Artist of the Day

Music in all its forms and styles
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Artist of the Day

Post by hellboy »

Here's a new music discussion thread with a semi structured format. Here's how it'll go.

Each day (that I remember) I will select an artist to be the artist of the day. Forum members respond by posting their favourite song by said artist (or some song they feel is of note). They may also choose to say a few words as to what they think of the artist, and also make a suggestion for the following days artist. I will then look at the suggested artists and pick one for the following day.

The shuffle on my music player has decreed that Metallica will be the first cab off the rank.
hellboy
Site Admin

Re: Artist of the Day

Post by hellboy »

Here's my favorite Metallica song, Battery!

I don't mind Metallica, they have some good stuff, but also some pretty shitty stuff as well. I'd say that And Justice For All is their best album. Lulu was pretty good as well, and is unfairly maligned.

I'm not going to make a suggestion for tomorrows artist - I'll leave that you you guys!
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

[youtube][/youtube]

Their finest hour - by about 10 million light years.

I suggest, for this thread, we stick to the "big" acts (like Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Black Sabbath) - makes it much easier for discussion. Nobody gives a shit that you like fricken Skunk Anansie or Marcy Playground or The Eels or some shit. Keep it to yrself.

That goes for me too - no Nurse With Wound or Consumer Electronics etc. I know exactly what will happen if I post that shit.

<crickets>

I need some coffee.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote: I suggest, for this thread, we stick to the "big" acts (like Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Black Sabbath) - makes it much easier for discussion. Nobody gives a shit that you like fricken Skunk Anansie or Marcy Playground or The Eels or some shit. Keep it to yrself.
I agree regarding big acts, we don't need anything to obscure (though I think the three acts you mentioned, while shit are still probably big enough to warrant a discussion).
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Calfium Jay wrote:Their finest hour - by about 10 million light years.
Hahaha... yeah, it figures it's a remake all of Garage Days was! Budgie recorded it in the early 1970's. They also originally recorded another great Metallica remake... Breadfan.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

Metallica came into my awareness by chance or by design... I'm not sure quite yet. Mid 80's walking home from school I spot a cassette in the gutter on the side of the road. It's pretty banged up but I was stoked I found a free tape regardless of what it ended up sounding like, and promptly stuck it into the tape deck as soon as I got home. The cassette was Ride the Lightning and it stayed in that tape deck for a long time after that. I was blown away by it and I quickly became a fan. Don't really listen to them anymore... well since And Justice for All came out. Still a great early influential band for me.
Professor of Lesbian Science
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

metal up your ass!

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Well, this thread is going about as well as I expected. Any other thoughts on Metallica?
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote:Any other thoughts on Metallica?

Um...they're not as good as they used to be?

<shrugs shoulders>

Also Lars Ulrich. Yep. In a perfect world this would never happen.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Shoot I meant to post something here but it slipped my mind.

Everything up to ...And Justice For All is solid, though I'm not too crazy about Kill 'Em All. Black Album is ok but everything after that... No thanks.

Although I do enjoy most of their pre Black album catalog their only album I consider great is ...And Justice For All. Doesn't get old.

I don't really know what I'd consider my favorite track of theirs.
Hey! Denty!
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

hellboy wrote: Any other thoughts on Metallica?
Cliff Burton and Dave Mustaine were the real driving influential forces in Metallica. Once they were gone it was a an inevitable demise.
Professor of Lesbian Science
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

^ I must agree with BJ.

Mandatory Metallica!!
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

Master of Puppets is my favourite Metallica song. The intro riff was one of the first I learnt to play on guitar... I haven't listened to much after the Black album. Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets albums are on my car MP3 player so pop up from time to time....
Be good to each other.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I don't really like Mustaine era Metallica. Burton was great, but they were a much better after that douchenozzle left the band. Unfortunately they couldn't get rid of the other douchenozzle!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I don't really get all misty-eyed by any Metallica lyrics so... I essentially just pay attention to tone vocally and enjoy the riffage. Maybe unpopular or weird, but this is one of my favorites. And if they had made it a decade or so later, they may have been accused of ripping off Tool (for the intro, anyhow).

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Metallica has never held any interest for me. All I needed was about a minute into any given song to reconfirm... it's just kind of plodding, meat-head shit IMO, and Hatfield's voice is just annoying. Granted that Burton was talented as fuck, as is Trujillo, but they are so limited by the material. Lars can (and does) eat a dick. Maybe if they had a decent drummer from the beginning it might have gone somewhere?

Looking forward to seeing the next bands that show up in this thread. Hopefully I'll have something to add there. But if this is going to go on for more than a day (and I think it should), shouldn't it be Artist of the Week?
Ki77aan :twisted:
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

Fade To Black is a very depressing song, but also my favorite. It's difficult to listen to Metallica these days tho since I'm burnt out on them.

Also, the obligatory anything after Justice is garbage. Period.
From bearded clam cums bearded jam
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Orion is another favorite. For what should be, given the content of this thread so far, obvious reasons.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Naattik wrote: Looking forward to seeing the next bands that show up in this thread. Hopefully I'll have something to add there. But if this is going to go on for more than a day (and I think it should), shouldn't it be Artist of the Week?
I think a week is too long, as interest will be lost, but a day is quite possibly too short.

Anyway, the new Arist of the Day/Moment will be determined by the shuffle mode on my music player, since no one made any good suggestions for the next artist!

That artist is Tool (ok, let's make it the second artist my media player shuffles to): Mastodon

Don't forget to suggest who the next artist should be!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The best Mastodon track is Capillarian Crest, as I think it's probably their best showcase for the level of musicianship in the band. Some of the stretches of guitar playing and drumming in this track are phenomenal:

Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

You don't have any Kiss on that old iPod o' yours by any chance, do you?

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:You don't have any Kiss on that old iPod o' yours by any chance, do you?
Surprisingly not. I should rectify that problem, and am happy to make KISS the artist to follow Mastodon.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Outside of Leviathan Mastodon has done nothing for me.

However, Leviathan does kick major ass. Great stuff.

My favorite track of theirs is a 6 way tie between the first 6 tracks in the previously mentioned Leviathan.
Hey! Denty!
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Still yet to hear the last album. I doubt I'll ever bother.

But Crack The Skye was seriously good value though. Even though I'd probably only listen to the damn thing twice a year.

Didn't they promise to release an ep or something by the end of last year? Their "winter" album I believe they called it.

At least they actually release albums though....

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I have a hard time picking a favorite/best Mastodon song. I also have a hard time not picking this one:

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Actually scratch that. If you had a gun to my head this is my favorite overall: