Opiate Reissue: What we know!

nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

bigboy55693 said
I just got done sifting through this thread from page one to now page twelve looking for a concrete release time for preparations for the 26th.

I only saw one mention of 10AM EST as the release time, is this the consensus?

What is the consensus, or what time did you feel was the release time?

Thanks for your input.

They went up for sale shortly after 9 a.m. Pacific time.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

gamebounty said
I have no interest in this release. It's cool for people who are into that stuff but I'm not one of them. I want new material and nothing more. All this recent buzz is boring. But do you notice how I've been able to just... you know... not bitch? This place is on fire lately with all this arguing. How hard is it to just turn the other cheek until something of interest comes along? I haven't even read 95% of the posts that have been made recently, but I check the site multiple times a day. It's that simple.

Great post.  I'm with you.  In fact, I just created a poll in hopes that people will just vote on the topic, make their case and let it rest. Move on to something less divisive and more interesting.  Hope it works.  I'm done with this shit.
Ki77aan :twisted:
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

insertcrypticnameher said
it's a luxury item so whether you can afford it or not is kind of irrelevant regardless of whether Adam said it was a "thank you" to the fans or not. Belive it or not you aren't entitled to a limited edition autographed reissue of an album by a band you like. The fact that the pre-sale ones sold out immediately tells me their estimation of the worth of these things is a little more rational than angry-messageboard-Tool-fan-guy. And yeah, if they don't price in at least some of the aftermarket value then it's some guy on ebay making the difference and not the guys who actually made it in the first place.

If you don't want it, congratulations, but wearing it on your chest as a badge of honor is just sad and old. I mean, was there any price point at which Mog wouldn't be whining? That's like his entire schtick (rest assured though if he ever produced anything of value he'd stay true to the art maaaaaan).

Blah blah fucking blah.  Luxury item my ass.  A thank you to your fans isn't a luxury item.  That's a large fuck you to the vast majority of the fan base.  Apologist bullshit.  It was a money grab.  The only members judging other members for their choices are you rabid Toolios.  Those of us who are critical in our analysis are critical of Tool, not those members that made the purchase, so fuck off.

I said before the price point has no relevance to me.  I could buy all five copies and it wouldn't impact me financially in the slightest.  That isn't the point.  That was never the point.  If you want to thank your fans, you release something that is reasonably affordable to your entire fan base, and you absolutely add legitimate value to the purchase beyond some new artwork and some signatures.

A reasonable price point would have been something that covered their overhead and made them a profit without gouging people.  $75-$80 bucks would have been reasonable.

insertcrypticnameher
Bronco's Fan

Post by insertcrypticnameher »

what can I say then, your critical thinking skills are just so highly developed that I probably can't even begin to understand how constantly complaining about what a band does or doesn't sell on a fansite for that band makes you anything other than a typical douche (If it wasn't for the "thank you" quote you'd have no problems with it though). We should definitely look into signed-album-reissue gouging though, it's probably on par with gas as far as pricing necessities go amirite? LolMog. I'll go back to being a rabid Toolio now.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

$75-$80 bucks is perfect. that's what Hellboy was saying before the release as well. a good price, "under $100". I still haven't gotten my info straight though, are they all signed?? or not?? sorry I'm being lazy.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

NYHC81 said
$75-$80 bucks is perfect. that's what Hellboy was saying before the release as well. a good price, "under $100". I still haven't gotten my info straight though, are they all signed?? or not?? sorry I'm being lazy.

They're all signed.

Don't mow your lawn
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

badkittygothgirl said

nxrm said

Bogart said

nxrm said "Keep us posted"

So- just to let you guys know, I received an email this morning stating that they changed the address on my order. Nice!

Excellent news Bogart. Glad to hear it.

I got the same email this morning!  Relieved to know my order will not be sitting on my doorstep on a rainy day.

wish i got an email.  it has a eight year old address for me before i knew how to change it.  i tried emailing them 3 times on friday. i hope they will get back to me before they ship.  any secret lingo or passwords yall used?  Kat, you going to to go to Soundgarden?
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

I simply replied to my order receipt requesting they ship to my work address and got a reply the next day.  YES...we will be at Soundgarden on May 8th.  You?
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

nxrm said

bigboy55693 said
I just got done sifting through this thread from page one to now page twelve looking for a concrete release time for preparations for the 26th.

Thanks for your input.

That's specific Pacific.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

I replied to mine as well, I'm going to soundgarden may 7. May have an extra, let me know if you are looking to go 2 nights in a row.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

We would need two tickets.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

badkittygothgirl said
We would need two tickets.

The general admission Atlantic City show seems way too expensive in the secondary market. I've still never seen them live but for $130 a ticket, with no designated seats, might not be worth it in my opinion. I'm still mulling it over.

@Badkitty, have you ever seen Soundgarden? if so, in what years/venues? in the recent live videos I've seen on Palladia and youtube it seems like he's really struggling with his voice. thank you in advance.

badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

A. I'm not giving my money to a scalper so I'm not concerned with the price on the secondary market.  I purchased my tickets via fanclub presale and chose to only go one night, but if the opportunity presents itself to go both nights, I might mull it over.

B. Never have seen Soundgarden and have heard mixed reviews.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

NYHC81 said 
@Badkitty, have you ever seen Soundgarden? if so, in what years/venues? in the recent live videos I've seen on Palladia and youtube it seems like he's really struggling with his voice. thank you in advance.

Chris struggled with his voice even back in the 90s.  In my opinion, most of what they have recorded, especially back in the 90s he could never really sing night in night out.  For what it's worth though, when I saw Soundgarden in 2012 his voice was excellent.
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

nxrm said

bigboy55693 said

Thanks for your input.

Thanks for the info.

Going on sale at 7AM PST made no sense to me.  9AM makes more sense. I'll still be checking the site starting at 7:55AM PST just to be sure.  Gotta get that #5.

aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

@Badgoth and Hellboy, thank you both. the feedback helps making decisions easier. they've got some balls reselling those tickets for that price. plus it's the Borgata, if you've never been there it's a shit show. I've never seen so much meat on display. just to walk through it makes my skin crawl.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

No problem!  Most people around here call me BKGG.  Brewdog and I were talking about the Atlanta show at the Tabernacle.  One of my favorite venues!  I saw TooL play there in 2001 the Lateralus dropped.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

NYHC81 said
@Badgoth and Hellboy, thank you both. the feedback helps making decisions easier. they've got some balls reselling those tickets for that price. plus it's the Borgata, if you've never been there it's a shit show. I've never seen so much meat on display. just to walk through it makes my skin crawl.

There's a Soundgarden thread here with some reviews of recent shows.  I saw both in Oakland a little while back.  Performances were excellent sound was dog-bawls.  I have no idea why it sucked so bad because I've seen plenty of immaculately engineered shows at the Fox in Oakland.  I would totally recommend seeing this tour as they are extremely tight and appear to be having a great time.  I was highly disappointed in the sound the second night especially since I chose to sit in the loge.  First night up front at the rail was excellent.  Saw them on their first reunion tour in SF a couple of years ago and just like this tour, Chris sounded quite good.  He is hit or miss, but he was on when I've seen him.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Kittaan said

NYHC81 said

There's a Soundgarden thread here with some reviews of recent shows.  I saw both in Oakland a little while back.  Performances were excellent sound was dog-bawls.  I have no idea why it sucked so bad because I've seen plenty of immaculately engineered shows at the Fox in Oakland.  I would totally recommend seeing this tour as they are extremely tight and appear to be having a great time.  I was highly disappointed in the sound the second night especially since I chose to sit in the loge.  First night up front at the rail was excellent.  Saw them on their first reunion tour in SF a couple of years ago and just like this tour, Chris sounded quite good.  He is hit or miss, but he was on when I've seen him.

sorry didn't see that thread. talk about mixed reviews with these guys!!!

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

badkittygothgirl said
No problem!  Most people around here call me BKGG.  Brewdog and I were talking about the Atlanta show at the Tabernacle.  One of my favorite venues!  I saw TooL play there in 2001 the Lateralus dropped.

BKGG, got it! ohhhh I know the Tabernacle. Rogan just did his latest special there, he said it was fantastic.

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

NYHC81 said 

I should at that despite Chris' voice being hit and miss, all three times I've seen Soundgarden (twice pre-breakup) were excellent.  Matt Cameron is one of the best drummers going around, and is a pleasure to watch.  Proof that you don't need a 100-piece drumkit to be an excellent skinsman.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

NYHC81 said

badkittygothgirl said

BKGG, got it! ohhhh I know the Tabernacle. Rogan just did his latest special there, he said it was fantastic.

We had 1st row for that show!  Has the video come out yet?  It was such a fun way to spend 4/20.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy1975 said

NYHC81 said 

I should at that despite Chris' voice being hit and miss, all three times I've seen Soundgarden (twice pre-breakup) were excellent.  Matt Cameron is one of the best drummers going around, and is a pleasure to watch.  Proof that you don't need a 100-piece drumkit to be an excellent skinsman.

I realized the contrast regarding drumming pieces when I first watched Ketih Moon. he had this standard set up but playing like a angry wild gorilla man behind it. arms were a blur, all whilst smiling like he knew something you didn't. but then you have someone like Bill Bruford who has the 100+ pieces tapping away like a computer scientist behind this horizontal spread, surrounded at almost 360 degrees. drummers rule.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Hellboy - completely agree.  I've seen Chris a bunch of times, and only once (only slightly ashamed to say it was with Audioslave) did his voice not deliver to my satisfaction... he broke up on most of the high notes.   The other half a dozen times, his voice was amazing.  When he's on, he's got one of the best voices in rock IMO.

Re: drummers - Fuck yeah, Matt is so goddamn tight and locked in with Ben.  They are a rhythmic machine.

@ NYHC - Moon and Bruford, two of my favorites.  With Yes and KC (especially) Bruford did often have a lot of toys, but I've seen him with his own band and other projects on quite humble kits as well. and he was very comfortable and effective.

For the all time most ridiculous example of drum kit overkill, I will point you to Bozio... who I have loved at times (most definitely with Zappa), but has become somewhat of a joke.  Some of his solo work is unlistenable and seeing him live recently has been quite disappointing.  The massive kit is laughable...

There are phenomenal drummers that make it happen with just a stripped down kit... it's all about preference and the situation.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Fuck Bozio.  Overrated.  Only drummer more overrated than Bozio is Portnoy.

Bruford is top five all time any genre.  Without Bruford there would be no Danny Carey.