Video game news

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Video game news

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote: How 'optimised' are pc games for game controllers?
For the most part, they are identical to the console versions, though obviously some game types lend themselves to better control with a mouse & keyboard.
Not Tyson wrote:Steam box could change the game.
That's what I'm expecting - the Steambox and VR tech like Oculus Rift are where things are headed. Until either of these are a reality I'm not sure I'll upgrade to a console.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:I'm completely confused as what to get next.

Steam box could change the game.

How 'optimised' are pc games for game controllers?
If you can afford a 360 and $500 for PC - never buy a Steambox.

Can we do this? This is a convo I've been curious about for a while.

I have a shitty i7 quad 8gig (upgraded) laptop. I can play literally anything I want to. Saying that, I mean I can play any game I want to.

Steamboxes make sense to me, in that they're for peope who have no idea,

Am I right?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:
Perhaps we want different things.

I want a "world". Such as SKYRIM and even MIRROR'S EDGE.

I can accept that that's not what you dig. Cool.

Good conversation, though. Believe it or not, you have turned me onto indie games I would've simply brushed aside.
Possibly. Fundamentally I want a good gaming experience, and I think you want the same. What we define as a good gaming experience differs. I'm not sure about your gaming experience, but I grew up playing games on the Commodore 64 and older consoles, and due to their lack of shiny graphics, it's almost forces you to enjoy the game for what it is, rather than what it isn't.

I love Skyrim and a range of AAA titles. I always enjoy a game that pushes graphical boundaries.

It can be an OR thing rather than an AND though.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote: Steamboxes make sense to me, in that they're for peope who have no idea,
You are largely correct, but the problem is that the "people who have no idea" will always make up the majority. That the same foundation can be shared with those that do have a good idea is a positive thing.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

My misinformed opinion:

1. Can you afford a "serious" PC?

2. Do you fucking really incredibly need indie games? (If so, God love you)

3. Do you already own a 360 controller?

If you have answered "yes" to the above, build your own PC.

I get Steamboxes; I do. But as a PC gamer (on his fucking laptop, no less) I don't.

At this point, you could build a shitty tower with enough RAM to fuck an elephant: For about US$400.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote: Steamboxes make sense to me, in that they're for peope who have no idea,
You are largely correct, but the problem is that the "people who have no idea" will always make up the majority. That the same foundation can be shared with those that do have a good idea is a positive thing.
But would not they have already bought a console?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote: But would not they have already bought a console?
Yes, but consoles don't last forever. The next time around they may look at the library available on a Steambox and decide to give it a go.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:
Perhaps we want different things.

I want a "world". Such as SKYRIM and even MIRROR'S EDGE.

I can accept that that's not what you dig. Cool.

Good conversation, though. Believe it or not, you have turned me onto indie games I would've simply brushed aside.
Possibly. Fundamentally I want a good gaming experience, and I think you want the same. What we define as a good gaming experience differs. I'm not sure about your gaming experience, but I grew up playing games on the Commodore 64 and older consoles, and due to their lack of shiny graphics, it's almost forces you to enjoy the game for what it is, rather than what it isn't.

I love Skyrim and a range of AAA titles. I always enjoy a game that pushes graphical boundaries.

It can be an OR thing rather than an AND though.
I'm going to embarrass myself here: But would you mind very much if I asked you for advice when I build my own computer?

No joke; and say no, if you want.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I have no problem dropping some cash on one of these instead of a console but am I getting ripped off?

http://www.mwave.com.au/desktop-compute ... hermaltake

How hard is it to swap out video cards as well?

Noob sorry.

Basically it won't just be for gaming, I want it to be my media hub, hook it up to a big ass TV and eventually an audio system of some sort, even if it's just two big speakers, surround sound doesn't do much for me.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote: But would not they have already bought a console?
Yes, but consoles don't last forever. The next time around they may look at the library available on a Steambox and decide to give it a go.
Huh. Good point.

Even though I have literally no cash, I still look at the weekly deals on Steam.

Very good point.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:I have no problem dropping some cash on one of these instead of a console but am I getting ripped off?

Noob sorry.

Basically it won't just be for gaming, I want it to be my media hub, hook it up to a big ass TV and eventually an audio system of some sort, even if it's just two big speakers, surround sound doesn't do much for me.
Hellboi? Or do you want me to do this?

Honestly, I think our Brother would be better off with your advice.

That said:

RAM, and Graphics card. That's it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

The Boss wrote:
Not Tyson wrote:I have no problem dropping some cash on one of these instead of a console but am I getting ripped off?

Noob sorry.

Hellboi? Or do you want me to do this?

Honestly, I think our Brother would be better off with your advice.

That said:

RAM, and Graphics card. That's it.
You have an HDMI plug on your laptop?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:
Take a look at Scorptec. They're a Victorian based company, but I don't have anything other than good things to say about them:

http://www.scorptec.com.au/systems/scorptec

The small form factor one their looks quite good, though a little pricey.

Swapping video cards around is relatively easy - just undoing a couple of screws and plugging/unplugging of cables. The difficult part is usually finding a card 2 years later that has the right level of capability with your now nearly obsolete PC (though this isn't too hard these days).
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I should add that the PC's on Mwave look fine, but I know very little about whether they are a good company to do business with.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:I should add that the PC's on Mwave look fine, but I know very little about whether they are a good company to do business with.
I adore your av
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Noob sorry.

Couldn't agree with you more about surround sound. Will take two high quality speakers over a surround system any day. HB has given you good computer advice. If you run into any networking related issues setting up your media hub would be happy to help.

One other quick pro tip...don't go cheap on your cabling. You really do get what you pay for, from HDMI to speaker wire etc etc. You might want to also look into a line conditioner. It removes electical noise and stabilizes power line fluctuations. Really makes a difference on the audio/video side.
The most intelligent person on this forum
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

M0G wrote:One other quick pro tip...don't go cheap on your cabling. You really do get what you pay for, from HDMI to speaker wire etc etc.
Err not so sure on this, I've read a lot of people saying it doesn't matter, will concede with some facts from yourself.

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/are-gold-pl ... s-mailbag/

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/why-all-hdm ... -the-same/
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Graphics card toes matters etc
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Don't cheap out on cables, but there's no need to buy premium shit either. The durability and construction of the cables may be better, but any improvement in the quality of transmission is debatable.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I'm quickly moving away from the idea of a gaming computer and just getting a shudder PS4, I have no idea why I feel brand loyalty to Microshit but yeah.

Still get a decent computer to use as a media hub though, but will wait until the NBN is ready (currently groundwork is underway) and finally get my place hooked up for it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:I'm quickly moving away from the idea of a gaming computer and just getting a shudder PS4, I have no idea why I feel brand loyalty to Microshit but yeah.

Still get a decent computer to use as a media hub though, but will wait until the NBN is ready (currently groundwork is underway) and finally get my place hooked up for it.
Why the fuck wuld you shudder at a PS4?

UNless you dig mods and indies, which you don't, PS4 all the way.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

What do you want your media hub to be able to do? With the exception of torrenting and other downloading/piracy, I expect a PS4 (or an Xbone) would be able to do most of it already.

Or you could look at something like this: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homeente ... iaplayers/
I have one of the basic ones for my TV in the kitchen, and it does a great job for the price.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy wrote:What do you want your media hub to be able to do? With the exception of torrenting and other downloading/piracy, I expect a PS4 (or an Xbone) would be able to do most of it already.

Or you could look at something like this: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homeente ... iaplayers/
I have one of the basic ones for my TV in the kitchen, and it does a great job for the price.
Basically everything my laptop does for me now, except I can sit on the couch and browse the web, play my downloaded music, watch tv shows and movies illegally etc on my big screen.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

The Boss wrote:
Not Tyson wrote:I'm quickly moving away from the idea of a gaming computer and just getting a shudder PS4, I have no idea why I feel brand loyalty to Microshit but yeah.

Why the fuck wuld you shudder at a PS4?

UNless you dig mods and indies, which you don't, PS4 all the way.
I said I have no idea.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:What do you want your media hub to be able to do? With the exception of torrenting and other downloading/piracy, I expect a PS4 (or an Xbone) would be able to do most of it already.

Um, my life has substantially improved since mods for "SKYRIM".

Can't get them on PSx or Xboxx