Star Wars Hype Train (SPOILERS - Beware!!!)

Movies, TV and other video based media
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Star Wars Hype Train

Post by hellboy »

http://giphy.com/gifs/Hk04hIz9UENuo/html5
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Question, as I haven't paid much attention to what this movie is about:

Is this the story that is mentioned near the end of New Hope? About a bunch of people dying to get the information on the Death Star?
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

That's what they want you to think, but then they kill off Chewbacca and turn Darth Vader into a talking minivan,[\spoil] and now I don't know what to believe!
Don't mow your lawn
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

I've heard that it starts off ok, but the musical number about 45 minutes in kills the momentum somewhat..
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
ZYV
My pain is just an excuse

Post by ZYV »

I doubt it will blow. Should be seeing it in the next couple of days. I was initially disappointed about this movie, but I'm now probably over hyped. We will see how it goes. I just hope there's more than one scene with Vader.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig wrote:Question, as I haven't paid much attention to what this movie is about:

Is this the story that is mentioned near the end of New Hope? About a bunch of people dying to get the information on the Death Star?
`
Sort of, the bunch of people (Bothans) dieing is a reference to the second Death Star in ROTJ.

Feedback I have from a few friends that have seen it is that it's pretty good, though falls short of being great.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Started off pretty slowly and was kinda what i expected of it for the first half, but then the last 45 minutes or so I couldn't wipe the shit eating grin off my face. Went in with low expectations and walked out well impressed. Probably the best way to try approach it as the first half is a bit different and if ya go in expecting something amazing from the outset you'll probably feel too underwhelmed to enjoy it once it kicks in.
Listen to All Them Witches
ZYV

Post by ZYV »

Saw it. It's was really well done. I see my self watching it at home quite a few times when it's out on blue ray.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

I saw the movie yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. It felt a lot like Empire Strikes Back at times, gritty, and a little dark. I can't wait to see it again...
Busty McCracken wrote:but then the last 45 minutes or so I couldn't wipe the shit eating grin off my face.
This was me as well...
Be good to each other.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Much better than the way too "Disney" Force Awakens. I may even go see it again. Still, the first 15 minutes or so were a bit wonky. Some of it worked, some of it didn't. I liked the cgi recreation of old characters. It made them creepier.

End battle was great. As was Ben Mendelsohn.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Yeah the movie is all over the shop at the start and could use further editing, but steadies itself and comes home strong. I Had no qualms with the cgi characters either . The movie is set like a week before a new hope, so why wouldn't those characters be a part of it.
ZYV

Post by ZYV »

My only complaint is that they cut scenes that were shown in trailers. Supposedly, there is a lot of cut footage that we would all like to see and I hope that they release all that as deleted scenes or an extended cut.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

So I saw it tonight. It was ok, I prefer the Force Awakens despite it being more "Disney". Thoughts:
  • The beginning was all over the place, but for the most part I liked it. I actually felt the middle section of the movie was the most tedious.
  • I enjoyed the story, but the script was crap to be honest. In parts it felt like a made for TV movie. Ben Mendelsohn's role was clearly the stand out, while they managed to make the robot largely bland and unlikeable (like many other characters really). The humour in the movie was generally more miss than hit, which surprised me given that I thought TFA was actually pretty funny at times.
  • The battle at the end more or less saves the movie
  • The CGI for some of the characters returning from A New Hope while good was still a bit uncanny valley.
  • There was something weird about Darth Vader's neck - I felt like he'd added a few pounds or something? I kinda wish they'd left him out of it, despite his badassery at the end.
Overall I'd probably go with around a 7/10. I'd give TFA an 8/10 for reference sake. I don't think I'd rate Rogue One any higher than the original trilogy, though it's probably better than EP1 and EP2.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Yeah, I liked the "dry" humour attributed to the robot - but his offhand attempts at comedic one liners raised barely a chuckle at the best of times.

It must also be said, I absolutely hated every minute that Forrest Whittaker's character was on screen. With a passion.

The best part of the entire movie were those black stormtrooper thingies - whom I have given the dubious honour of being the creepiest characters ever to grace a Star Wars film.

And cgi Tarkin was choice.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:Yeah, I liked the "dry" humour attributed to the robot - but his offhand attempts at comedic one liners raised barely a chuckle at the best of times.
The robot seems like a missed opportunity to me - could have been one of the great SW characters but I feel like they missed the mark. I wished it was more misanthropic, or the humour a bit more cutting.
Calfium Jay wrote:It must also be said, I absolutely hated every minute that Forrest Whittaker's character was on screen. With a passion.
Agree - the character looked quite badass, but came across as mostly cringeworthy.
Calfium Jay wrote:The best part of the entire movie were those black stormtrooper thingies - whom I have given the dubious honour of being the creepiest characters ever to grace a Star Wars film.
Yes, they were excellent and sounded great as well.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I thought whitakers character looked lame from the very first preview. Was glad his input was minimal
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
ZYV

Post by ZYV »

Oh man. That's no good.
ZYV

Post by ZYV »

She's dead. This sucks.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Don't ordinarily feel a great deal of emotion when a famous identity passes but this one indeed sucks.. probably my first ever crush.

Also saw Rogue one for a second viewing and enjoyed it even more 2nd time around. The first 30 minutes still is a bit sloppy but put it above force awakens now and I really enjoyed ep 7 too.
ZYV

Star Wars Hype Train

Post by ZYV »

She finished shooting for episode 8, so at least we will get to see her for one more Star Wars. I wonder what they will do about 9? She was definitely going to be a part of that, but not now. And I agree about feeling an unusual amount of emotion over this particular celebrity. I did feel really sad about Bowie too.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

RIP
- You like noisy music?
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Debbie Reynolds dies one day after daughter Carrie Fisher
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/d ... her-mother
- You like noisy music?
ZYV

Post by ZYV »

Damn.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »