are heading, I'm fine with it. Maynard did his little humming/moaning thing. Can't wait to hear the lyrics to this one.

Jambi was spot on as always. Loved the talkbox solo however, Justin seemed to be a little too low for my liking in such a bass-driven song. He was clearly under the mix. I could be wrong. Good tune, but I wouldn't have minded something different this time round for this tour instead. I just don't feel like Jambi fit. I would have taken something like Right in Two or ever something like Swamp Song. I know their shows are pretty set in stone because of their light/stage show, but I'm allowed to wish on here.

46&2 was great. I have the same thoughts about this as I do Schism. Presented differently with the stage show and it was fantastic.

The Danny drum solo was unreal. I don't think people realize what a treat it is to see him perform the way he does. He might very well be the best drummer on the planet. The holographic star thing during his solo was neat to see too. Is that new to the tour? Believe so.

I knew it was either Vicarious or Sweat. I know I will get bashed on here from the lifers, but I enjoy Vicarious more than Sweat, so I was fine with Vicarious. They seemed pretty tight with this tune too. Enjoyed watching the music video on the screens while being played live. So much fun.

Ions into Stinkfist was a fun way to end the show. I like how Danny uses the Mandala pad intro instead of only using it in the middle of the song. What can I say? I've never been to a Tool concert where they haven't played this song. It was great though.

Overall the setlist was phenomenal. One of the best I've seen since the 2010 set in New Orleans. Good mix of the greatest hits (schism stinkfist, jambi) along with songs you don't get often on their tours (grudge, parabola, no quarter). I am probably just getting old or need ear plugs, but my only beef with the sound was that it was too loud. Tool is a band that doesn't HAVE to be over-the-top on their sound mix's amplitude. It was just a bit too loud. Once again, it could have been the venue, my seat, my aging ears, but it seemed a bit too loud. Louder than the first two bands even. I got an unsigned event poster for Atlanta. The skulls are awesome. I hope this artist is included in with the new album. Not that I dislike Alex G., but it is time for something different. It will be fun when they play their new material after they release their new album. Until then, I'll hope for new music and other tours from my other favorites. If anyone is willing to trade something tool-related for a setlist from this show, let me know. I'd love to have one. This show was definitely one of my favorites. Thanks, Tool.
The last mile is the one you really need to make.
tantobourne
Bronco's Fan

Post by tantobourne »

novaconda wrote:Definitely one of my favorite shows of all time seeing them.
thanks for the write up. i've been living vicariously through everyone's show reviews since san fran. sunday isn't that far away....
novaconda

Post by novaconda »

tantobourne wrote:
novaconda wrote:Definitely one of my favorite shows of all time seeing them.
thanks for the write up. i've been living vicariously through everyone's show reviews since san fran. sunday isn't that far away....
Thanks. It really was exceptional. I have no real complaints other than the hot levels on the sound. Once again, I might be losing my hearing at 31 too :)
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Atlanta poster under blacklight discovered by a friend. Image
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Is there a difference other than it being blue? I feel like I must be missing something really obvious...
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

No, but I think it looks better. More Gigerish.
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

Wonder if it'll do the same for the NC poster? Happen to know?
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Nice write-up novaconda.

Your review seemed to pretty much echo my own thoughts from the first San Diego show. Eerily similar. Good stuff.
I like to poop naked.
novaconda

Post by novaconda »

markuspoop wrote:Nice write-up novaconda.

Your review seemed to pretty much echo my own thoughts from the first San Diego show. Eerily similar. Good stuff.
Thanks for the compliment. Was definitely a great show. I would go 9/10 for the visuals and 7/10 sonically.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.