Tool Spring 2017 Tour (includes spoilers!)

Discuss Tool live shows both past and future
lachrymologist
RIP

Re: Tool Spring 2017 Tour (includes spoilers!)

Post by lachrymologist »

^ good advice

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Opi8
Maynard Believer

Post by Opi8 »

Kittaan wrote:
Opi8 wrote:Woo! 18 more days until Tool in Vancouver!

Almost 20 years of tool concerts under my belt, and this one has me the most excited!

Back in 2010, I took my wife to see them. Not only was it her first tool concert, but her first concert period! It absolutely blew her mind. I promised that I'd take her the next time they came around. Unfortunately, she was in a car wreck not to long ago. She's OK, but there's no way her head could take all the bright flashy lights and noise right now. So instead, I'll be taking my 11 year old step daughter! Just like her mom, she's never been to a concert, let alone one quite like this.

She's obsessing over my record collection, watching youtube videos, and making me buy her shirts so that she can be prepared. Last night I found her passed out wearing her opiate shirt, watching a bootleg of the 2010 show her mom and I attended. It was the proudest parent moment I have ever experienced. I almost cried.

I can't wait to see the look on her face as her brain melts.

Greatest hits set list or not, this is going to be insanely special for both her and I!
That's cool. Hope she doesn't get a contact high, I worry about taking my kid for that reason. Also, remember to take some ear protection.

Enjoy the show.
Lol, oh we're well prepared. I've been drilling my concert rules into her head for weeks, and raided the PPE closet at work for some good ear protection.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I remain convinced "contact high" is not an actual thing, especially in a large arena.
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

I meant the ear bud advice for pre teens. Contact buzz isn't an actual thing in an arena unless your in a suite with Wu-Tang.

Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

I don't smoke weed anymore- haven't in years- and I do tend to get some contact high at concerts. Not enough to actually get stoned mind you, but definitely feel a little something in a closed venue.

Definitely bring ear plugs, every show can be a little hot or miss on that depending on where you're seats are. Tool in Little Rock last October was one of the loudest concerts I've ever been to (sat pretty much right in the middle of the floor), wish I had some that night. Ears weren't the same for a couple days.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I must have got lucky in some ways - of all the times I've seen Tool I've never once felt they were overly loud. Been to many more much louder shows, and in fact haven't worn earplugs to a Tool show before, because I haven't felt it's been loud enough to justify it.

That said - kids certainly need ear plugs at Tool shows.
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

I always bring some ear plugs for the just in case to any concert. Just saw Gojira at redrocks and glad I brought them, the other bands that night I didn't need them but damn gojira was loud! I think I've only needed earplugs for one out of the 13 tool shows I've been to, that being said sometimes I'll throw them in just to notice what listening difference it can make in regards to each musician/ sounds/ vocals ect. What usually gets me is having to plug my ears temporarily for when the crowd cheering after songs/ performance, people be loud! Lol, anyways glad you're connecting tool with your kid, sounds like you'll have agreat time!
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Little Rock was definitely the only Tool show I wanted to have ear plugs at, for the record. Only other concerts I've really felt the need for ear plugs was simply a case of being too close to speakers.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

According to people on Twitter, tonight's show is not loud at all. Lots of people complaining about the sound.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Is that the festival show? No real surprises if that has shit sound.
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

Yes it is, just a bit ironic I suppose.
Festivals can be hit and miss with sound. All depends on where you are at. I'm sure that this mistake was on the festival and they got it sorted.

basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Kittaan wrote:
Opi8 wrote:Woo! 18 more days until Tool in Vancouver!

Almost 20 years of tool concerts under my belt, and this one has me the most excited!

Back in 2010, I took my wife to see them. Not only was it her first tool concert, but her first concert period! It absolutely blew her mind. I promised that I'd take her the next time they came around. Unfortunately, she was in a car wreck not to long ago. She's OK, but there's no way her head could take all the bright flashy lights and noise right now. So instead, I'll be taking my 11 year old step daughter! Just like her mom, she's never been to a concert, let alone one quite like this.

She's obsessing over my record collection, watching youtube videos, and making me buy her shirts so that she can be prepared. Last night I found her passed out wearing her opiate shirt, watching a bootleg of the 2010 show her mom and I attended. It was the proudest parent moment I have ever experienced. I almost cried.

I can't wait to see the look on her face as her brain melts.

Greatest hits set list or not, this is going to be insanely special for both her and I!
That's cool. Hope she doesn't get a contact high, I worry about taking my kid for that reason. Also, remember to take some ear protection.

Enjoy the show.
No contact high is going to happen. Arenas are too big for that to happen and there are too many "security" people who think they are cops saving the world from the evil menace of the reefer! Gone are the the days of hotboxing a whole arena.

Congrats Opi8! A proud day bringing two people into the Tool experience. Your family sounds awesome. Hope your wife recovers quickly and is ready for the next go round.
Professor of Lesbian Science
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

lachrymologist wrote:Yes it is, just a bit ironic I suppose.
Festivals can be hit and miss with sound. All depends on where you are at. I'm sure that this mistake was on the festival and they got it sorted.
It'd be interesting to hear where those who complained were standing. Typically if you're at a festival and not somewhere between the FOH and stage, sound is going to be pretty hit and miss.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Swans is the only act where I capital N NEEDED plugs. That was painfully, excruciatingly loud. Which is the idea, and it was beautiful. But... hurt.
Insert
Maynard Believer

Post by Insert »

Done with this band, fuck them.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Go see Sunn O))) in concert. Then let me hear you complain about yr favorite bands being "too loud".

Pffffft.

:roll:
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

No one is complaining about anyone being "too loud"

Loudness is the only thing going for a Sunn O))) gig - there needs to be something to distract you from the same detuned note being played a dozen times over 2 hours.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Calfium Jay wrote:Go see Sunn O))) in concert. Then let me hear you complain about yr favorite bands being "too loud".

Pffffft.

The brilliance and majesty that is Sunn O))) is lost on this lot. Don't even bother. This bunch would rather hear the same songs played over and over again ad nauseam. They are incapable of processing true innovation. Again we are talking about a bunch of people jerking off over a 20 year old song being played.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Unlike Sunn O))) fans, who seem content with seeing the exact same song played again and again....
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

hellboy wrote:Is it just me, or is there some kind of subtle vocal effect on Maynard's "clean" vocals during that version of Eulogy? Some kind of auto-tune type thing?

Either way, the song and Maynard sound great. Very happy this is back in the setlist rotation.
I believe he uses a pretty heavy chours effect. He used the same effect back in 2001 when playing Eulogy
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote:No one is complaining about anyone being "too loud"

Loudness is the only thing going for a Sunn O))) gig - there needs to be something to distract you from the same detuned note being played a dozen times over 2 hours.

If you say so. Although, I daresay, the subtle nuances created and experimented with in regards to tone/micro tone, ambient soundscapes, minimalist drone and atmosphere displayed by an arthouse collective such as Sunn O))) would be completely lost on a flippant bunch of 90's has beens who need a fist pumping sing a long chorus and rockin guitar solo to capture their short attention spans.

As the old adage goes....sometimes less is more.

Anyway, I won't turn this into a debate on the presumptive merits (or lack thereof) to be found in drone metal and associated genres - let's focus for a minute on our friends in Tool and see what they've been up to lately:

Oooh look!! A karaoke machine!!!!!! Kewl!!!!

I bet I know what they're doing right now. Hey!! Hey!!! Yeah...you know what I mean.

:|
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

The sound last night was pretty decent - it was loud and there was a little bit of distortion but I guess this is standard for a festival setting. Maynard sounded way better than on the 2006/2007 tour (when he was barely audible) and as good as (if not slightly better) than the 2010 tour. It may have been the festival sound, but not sure if he attempted a little bit of a grudge scream? Hopefully some YouTube footage out there to confirm. It all got a bit distorted in the louder sections. No Vicarious ending, I strongly believe that if he can't sing the best bit of the song I would rather have it left out completely. I think they also fucked up the start to Vicarious because it just sounded a bit off. Highlights of the show would have to be Opiate (with the 'new' passage) and a solid rendition of Third Eye. The Grudge and Parabola were very good too and I'm so glad to have seen them live now, but I think spacing them up a bit with Parabol in between would be even better instead of playing them back to back.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:
Calfium Jay wrote:Go see Sunn O))) in concert. Then let me hear you complain about yr favorite bands being "too loud".

Pffffft.

The brilliance and majesty that is Sunn O))) is lost on this lot. Don't even bother. This bunch would rather hear the same songs played over and over again ad nauseam. They are incapable of processing true innovation. Again we are talking about a bunch of people jerking off over a 20 year old song being played.
You come across as a scorned woman who keeps going back to the asshole who mistreats her and then cries why me when the same thing keeps happening over and over and over again.

I mean you called Tool out early on their shit and stuck to your guns..... years later some of us where saying ya know what.. he might have gone on with it a bit much but damn it he was right. You then did an absolute about turn on everything you had been whinging about and carrying on about for oh so many years.. and we here all accepted it as we clearly are a patient and understanding bunch as our love for tool will testify.

To then go back again and start carrying on the way you are right now and lumping terms around like "this lot", you have lost all credibility in my mind. Seriously dude you are coming across as kinda unstable and just a bit sad. I mean if you're so jaded (and please dont try convince me your not) then why not just stay out of these threads?? I dont get it man.
Listen to All Them Witches
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Busty McCracken wrote:
THE1TRUEMOG wrote:
Calfium Jay wrote:
You come across as a scorned woman who keeps going back to the asshole who mistreats her and then cries why me when the same thing keeps happening over and over and over again.

I mean you called Tool out early on their shit and stuck to your guns..... years later some of us where saying ya know what.. he might have gone on with it a bit much but damn it he was right. You then did an absolute about turn on everything you had been whinging about and carrying on about for oh so many years.. and we here all accepted it as we clearly are a patient and understanding bunch as our love for tool will testify.

To then go back again and start carrying on the way you are right now and lumping terms around like "this lot", you have lost all credibility in my mind. Seriously dude you are coming across as kinda unstable and just a bit sad. I mean if you're so jaded (and please dont try convince me your not) then why not just stay out of these threads?? I dont get it man.
Oh Busty don't get your panties in a bunch just taking the piss mate :lol: Do you think I actually give a shit whether or not you or anyone else on this forum enjoys experimental drone? I mean fuck I love Sunn O))) but they have never written a record anywhere near as good as Aenima or Lateralus. Cal left a hanging curve ball and I just couldn't help myself. Have a little fun man loosen up that sphincter

Besides we all know Tool are old, washed up and basically done. Suppose I can't blame em for padding the retirement fund. ;)