Best Tool live clips

The Main Event
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Re: Best Tool live clips

Post by Ettan »

That is a great one! The guy who filmed it also filmed another festival from the same year, Maynard in blue paint IIRC. He uploaded a video of him filming his TV while the VHS tape was rolling and Tool playing Sober. Daylight afternoon, Rock Im Ring Germany 2002.

Two things I wish:

1. The source above to be released in its full potential, i.e a first gen of the VHS tape or digital transfer.
2. The second festival that was filmed up close from the floor to be released in public circulation, the footage is no where to be found anymore.

I can only imagine being able to see the guys faces in broad daylight, Maynard especially with his movement during that era.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Ettan wrote:That is a great one! The guy who filmed it also filmed another festival from the same year, Maynard in blue paint IIRC. He uploaded a video of him filming his TV while the VHS tape was rolling and Tool playing Sober. Daylight afternoon, Rock Im Ring Germany 2002.

Two things I wish:

1. The source above to be released in its full potential, i.e a first gen of the VHS tape or digital transfer.
2. The second festival that was filmed up close from the floor to be released in public circulation, the footage is no where to be found anymore.

I can only imagine being able to see the guys faces in broad daylight, Maynard especially with his movement during that era.
I could have swore i used to watch a higher quality version of the 2002 Rock Am Ring performance. But maybe it was the same one posted here and i just have a terrible memory.

I would also really like to know more about the other 2002 festival you speak of ettan....
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

What exactly is MJK doing during Ticks & Leeches? Is he on his knees singing into something to get that voice effect? or is he on his knees singing because well..... he keeps singing "suck me dry" ...
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Around then I reckon he was playing with some vocal effects/techniques he'd got from Mike Patton when they toured with Tomahawk
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Back in 2001 - 2002 when they played Ticks he always sang it like that, not sure why because it looks like it's the same equipment he used during Eulogy and on that one he walked around like normal. Most likely it's what HB's on about, some sort of effect triggered while sitting.

He's sitting like that on these two as well, though you don't see him at all on these videos:

junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

If I recall correctly, he used the megaphone into the pickup of his Steinberger guitar to achieve that effect.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

4 Degrees FUCK
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Dude where you at sydney 02 show when they played 4 degrees? Man that song is still ingrained my head 17 years later. Such an amazing live song
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

No I saw them in Canberra that tour, smaller show but no 4 degrees :(

But I got Eulogy the year before so I can't complain.
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Yeh fuck ya that's the song that got me into em. Seen the bastards 10 times and yet to see eulogy played
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

also, Avatar!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Man, the days when Tool (or any band) would tour places like Canberra and Wollongong. Now we're just happy when bands play more than just Sydney and Melbourne.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Dem was the days. Newcastle used to get a look in to. What happened? Fuel and venue hire costs im guessing ?? I mean if album sales are declining and touring is the new bread and butter why wouldn't this still be a thing?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I dunno what it is. Maybe they just don't like longer tours. If I were in a band, personally I'd relish playing some smaller towns and venues, provided we weren't losing a packet of money.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Elton John & Morrisey recently played Wollongong!
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Yeah Elton played cairns of all places, was more meaning the heavier touring bands. I remember 98 metallica played Newcastle as well. Maybe it's just the long tour thing like ya say given all the bands I'm loving are getting older. I guess the days of the 90's are over where you had massive commercial heavy bands like gunners, metallica that could justify hitting the smaller cities. Maybe if a younger newer band like Ghost or something was commercially successful, we'd still see it.