Fear Inoculum

The Main Event
Post Reply
User avatar
lukas
Geacon
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:43 am

Fear Inoculum

Post by lukas » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:43 pm

Discuss

Raffa D
My pain is just an excuse
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 4:11 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Raffa D » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:51 pm

Fear of vaccination.

User avatar
ms2r
Fornicraster
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by ms2r » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:54 pm

Anti-vax.

User avatar
fractal-machine
Has been
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:13 am
Location: Behind you

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by fractal-machine » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Holy Gift!
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.

User avatar
xZ1mM3r
Adsense Clicker
Posts: 2122
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Autzen Stadium

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by xZ1mM3r » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm

interesting...

Inoculum:
a substance used for inoculation.

Inoculation:
the action of inoculating or of being inoculated; vaccination.

Fear Inoculum:
The substance used to prevent or vaccinate against Fear.

Ghenghis
Maynard Believer
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Ghenghis » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:16 pm



Stoic approach to fear. Prepare for the worst by practicing the worst case scenario.

User avatar
Shed523
Has been
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Shed523 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:20 pm

Let’s say the substance is more of a voice or message meant to inoculate fear. To “vaccinate” or maybe to brainwash with fear. Just a thought.
72826

User avatar
fractal-machine
Has been
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:13 am
Location: Behind you

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by fractal-machine » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:32 pm

Tool is giving fear vaccinations.
Think for yourself. Question authority.
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.

User avatar
M0G
Lungsmen
Posts: 1953
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by M0G » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:34 pm

xZ1mM3r wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm
interesting...

Inoculum:
a substance used for inoculation.

Inoculation:
the action of inoculating or of being inoculated; vaccination.

Fear Inoculum:
The substance used to prevent or vaccinate against Fear.
Not grammatically correct. Inoculum is the substance or material being used to inoculate. The substance in a sentence goes directly in front of Inoculum. So in a sentence the material ALWAYS goes in front. Fear Inoculum could not be a substance used to prevent or vaccinate against Fear that would not be grammatically correct.

Go look it up. Any science journal or any basic dictionary.

To be more precise as it stands, Fear Inoculum would be the act of injecting Fear into an organism to create a resistance against a disease. So the only way you could get to your definition would be to make an assumption as to what the disease is. To further clarify, if we are going exactly as defined, your definition would be Using Fear as an Inoculum to create a resistance against Fear, which just comes off as foolish and long winded, not to mention having to create an assumption that Fear is the disease to make it work grammatically.
The most intelligent person on this forum

User avatar
xZ1mM3r
Adsense Clicker
Posts: 2122
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Autzen Stadium

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by xZ1mM3r » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:45 pm

M0G wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:34 pm
xZ1mM3r wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm
interesting...

Inoculum:
a substance used for inoculation.

Inoculation:
the action of inoculating or of being inoculated; vaccination.

Fear Inoculum:
The substance used to prevent or vaccinate against Fear.
Not grammatically correct. Inoculum is the substance or material being used to inoculate. The substance in a sentence goes directly in front of Inoculum. So in a sentence the material ALWAYS goes in front. Fear Inoculum could not be a substance used to prevent or vaccinate against Fear that would not be grammatically correct.

Go look it up. Any science journal or any basic dictionary.
What would i ever do with out the all knowing M0G.... thank you for correcting me. Im sure you and Maynard had a great time discussing the meaning of the album title and how it ties into the theme of the record. Great stuff. Looking forward to hearing your input on Joe's podcast today.

For a person that has insisted they only care about the music, and who doesn't give a shit about titles, art, or packaging you sure are active today.

User avatar
xZ1mM3r
Adsense Clicker
Posts: 2122
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Autzen Stadium

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by xZ1mM3r » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:49 pm

M0G wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:34 pm
your definition would be Using Fear as an Inoculum to create a resistance against Fear, which just comes off as foolish and long winded, not to mention having to create an assumption that Fear is the disease to make it work grammatically.
Thats actually exactly how I interpreted it. It fits right in with Maynards pretty obvious politicaly standing, as well as the media hub bub about "fear mongering" etc. with todays hot topics... it makes total sense that MJK would release a record to work against it. to eradicate fear.

rshforgothispw
Green Herbsman
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:54 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by rshforgothispw » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:58 pm

Shed523 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:20 pm
Let’s say the substance is more of a voice or message meant to inoculate fear. To “vaccinate” or maybe to brainwash with fear. Just a thought.
This is what I’m thinking

User avatar
M0G
Lungsmen
Posts: 1953
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by M0G » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:59 pm

xZ1mM3r wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:49 pm
M0G wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:34 pm
your definition would be Using Fear as an Inoculum to create a resistance against Fear, which just comes off as foolish and long winded, not to mention having to create an assumption that Fear is the disease to make it work grammatically.
Thats actually exactly how I interpreted it. It fits right in with Maynards pretty obvious politicaly standing, as well as the media hub bub about "fear mongering" etc. with todays hot topics... it makes total sense that MJK would release a record to work against it. to eradicate fear.
Unfortunately that is simply not grammatically possible based off the title itself.

They could have called the album Turds Marching in Formation and I wouldn't give a shit. I am simply correcting your grammar as you were under the wrong assumption of how Inoculum is defined and used in a sentence because your definition is simply wrong. An Inoculum is any material used in an inoculation. That is the definition. Using Fear Inoculum in a sentence would simply mean you are using fear as a substance in an inoculation. English. Not me.

Let's take a closer look. You couldn't use the title to frame a case for Maynard releasing a record to eradicate fear based off the title because that doesn't work grammatically. Going off your assumption the record, to be correct grammatically based off the title, would be using Fear as a Substance in an Inoculation to create a resistance against Fear. The point being USING fear to eradicate fear. You are missing the using part, which again is still based on an assumption because the disease is not defined. This is english 101 stuff. Not trying to give you a hard time just trying to clear up what Inoculum is and how it is used properly in a sentence.

Also trying to point out why the title is a bit off
Last edited by M0G on Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most intelligent person on this forum

User avatar
xZ1mM3r
Adsense Clicker
Posts: 2122
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Autzen Stadium

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by xZ1mM3r » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:06 pm

Yea you're right.... Ænima and Lateralus fit all grammar and English 101 rules... I forgot about that.

User avatar
M0G
Lungsmen
Posts: 1953
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by M0G » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:19 pm

xZ1mM3r wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:06 pm
Yea you're right.... Ænima and Lateralus fit all grammar and English 101 rules... I forgot about that.
Aenima is a play on anima, which Jung used often (see Forty Six & 2) and having an enema. The play on words fits. Lateralus is a play on Lateral thinking. Neither were trying to be grammatically accurate.

Fear Inoculum doesn't work as a play on words based off the narrow definition of what an Inoculum is. So based of the title alone to say Fear Inoculum is an inoculation against fear is completely grammatically wrong.

You are taking this personally and I am not entirely sure why. I am pointing out defined grammar. Not my opinion. Defined grammar. I am not attacking you. If you feel that way I apologize. I won't saying anything more on it. I am sure it is going to be a very good album. Enjoy
The most intelligent person on this forum

User avatar
ziggy23
Lost Cosmonaut
Posts: 2912
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:10 am
Location: MOBILIZE - STAY ALIVE

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by ziggy23 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:35 pm

"Album Art, Lead Track, and Pre-Order info TBA. Thank you for your patience."
Last edited by ziggy23 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.

Tool_User
Green Herbsman
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Tool_User » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:39 pm

Lead track.. Guess that's the single. Hum dinger!

User avatar
basejumper
Eiwob
Posts: 1409
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:13 am
Location: State of Confusion

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by basejumper » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:42 pm

M0G wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:19 pm
xZ1mM3r wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:06 pm
Yea you're right.... Ænima and Lateralus fit all grammar and English 101 rules... I forgot about that.
I am pointing out defined grammar. Not my opinion. Defined grammar.
M0G, you have not won the moderator poll yet so you are not correct in your use of authority. Kiitaan still holds that power.
:P
Professor of Lesbian Science

User avatar
tys0n
Adsense Clicker
Posts: 2132
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by tys0n » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:54 pm

Anagram/Anagrammers time!

Unmerciful au (au is gold on the periodic table), simple google search leads to the Parable of the Unforgiving Servant.

or others

Fear Manicure

A Uniform Clue

A Foul Numeric

Clue in a Forum

Lure of a Cumin

I am Uncle Four
Canned audience laughter

User avatar
ziggy23
Lost Cosmonaut
Posts: 2912
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:10 am
Location: MOBILIZE - STAY ALIVE

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by ziggy23 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:59 pm

Lunarium Cola
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.

User avatar
Busty McCracken
Dopocalyptic
Posts: 1832
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Busty McCracken » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Here's my thoughts on why I think it's silly to be ragging on the new title.

When you first got into Tool, whether it be after Aenima , Lateralus or whatever. When you first heard the album did you instantly say to yourself what a crap album title, it sounds cliché, silly, forced, grammatically incorrect etc etc. I would argue you enjoyed the music and accepted the album title for what it was without too much judgement. It's your own bias and love towards the band and just general insta rage that society seems to have these days that is likely making you judge the title. It's an album title for fucks sake and we don't know the full context yet. At least try reserve your judgement until you see the final product is all.

This is a good day, not a day for ranting. Back catalogue to be released this week, new single to drop soon, track listing. One month to the day we get new album,. Be happy people.
Grindcore blows

User avatar
ziggy23
Lost Cosmonaut
Posts: 2912
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:10 am
Location: MOBILIZE - STAY ALIVE

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by ziggy23 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:18 pm

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.

User avatar
M0G
Lungsmen
Posts: 1953
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by M0G » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:24 pm

Busty McCracken wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:05 pm
Here's my thoughts on why I think it's silly to be ragging on the new title.

When you first got into Tool, whether it be after Aenima , Lateralus or whatever. When you first heard the album did you instantly say to yourself what a crap album title, it sounds cliché, silly, forced, grammatically incorrect etc etc. I would argue you enjoyed the music and accepted the album title for what it was without too much judgement. It's your own bias and love towards the band and just general insta rage that society seems to have these days that is likely making you judge the title. It's an album title for fucks sake and we don't know the full context yet. At least try reserve your judgement until you see the final product is all.

This is a good day, not a day for ranting. Back catalogue to be released this week, new single to drop soon, track listing. One month to the day we get new album,. Be happy people.
No rage to be found that I can see. I don't like the title but I agree overall it is certainly a good day. It being a good day doesn't mean one HAS to like the title. That is not a requirement. No judgement has been passed on the album based on the title, nor will there be from me at least. I am NEVER going to like Fear Inoculum as a title. That has ZERO impact on how I will judge or score the album.
The most intelligent person on this forum

User avatar
fractal-machine
Has been
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:13 am
Location: Behind you

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by fractal-machine » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:35 pm

ziggy23 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:18 pm
Interesting
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.

User avatar
liz
Scissorman
Posts: 1347
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:03 am
Location: Radelaide

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by liz » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:39 pm

M0G wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:34 pm

To be more precise as it stands, Fear Inoculum would be the act of injecting Fear into an organism to create a resistance against a disease. So the only way you could get to your definition would be to make an assumption as to what the disease is. To further clarify, if we are going exactly as defined, your definition would be Using Fear as an Inoculum to create a resistance against Fear, which just comes off as foolish and long winded, not to mention having to create an assumption that Fear is the disease to make it work grammatically.
What crap. As it stands Fear Inoculum could be a directive or suggestion. Raffa called it second post. It could also be an act of fear prevention as Z suggests. When we inoculate something we use part of that something to teach our bodies how to fight it.

Mog Inoculum for example can be achieved by micro dosing with verbose repetitious rants. After a while the brain begins to actively, but subconsciously, decipher Moggisms and move them quickly on without unnecessary soiling and contamination of our higher functioning.
"He has no enemies but is intensely disliked by his friends."

Post Reply