Opiate reissue to be signed?

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

toolphishdhs said
im liking the responses. I understand the big theoretical "why" reasons for these price hikes. i am asking what makes you personally be more attracted to so things. HB i think came the closest with his answer that since the band touched it that is greater than a factory churned out piece. If it is not personalized, then, how do you make that distinction? so they signed it, but they have signed countless items throughout their career. 

what is YOUR personal price for signatures. i have 1 $35 poster. they have the same poster with sharpie on it. What price are you willing to pay?  it is, afterall, the exact same poster.  what is your price fourtheye. 

does anyone think that it makes them a bigger fan to pay more a signed item?

Do you really not understand why something that is signed by the artists is more valuable? It's not some deep philosophical question, it's pretty obvious why and has already been addressed.  

phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

It's part of our culture to think that a signed item is more personal, like the person signed it for you on the spot.  People go nuts over that idea, and usually add elitist mentalities to the ownership of those items.  Just because you see the bullshit in that situation it doesn't mean it changes the culture.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Sprout said

This had to have been weird for him, right?  Who else here thinks it's weird he signed this as well?  Maybe it's just me?

Hey! Denty!
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

toolphishdhs said
was not meant as a slight but just furthering the question. 

But it's already been addressed.

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig said
This had to have been weird for him, right?  Who else here thinks it's weird he signed this as well?  Maybe it's just me?
Justin is a pretty straight up guy.  I doubt he's over analysed it as much as your typical Tool fan.  "Sign a box and make $xx,000 from it?  Sure!"
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig said

Sprout said

I agree with the first part, not so much the second.

I think it'd be weirder if only Maynard, Danny, and Adam signed.

Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

If they wanted to really personalise it they should have each dipped their penises in ink and left the outline on the box, then I'd buy one (and some plaster kits)
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

toolphishdhs said
and no, i do not at all see how adding signatures will increase the value of something like a poster or cd.

Then you're an idiot
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

toolphishdhs said

phox_ said
It's part of our culture to think that a signed item is more personal, like the person signed it for you on the spot.  People go nuts over that idea, and usually add elitist mentalities to the ownership of those items.  Just because you see the bullshit in that situation it doesn't mean it changes the culture.

good answer. i tend to agree with your sentiment but i want to hear from others as well. 

Not sure that this is a real cultural issue that needs to be addressed.

Your point in regards to being a better Tool fan is an interesting one.  Better in an elitist way? Not at all for me.  Better in that I provide more aid and support for the band.  Yes.  I go to multiple Tool shows per tour, I buy shirts, I buy other stuff (never brought a poster though).  Fact is that does make me a better fan.

what is YOUR price fourtheye?

I've mentioned mine already, around $100.  Based on how much the signed Salival was $150 or more wouldn't be a great surprise.

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

hellboy1975 said

Ravenpig said

Justin is a pretty straight up guy.  I doubt he's over analysed it as much as your typical Tool fan.  "Sign a box and make $xx,000 from it?  Sure!"

I understand why he would sign it and it's obviously better with him having signed as well.  He's in the band and we don't even know what kind of relationship they have with Paul at this point, other than Danny (who recently made a song with his band).

Even with that considered, I don't know if you directed the bolded part specifically at me (and I may very well be one of those, whatever that means), but I'd imagine the "typical Tool fan" would also think it makes more sense that Paul signs it instead.

Hey! Denty!
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

I've been trying to keep up with the happenings on this re-release.  However the one question I have that I have yet to see addressed is how is one supposed to get one of each of the 5 "editions"?

I know it has been said you can only buy 3 at a time of each edition.

Will each "edition" be listed on the site individually? I.E. I can click add to cart on each "edition" and buy all 5 edtions at once?

Will there be a completionist listing for buying all 5 at once?

Will it be random luck?

If random luck, how the hell am I supposed to complete a set? ({snickering}, eBay most likely)

My inner completionist brain is hurting without the information.

BTW I will happily pay $100 maybe even $125 per edition if signed.

$50 per edition if unsigned.

They can piss off if they charge $125 without being guaranteed of a signature.
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

I'd rather be the guy that wrote their contract getting their signatures... but I'll take a copy of this if I can get it.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig said

hellboy1975 said

Ravenpig said

I understand why he would sign it and it's obviously better with him having signed as well.  He's in the band and we don't even know what kind of relationship they have with Paul at this point, other than Danny (who recently made a song with his band).

Even with that considered, I don't know if you directed the bolded part specifically at me (and I may very well be one of those, whatever that means), but I'd imagine the "typical Tool fan" would also think it makes more sense that Paul signs it instead.

By now Justin has probably played those songs more than Paul has.  I don't think it's really that big of a deal if he signs it.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig said 
I don't know if you directed the bolded part specifically at me

Nah, wasn't directed at you specifically.  I think it makes complete sense for Paul to sign it, however am not surprised at all to see Justin sign.  After all he most likely had some say in the artwork.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

bigboy55693 said 
Will each "edition" be listed on the site individually? I.E. I can click add to cart on each "edition" and buy all 5 edtions at once?

Will there be a completionist listing for buying all 5 at once?

Will it be random luck?

We don't know the answers to those questions yet.  

BTW I will happily pay $100 maybe even $125 per edition if signed.

$50 per edition if unsigned.

They can piss off if they charge $125 without being guaranteed of a signature.

That's pretty much how I see it as well.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

hellboy1975 said

Ravenpig said 
I don't know if you directed the bolded part specifically at me

Nah, wasn't directed at you specifically.  I think it makes complete sense for Paul to sign it, however am not surprised at all to see Justin sign.  After all he most likely had some say in the artwork.

You really think the other 3 had anything to do with the artwork other than giving their "ok"? 

What I mean by that is other than each member's veto power, how much do you think they actually contributed?  This project seems to me like the other guys just told Adam, "yea go crazy, do whatever you want it".
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig said 
You really think the other 3 had anything to do with the artwork other than giving their "ok"? 

As far as contributing artwork?  No I don't expect that any of the other members has.  

As far as making suggestions regarding the package?  My belief is that Tool work more democratically than just "do whatever you like Adam".
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

hellboy1975 said

Ravenpig said 

As far as contributing artwork?  No I don't expect that any of the other members has.  

As far as making suggestions regarding the package?  My belief is that Tool work more democratically than just "do whatever you like Adam".

I'm sure most of us agree with that, I just meant this project specifically. 
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig said 

I apply that same belief to all Tool projects, though I accept that may be pretty naive at times.  There is no "i" in team.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said

Ravenpig said 

I apply that same belief to all Tool projects, though I accept that may be pretty naive at times.  There is no "i" in Team America.

Uh, yes there is.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

When it comes to their big 6 releases, I agree 100%.

But this and the dvd singles? Doubt their involvement was much more than "yea cool go for it".

I may be wrong, whatevs
Hey! Denty!