Height: 186cm

Re: Video game news

Post by not tyson »

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

So she didn't play games in 2010 and now she does? Or should she be disregarded because she isn't OG?

Either way, don't expect EA, Ubisoft and the like to make good decisions about games - they're driven more by the almighty dollar and political correctness rather than gameplay.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Saw that this morning. Makes the game look much much better. Pity the graphics won't make up for the mediocre gameplay.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy wrote:So she didn't play games in 2010 and now she does? Or should she be disregarded because she isn't OG?
She should be disregarded for one simple fact.

If she held action movies to the same standards she does video games she'd have an anyurysm.

Her rants are all for attention and MONEY, her kickstarter was way over pledged, no complaints here, you want to fuck idiots out of money be my guest.

But the fact is why aren't there female games for female gamers (when most of them are playing candy crush and other such simple games) is because there isn't a fucking market.

You can hitch your ride to feminism all you want for gaming but COD is going to outsell you all day every day.

At the end of the day, SJW want games to cater to their world view, whereas normal people want games that help them escape their world, BOOM!

Drops mic and walks away
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Called "E3".

Oh, my.

Am I that naive, or has the gaming industry GOT WORSE THAN the music industry?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:
hellboy wrote:So she didn't play games in 2010 and now she does? Or should she be disregarded because she isn't OG?
She should be disregarded for one simple fact.

If she held action movies to the same standards she does video games she'd have an anyurysm.

Her rants are all for attention and MONEY, her kickstarter was way over pledged, no complaints here, you want to fuck idiots out of money be my guest.

But the fact is why aren't there female games for female gamers (when most of them are playing candy crush and other such simple games) is because there isn't a fucking market.

You can hitch your ride to feminism all you want for gaming but COD is going to outsell you all day every day.

At the end of the day, SJW want games to cater to their world view, whereas normal people want games that help them escape their world, BOOM!

Drops mic and walks away
mfw

Females make up a larger market of "gamers" (remember those quotation marks for later) than males.

Check this out:

Women will play your basic social games/mobile games for ten minute spurts between (personal experience) classes, shifts, whatever.

Dudes will play a game for six hours straight ONCE a week. Perhaps twice, or whatever - but you get the point.

Added up, women play more "games" then men.

What does this prove?

That women love phones, and men own consoles/PCs.

Soooooooooo . . .

We should stop trying to placate the 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000002% of women who actually own a console and play real games, and focus on making males happy. It's been working since 1981, so why buck the trend.

Also, money, in case you're an idiot.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:
Actually I think they're both tracking in a similar way - for the better.

Sure, there a still big publisher/label games/acts, but the true independents are finding niches that they never could 10 years ago.

As little as two years ago, there was virtually no market for mid tier games - you either had big AAA titles, or you had one or two man indie shops. These days thanks to Kickstarter and such, independent companies made up of a dozen or so developers (as opposed to 50+ on big games) can make the games they want, with little constraint we get from publishers.

Wasteland 2, Elite Dangerous, Project Eternity and even Star Citizen are great examples of this - games that have a scope outside that of which the big publishers are willing to fund.

It's an exciting time to be a gamer, especially a PC one.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Binding of Isaac was one of the great indie games of the last few years - fiendishly addictive filled with an interesting them and fun randomness.

The Reboot, sounds really good so far with a great Co-op mode (that I will probably never play):

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/89016610 ... -this-baby

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:
Actually I think they're both tracking in a similar way - for the better.

Sure, there a still big publisher/label games/acts, but the true independents are finding niches that they never could 10 years ago.

As little as two years ago, there was virtually no market for mid tier games - you either had big AAA titles, or you had one or two man indie shops. These days thanks to Kickstarter and such, independent companies made up of a dozen or so developers (as opposed to 50+ on big games) can make the games they want, with little constraint we get from publishers.

Wasteland 2, Elite Dangerous, Project Eternity and even Star Citizen are great examples of this - games that have a scope outside that of which the big publishers are willing to fund.

It's an exciting time to be a gamer, especially a PC one.
Thanks for the input.

Honestly? My opinion of the whole "indie" thing is this bizarre haunting of 16bit days. It's an appealing to nostalgia - and I fucking HATE that.

If I wanted to play old games, I'd bust out an emulator - which I have (PSOne, for my phone and tablet). But, funnily, I rarely use it - you know why?

Because most wicked-sick games are already optimised for Android 3.X. And they're awesome.

Not to mention that even my shitty laptop can play most games directly prior to mid 2012 on high-to-ultra.

Dude, seriously, what is with the whole indie thing? I don't get it at all.

You have (yes, you) an OUYA and a wicked PC - why the fuck settle for anything less than stellar graphics and awesome gameplay at 60fps?

I don't get it.

And yes, I've done "TO THE MOON", et al. And they left me feeling reasonably hollow.

It's 2014: Treat gamers as such.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

The director of Bulletstorm almost made a Witcher 18 years ago.

I guess he's also the one who came up with name Witcher as the original Polish title "Wiedzmin" doesn't have an English translation.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:The director of Bulletstorm almost made a Witcher 18 years ago.

I guess he's also the one who came up with name Witcher as the original Polish title "Wiedzmin" doesn't have an English translation.
I'm goin' to lay it all out and finally admit that I don't get "THE WITCHER". Or anything to do with it.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Now I'm thinking about The Witcher. God, I can't wait until the new one comes out. I got to get a PS4 by then. Actually I should just get a good gaming PC. I really should. Batman Arkham Knight comes out next year too. If those games are anywhere near as good as I think they'll be next year will be a very good year for gaming.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

And if The Phantom Pain releases next year as well I'll probably just fucking die.

I haven't been this excited about video games in a long time.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I'm hoping to buy a PS4 for "DESTINY" and obviously "ME2" - but, for clear reasons, I won't get that chance.

Where are we with consoles, anyway, in FE? I'm feeling PS4, though I could be wrong.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I'm for the PS4. I liked my 360 well enough, but I really only bought it because my friends had 360s and I'm not even friends with those people anymore. So I'm going back to Sony.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:I'm for the PS4. I liked my 360 well enough, but I really only bought it because my friends had 360s and I'm not even friends with those people anymore. So I'm going back to Sony.
Right on.

I've had nothing but Micro since about 2005. But before then, noting but sony.

Booyah.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote: You have (yes, you) an OUYA and a wicked PC - why the fuck settle for anything less than stellar graphics and awesome gameplay at 60fps?
Because stellar graphics aren't a prerequisite for good gaming, nor are they always achievable in an independent setting.

If you're playing games only because they have great graphics, then you are doing yourself a great disservice.

And as far as my Ouya goes, have a guess at what I use it for the most?

As for consoles, I haven't tried any next gen ones. PS4 looks like the winner on paper, but I think the Xbone and WiiU both have their strong points, depending on your gaming style.
That said, I think consoles are pretty stagnant at the moment - aside from fancier graphics the new generation doesn't offer much innovation it would appear. Someone needs to up the ante.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy wrote: And as far as my Ouya goes, have a guess at what I use it for the most?
Paperweight
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:
hellboy wrote: And as far as my Ouya goes, have a guess at what I use it for the most?
Paperweight
That's true to a certain extent, but try the second most used purpose.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote: You have (yes, you) an OUYA and a wicked PC - why the fuck settle for anything less than stellar graphics and awesome gameplay at 60fps?
Because stellar graphics aren't a prerequisite for good gaming, nor are they always achievable in an independent setting.

If you're playing games only because they have great graphics, then you are doing yourself a great disservice.

As for consoles, I haven't tried any next gen ones. PS4 looks like the winner on paper, but I think the Xbone and WiiU both have their strong points, depending on your gaming style.
That said, I think consoles are pretty stagnant at the moment - aside from fancier graphics the new generation doesn't offer much innovation it would appear. Someone needs to up the ante.
Interesting. (And, media player)

I just hate the fact that we are constantly being held back. "WD" and even, apparently "SKYRIM" were both expansions on an idea.

I dig that "simple" games can strike a chord (see: "TO THE MOON").

But come on, man. 2014. I expect pseudo-perfect graphics and a story, to boot.

I'm not joking.

(And I still get it from "'RIM".)
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I'm completely confused as what to get next.

Steam box could change the game.

How 'optimised' are pc games for game controllers?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote: Interesting. (And, media player)
That answer is also correct, but I was hinting (poorly) at emulation. For the most part the only gaming I do on the Ouya is using Nintendo and MAME emulators.
The Boss wrote: But come on, man. 2014. I expect pseudo-perfect graphics and a story, to boot.

I'm not joking.
That's a reasonably expectation, but and a reality in some games. Why does every game need to be this way? Why do all games need to be polished Kanye Wests when sometimes we want a crusty Yob?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:

Perhaps we want different things.

I want a "world". Such as SKYRIM and even MIRROR'S EDGE.

I can accept that that's not what you dig. Cool.

Good conversation, though. Believe it or not, you have turned me onto indie games I would've simply brushed aside.