has a small dick

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Don't mow your lawn
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

just finished "the Talisman", fucking excellent book. I have "Dr. Sleep" on the way.. currently reading Mario Puzo's lost Godfather prequel screenplay (turned into a novel, posthumously) "The Family Corleone", it's an easy read especially if you're a Godfather freak like me.

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

just finished Black House which was a lot of fun. easy read, as most of Stephen's work.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Ugh, people who read King.

And think that reading him is worth it.

Just, ugh.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

The Stand is still one of my favorite books of all time. It's worth it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:The Stand is still one of my favorite books of all time. It's worth it.
The series was better,
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:
hellboy wrote:The Stand is still one of my favorite books of all time. It's worth it.
The series was better,
What series?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:
The series was better,
What series?
Sorry The story was much bettwr
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:
hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:
The series was better,
What series?
Sorry The story was much bettwr
Sorry, I still don't understand. The story/series/something was much better than what (The Stand I presume)?
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:just finished "the Talisman", fucking excellent book. I have "Dr. Sleep" on the way.. currently reading Mario Puzo's lost Godfather prequel screenplay (turned into a novel, posthumously) "The Family Corleone", it's an easy read especially if you're a Godfather freak like me.

Did you like The Family Corleone?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Helljoy: I remember read "THE STAND" as a series of extremely short novellas. Thus, the "series" was better.

I don't remember anything, to be honest. Sorry for the confusion.

Change of subject: Has anyone read "HIS DARK MATERIALS"? Please don't let the (frankly wonderful) movie put you off. The books have an underlying subtext that is just fucking devastating.

I highly recommend them.

Try to get the non-American version. The lead female character has a beautiful sexual awakening that makes her seem like such a real human being that it's sad that it was left out. There's nothing graphic, but it relies on your imagination. I felt like weeping while reading that part, to be honest. It was gorgeous.

Also, they kill God. No spoiler, because you'd have to be retarded to not be able to see that coming.

Still awesome, though.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Stephen King's books would be a lot better if he actually planned out an ending before he started writing. It's annoying how many of his books end with the main characters using some sort of bullshit magic to solve their problems. Even the books that don't have a deus-ex machina event generally have unsatisfying endings. Duma Key is the perfect example of a good book that really falls apart at the end.

He could also use an editor, someone to trim some of the fat off of some of these books. 11/22/63 really did not need that weird "time hobo" subplot.

I feel like there was another complaint I wanted to add, but I don't remember what it was.

Anyways, The Talisman is probably one of the better books he's written. Probably because it was co-written by Peter Straub. Really solid modern fantasy adventure book. Really enjoyed it.

I just remembered my other complaint.

Black House was alright, but had too much Stephen King in it. It wasn't as much fun as The Talisman. It didn't help that it had to be tied into The Dark Tower. That's my third complaint about Stephen King, he has to fucking tie everything into the Dark Tower lore. I don't want to have to read 7 other books to understand this one book that is a sequel to another book that wasn't related at all to those other 7 books.

Anyways I've read a couple of Peter Straub books and they're pretty good. At least Ghost Story is, I don't really remember much of the other one. Lost Boy, Lost Girl was the other one and I do remember thinking it was pretty good, but it's been a few years. I revisited Ghost Story last year and that one holds up, so I'd assume Lost Boy, Lost Girl does as well.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Right now I'm reading Bleak House. Well not right now right now, right now I'm reading these words that I'm typing right now.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Stephen King's books would be a lot better if he actually planned out an ending before he started writing. It's annoying how many of his books end with the main characters using some sort of bullshit magic to solve their problems. Even the books that don't have a deus-ex machina event generally have unsatisfying endings. Duma Key is the perfect example of a good book that really falls apart at the end.

He could also use an editor, someone to trim some of the fat off of some of these books. 11/22/63 really did not need that weird "time hobo" subplot.

I feel like there was another complaint I wanted to add, but I don't remember what it was.

Anyways, The Talisman is probably one of the better books he's written. Probably because it was co-written by Peter Straub. Really solid modern fantasy adventure book. Really enjoyed it.

I just remembered my other complaint.

Black House was alright, but had too much Stephen King in it. It wasn't as much fun as The Talisman. It didn't help that it had to be tied into The Dark Tower. That's my third complaint about Stephen King, he has to fucking tie everything into the Dark Tower lore. I don't want to have to read 7 other books to understand this one book that is a sequel to another book that wasn't related at all to those other 7 books.

Anyways I've read a couple of Peter Straub books and they're pretty good. At least Ghost Story is, I don't really remember much of the other one. Lost Boy, Lost Girl was the other one and I do remember thinking it was pretty good, but it's been a few years. I revisited Ghost Story last year and that one holds up, so I'd assume Lost Boy, Lost Girl does as well.
Yeah, you are now my favourite FE member.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:Helljoy: I remember read "THE STAND" as a series of extremely short novellas. Thus, the "series" was better.

Yeah, not sure what you're talking about still. There are no novellas for The Stand as far as I can tell. Maybe you're thinking of Stand By Me?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:Helljoy: I remember read "THE STAND" as a series of extremely short novellas. Thus, the "series" was better.

Yeah, not sure what you're talking about still. There are no novellas for The Stand as far as I can tell. Maybe you're thinking of Stand By Me?
Nah, brother, seriously:

I bought this "package" from a second hand book store: It was seven (?) VERY thin novellas of "THE STAND".

I'm starting to get that this was something incredibly unique, so I get why you don't believe me.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:
hellboy wrote:
Nah, brother, seriously:

I bought this "package" from a second hand book store: It was seven (?) VERY thin novellas of "THE STAND".

I'm starting to get that this was something incredibly unique, so I get why you don't believe me.
Not so much a case of not believing you (though I can't find anything by searching on Google). More that I'm trying to get more info so that I can find them, as I expect they'd be something I'd enjoy reading.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:
hellboy wrote:
Nah, brother, seriously:

Not so much a case of not believing you (though I can't find anything by searching on Google). More that I'm trying to get more info so that I can find them, as I expect they'd be something I'd enjoy reading.
Oh, really? Sorry, I read you all wrong, then.

I strongly suspect that they were short-short one-offs. They were fundamentally chapter-based.

Weird you can't find anything about them online. Makes me regret palming them off once I was done. They sound downright rare now.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

They were actual stories, not graphic novels?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:They were actual stories, not graphic novels?
Yes. As I said, they were, as far as I could tell, the actual chapters - broken up into novellas.

On topic, still with it: "HOUSE OF LEAVES".

I have never read a book that hurt me as much as that one. "SIDDHARTHA" made me cry (hard) on an existential level - but "HoL"? Wow.

Read it if you have lived a good life. Otherwise, get the tissues ready.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

The Boss wrote:Ugh, people who read King.

And think that reading him is worth it.

Just, ugh.
it's just fun. I've been doing that lately. whatevers fun. life's been crazy. need to just sit back and be entertained sometimes I guess. I haven't read anything thought provoking in a while actually.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I tend to read before bed so really thought provoking stuff is a little counteractive. Stephen King stuff is fine in that regards, though I don't really like his horror stuff so I'm no fanboi.

His recent book with time travel and JFK was interesting
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:I tend to read before bed so really thought provoking stuff is a little counteractive. Stephen King stuff is fine in that regards, though I don't really like his horror stuff so I'm no fanboi.

His recent book with time travel and JFK was interesting
I'm happy you read that one. It was very interesting. It would make a good movie.