Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Bill Hilly »

Atheist? Do you even Ancient Aliens bruh?
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

tys0n wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:21 pm
M0G wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:15 pm And as an Atheist I have no believe system at all.
Eh
Shit bad typo corrected thanks for the heads up Kittaan would have had a field day on that one
The most intelligent person on this forum
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Atheism is a belief system in itself.

Anyhow new Tool!
Canned audience laughter
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

As of right now Invincible>>> Descending.

Man, Autumn is shaping up to be killer. New Tool at the end of August,new Suns of the Tundra in September, and looks like new Opeth in September/October. :geek:

M0G wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:33 am Hellboy mentioned about the lack of story telling and I gotta disagree. Has anyone posted the lyrics to Invicible yet? These are really good and fit that song perfectly.

Invincible (pulled from zee interwebs likely not completely correct)
► Show Spoiler
I think it's:
"Ponce de Leons phantom soul" (not fountain sword)
and
"Fountains false hope" (not "Sultan")[as in the Fountain of Youth, that Ponce de Leon was said to be searching for]

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:08 pm
M0G wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:21 pm Much respect to you fellas for sticking to your guns, but i am just gonna throw it out there...life is short and tomorrow is not guaranteed to anyone...been 13 years...songs are amazing...is it really worth waiting? Food for thought.
As nihilistic as this may sound to some this actually was a pretty big reason I caved on Invincible. I had a mate die in a car crash when I was 17 and at the time he and his best mate were having a blue. Seeing the grief in his surviving buddies face had a massive impact on me at the time that to this day I never leave on bad terms with anyone I care about coz ya never know if it's the last time you're going to ever see them again.

Applied that theory to this new song and told myself if I were to pass before August 30 I'd be pretty pissed off. Odds are I'll make it no dramas and a part of me on first listen will wish I stayed strong but here where i sit today (on the shitter mind you) I'm comfortable with my decision
Yeah, that's pretty much where I am. Perhaps if it was only 2 months until the albums release, or if I'd be seeing them live over the summer, then I'd avoid these audience recordings. But neither is the case, and it's been far too long already, so I'm just rolling with it. Having new Tool to jam to over the summer months is great.

I think they might play a third song on the Euro leg, closer to album release.
Last edited by Moridin on Thu May 09, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Bill Hilly wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:31 pm Atheist? Do you even Ancient Aliens bruh?
No. I have no doubt the universe is full of life but it is so fucking big the distances are so vast between everything the odds of anything ever interacting are incredibly slim. Plus you have the universal speed limit issue (speed of light 300,000km per second). The closest I come to anything spiritual are some elements of Buddism and Taoism but none of the metaphysical aspects. Some of the philosophical aspects, particularly meditation, are highly useful.

Anyway don't want to derail the Tool convo would love to discuss further another time though
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

tys0n wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:34 pm Atheism is a belief system in itself.

Anyhow new Tool!
I figured you were going to say that. We can debate that another time in another thread.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

I was kidding man. I honestly don't know what to believe. It's puzzling to think about. A conversation for another time.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Moridin wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:38 pm As of right now Invincible>>> Descending.

Man, Autumn is shaping up to be killer. New Tool at the end of August,new Suns of the Tundra in September, and looks like new Opeth in September/October. :geek:
M0G wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:33 am Hellboy mentioned about the lack of story telling and I gotta disagree. Has anyone posted the lyrics to Invicible yet? These are really good and fit that song perfectly.

Invincible (pulled from zee interwebs likely not completely correct)
► Show Spoiler
I think it's:
"Ponce de Leons phantom soul" (not fountain sword)
and
"Fountains false hope" (not "Sultan")[as in the Fountain of Youth, that Ponce de Leon was said to be searching for]
Busty McCracken wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:08 pm
M0G wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:21 pm Much respect to you fellas for sticking to your guns, but i am just gonna throw it out there...life is short and tomorrow is not guaranteed to anyone...been 13 years...songs are amazing...is it really worth waiting? Food for thought.
As nihilistic as this may sound to some this actually was a pretty big reason I caved on Invincible. I had a mate die in a car crash when I was 17 and at the time he and his best mate were having a blue. Seeing the grief in his surviving buddies face had a massive impact on me at the time that to this day I never leave on bad terms with anyone I care about coz ya never know if it's the last time you're going to ever see them again.

Applied that theory to this new song and told myself if I were to pass before August 30 I'd be pretty pissed off. Odds are I'll make it no dramas and a part of me on first listen will wish I stayed strong but here where i sit today (on the shitter mind you) I'm comfortable with my decision
Yeah, that's pretty much where I am. Perhaps if it was only 2 months until the albums release, or if I'd be seeing them live over the summer, then I'd avoid these audience recordings. But neither is the case, and it's been far too long already, so I'm just rolling with it. Having new Tool to jam to over the summer months is great.

I think they might play a third song on the Euro leg, closer to album release.
Cool on the lyrics like I said I just grabbed the first thing I found on the internet earlier i knew some pieces were off but there was enough there to make my point that a story is being told.

Still trying to find Descending lyrics. Found a lyric vid on the youtubez that is actually pretty good sounds intriguing.

Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Great lyrics so far from Maynard. I had the same concerns about his output after Eat the Elephant. The lyrics for these 2 new songs are what I was hoping for. Still, we're kidding ourselves if we don't think there's going to be at least one song with a snarky get off my lawn vibe.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Moridin wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:38 pm new Suns of the Tundra in September
Are you serious? Can you post a link to read some info about it. Great news!!
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Moridin wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:38 pm As of right now Invincible>>> Descending.
Both amazing songs but for me Descending is the superior tune. I tend to prefer Tool's more complex compositions. I mean to be fair most of their compositions are complex, and there is certainly a lot going on in Invincible, but Descending showcases just how flawlessly those three move between time signatures and their mastery of polyrhythms. Plus it might be the single best performance Adam has ever given on guitar outside of maybe Third Eye I mean he is right there out in front and is going off. Danny is insane but that is always the case. We take for granted that Tool have the greatest rock drummer on the planet (notice I didn't say metal..Tomas Haake is right there)
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

The lyrics, like everything else, took me awhile to get used to. Descending I'm still warming up to, but as I learn more about them I like them more. Quoting Shakespeare rubbed me as pretentious at first, but with the little context that I've gained since it makes more sense. Invincible seemed weak, with Maynard using the usual round of words he likes for deliveries, like "down," and for some reason it gave me a cheesy Dream Theater vibe (though DT lyrics can be awesome too at times), but now I think the lyrics are pretty damn strong and suite the song well. A lot of people don't like to put so much emphasis on lyrics, but I find that they can really direct the energy of the song. So when Maynard leaves us on lines about morality and death, everything after it feels heavy as fuck, especially if he screams them. I think that's why the second half of Descending is still a little flat for me, there's nothing conceptual to tie the music too.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

It is interesting how differently people process these songs. See I love how Maynard stays out of the second half of Descending it would absolutely ruin the song for me. That second half is a showcase for the other three.

I mentioned earlier I think some really die hard Maynard fans may end up being a bit disappointed on this album. It was already leaked that all the vocals are clean. No screams. And in both Descending and Invincible he is subtle and picks his spots to add to what the other three are doing musically. I could end up being entirely wrong the other songs on the album might be a Maynard showcase but I don't think that is going to be the case. I really like his approach on these songs and I hope it continues on the rest of the songs on the new album.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I don't think that leak was legitimate. I think Danny said before that there's a song that Maynard goes super hard on, supposedly trumping Ticks and Leeches (I'll believe that when I see it.). Plus, it seems like Maynard screams on these songs, or at least sings with harsh vocals. The first night he sang Descending he put a little too much into one of the "Stay Alive" phrases, then dialed it down a little for night 2. But I'm willing to bet that he challenged himself in the studio recording and got some gnarly shit down.

Even if he is mostly clean though, I'll still love it. The man's voice is beautiful, especially when he channels his Tool energy. The version of Descending from 2013 where he just fucking chants is one of my most played songs.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

ziggy23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:51 pm
Moridin wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:38 pm new Suns of the Tundra in September
Are you serious? Can you post a link to read some info about it. Great news!!
Yep, they posted this on their facebook on Wednesday:
"So good things are happening in August? We will have something of our own for you in September. Full details following soon, thanks for waiting!"
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Suns-of-the ... 299/posts/

And you can see the other posts there about how they're pleased with the mix & are getting the artwork ready.

EDIT: Incidentally, I think one of these songs is a re-recording of an old Peach Vol.2 track.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Just to clarify a little on my story telling comment - it's not lyrics I have a problem with, they are just fine. Story telling (to me) us more about how the story is told. In Wings and Rosetta Stoned and vocals ebb and flow with the story, reaching a crescendo at the end of the song. These new songs this ebbing and flowing is much more subtle, there's less variety in the way the vocals are delivered.

As I mentioned though, vocals are really hard to get a good vibe on when listening to a phone recording, so certainly not ruling out that they will sound better on the album.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Holy fucking shit guys...

I have been listening to these 2 songs on repeat all day. On the first listen through I was somewhat underwhelmed with both songs.... But every listen through makes me fall in love more and more. Descending had been played nearly 2 to 1 for me so far. Absolutely loving the music, lyrics, build up... When Maynard hits that "STAY! ALIVE!" It gives me goosebumps.

Insane music coming from the Tool camp my friends.

For everyone holding out for the full album, more power to you. I'll just say... You are severely missing out.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:35 pm For everyone holding out for the full album, more power to you. I'll just say... You are severely missing out.
Only 113 more days. I can do it! 8-)
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

All that I've heard from Invincible is that first guitar riff that Adam plays, which has been played instrumentally on previous tours...and it's still in my head all day.
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Bill Hilly wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:44 pm All that I've heard from Invincible is that first guitar riff that Adam plays, which has been played instrumentally on previous tours...and it's still in my head all day.
Wait 'til you get to the bass solo.

And then Danny gets up and plays a synth solo. :twisted:
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Wait, what? Danny plays a synth solo?
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Bill Hilly wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:06 pm Wait, what? Danny plays a synth solo?
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I was wondering who was doing that. I've only listened to the audio versions.
Listen to All Them Witches
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Also two questions. Given we now know the release date , isn't that peak harvesting season? What dates is May May usually out of action by?

Secondly, I would assume Tool will be just about number one on Download Aus hitlist for a headliner. Reckon we'll unfortunately get em here for a festival show before they come back a year or two later for a headline tour of their own?

Won't be surprised if download is a repeat tool / rammstein show
Listen to All Them Witches
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Moridin wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:11 pm
Bill Hilly wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:06 pm Wait, what? Danny plays a synth solo?