Puscifer - Money $hot discussion thread

Maynard's multimedia extravaganza!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Puscifer New Album discussion thread

Post by hellboy »

I thought it was ok. It doesn't really build any hype for me about the album, but was enjoyable. Sounds like the album will be more like Conditions Of My Parole than V.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:I thought it was ok. It doesn't really build my hype for me about the album, but was enjoyable. Sounds like the album will be more like Conditions Of My Parole than V.
It's only 1 track and I've only been through it twice but I get the same feeling ... I'll spin it again a couple times to confirm and maybe revisit it when the record drops, but my initial reaction is fairly indifferent. I don't expect much from puscifer at this point and I didn't get much from puscifer again.

I'll save any additional comments for now and let you all bask in your enjoyment.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'm entirely indifferent to your indifference. We all saw it coming.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Not me. I'm in shock. Pete has always been head over heels for Puscifer.

By the way, I have to agree with Pete. Still want to hear the whole thang... when it leaks. Sorry MJK.
Ki77aan :twisted:
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Not entirely true ... I still think the original Rev track from Underworld is the shit. I enjoyed "V" for the most part and the "C" EP is quality for sure ... but the remixes, covers and remaining releases do nothing for me.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Will be interesting to hear this one live.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

I like the song and think the video is fantastic. Good to finally hear something new...
Be good to each other.
ZUG
Bronco's Fan

Post by ZUG »

tiresias wrote:...I do find may-jays spiritual metaphors to be a bit more under-wrought than usual, but I suspect he is saving the super obscure stuff for Tool 2016.
And I'm confused... I thought the majesty was already the Verde River? Or are we just now getting around to witnessing the majesty of other stuff, like rocks, cacti, desert scrub brush, etc.? This could be a running theme for every album!
tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

ZUG wrote: I thought the majesty was already the Verde River? Or are we just now getting around to witnessing the majesty of other stuff, like rocks, cacti, desert scrub brush, etc.? This could be a running theme for every album!
heh...heh... 8-)
“Casual Fan”
ZUG
Bronco's Fan

Post by ZUG »

Witnessing the majesty of (please insert sophomoric spirituality reference here)?

To be fair, I do like Puscifer. Perhaps more than Tool, well certainly more than Tool if they don't head for Disposition/Intension territory on this next one. Otherwise they're just old guys doing their version of metal to me. Puscifer feels a little more expansive, but vocally this tune sounds like a mash-up of 'The Green Valley' and 'The Humbling River'. Basically it's Puscifer doing Puscifer on auto-pilot. This song could work well as an album closer, but for a first single it's a a bit of a head-scratcher for me. Still have hope for the album.
Last edited by ZUG on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

How is Puscifer above Ghost in that line-up? It's not like Puscifer is more popular.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/ex ... -1-7525665
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I don't think you could make a strong case for them being much different in popularity really.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Would Chickenfoot be above Puscifer if they were on the bill?
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Chickenfart is an embarrassment of a "band".

And yes, they likely would get higher billing. Pathetic.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Yea they do but Haggar by himself is probably more famous than Tool. Though I don't think they'd be billed above Tool.

I'm thinking of the right band, right? I could google but that takes other effort.
Hey! Denty!
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

ZUG wrote:Basically it's Puscifer doing Puscifer on auto-pilot. .

This. Pretty much. Lyrically it was pretty repetitive and....not particularly well thought out. The "standing on the edge of forever" bit made me cringe.

Musically it was passable.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

I'm not going to do a review complaining about the song or the lyrics... it was a good song from a good band with a awesome video. No complaints. It's new music.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Lyrics really only ever get criticised when rest the song isn't that good. There are plenty of great songs out their with lyrics that are awful, cringeworthy tripe.
ZUG
Bronco's Fan

Post by ZUG »

hellboy wrote:Lyrics really only ever get criticised when rest the song isn't that good. There are plenty of great songs out their with lyrics that are awful, cringeworthy tripe.
I agree with this. Trent Reznor is the first to admit that lyrics are hard for him and a lot of NIN stuff word-wise is a bit off, even if the music behind it is good. I'm sure there are many examples of this. On the flipside sometimes Nick Cave or Leonard Cohen have profound lyrics but the music is bland or uninspiring.

As for this Puscifer track, I listened to it again a couple of times and haven't really changed my opinion of it. There's two movements in the song: the first part has repetitive lyrics and some heavy-handed imagery with all of that "majesty" witnessing that's going on and while the second part has a cool little glitchy type of bridge (not sure if I got annoyed with the blips a few listens in though) the only resolution that happens are some fading "oh oh oh's" during the outro. All in all there's no real progression or crescendo, climax (not the right "oh, oh, oh's" I guess?) or whatever I'd look for in a song like this. And as mentioned before I feel like the tone of it, as well as the structure, has already been done on the 'The Green Valley' and 'Humbling River' tracks. This repeated theme of being awed and humbled and inspired by never explicitly named stuff in the world is getting kinda old too. Yes, there's a sky with stars and some expansive terrain and landscape just about anywhere you go; there's even oceans too! They're immense and vast, we get it!

Dunno, maybe I'm too critical here. I don't wanna get down on them too much because I do feel like the model of the band leaves a lot of room for different styles and flavours. We wouldn't think twice if Puscifer had a straight-ahead metal song on this new record, nor would we second-guess an acoustic tune with mandolins and dobros or whatever else. I don't think Tool would be given as much leeway.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Ravenpig wrote:Money Shot is an incredibly childish, immature, and dumb name....

I love it

It's something Motley Crue would churn out.....back in 1991.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Unlike V is for Vagina and Conditions of my Parole which are very mature.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

C is for Classy Genitalia.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

New album's cover:

I don't like it. It's stupid, not the good kind of stupid like the COMP cover. Why celebrities? Two thumbs down from this guy.
Hey! Denty!
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Track listing
1. Galileo
2. Agostina
3. Grand Canyon
4. Simultaneous
5. Money Shot
6. The Arsonist
7. The Remedy
8. Smoke and Mirrors
9. Life of Brian (Apparently You Haven’t Seen)
10. Autumn