Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
greasy
Has been

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by greasy »

Googling info on Surprise (the 70s band) doesnt come up with ANY new news. That is odd to say the least. It is Blairs comment at the end that makes me thing something is in that mag.... "In the meantime, my advice would be to order a copy of INROCK #5 and learn to speak Russian."
Yes, I am the same Greasy from the hubs (remember AMT?)

https://www.ebay.com/str/cgreinsky
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

greasy wrote:Googling info on Surprise (the 70s band) doesnt come up with ANY new news. That is odd to say the least. It is Blairs comment at the end that makes me thing something is in that mag.... "In the meantime, my advice would be to order a copy of INROCK #5 and learn to speak Russian."
Seems like wishful thinking. Why would any magazine that has some meaningful, possibly exclusive news from one of the biggest bands in metal and then not have at least some vague reference to it on the front cover?
greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

Is there a reference on the front cover? Sure, there is no image of the band members, but half of the text on the cover is in Russian....and I can't read it.

greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

Ugh....Blair was in Surprise:

Line-up / Musicians

- Rick Bess / guitars, bass, music
- Blair Blake / hammond organ, grand piano, mini moog synthesizer, moog taurus bass pedals, arp string ensemble, celeste, lyrics
- Dave Kelly / drums, typani, orchestra bells, gongs, triangles, gyro
- Mark Biehl / vocalist, flute, trumpet, piccolo

Also found this on the Volto! blog, written by Blair:

After a couple of years of performing throughout the Midwest – playing prog-rock covers in small taverns, college universities, military bases, etc. (my favorite being the cavernous feed granaries that were turned into mega rock venues where local prog acts like Starcastle, A Full Moon Consort, and King of Hearts got their start), in 1977 my band, “Surprise” (I thought the name had a bit of a “Yes” vibe) recorded an album entitled “Assault on Merryland.” This was a mildly progressive concept piece complete with fantasy cover art and ‘cloudland’ lyrics. Although the record did get considerable airtime on KSHE (even played in its entirety, as it was meant to be), things didn’t exactly end on a portamento high note. From the looks of things, having my music played on the same radio station that played my favorite bands would be as close as I’d ever get to any of my prog-rock ‘idols.’ Disco and other musical styles were now in vogue and the Surprise album was destined to become little more than an obscure collector’s item, with sealed copies (through the 1980s-90s) selling for in excess of $350.00. Disillusioned with the music scene in general, in 1979 I moved to southern California – taking my prized Minimoog with me…

junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

greasy wrote:Ugh....Blair was in Surprise:
Blair actually has some fine keyboard chops. He doesn't play in front of crowds, but on the right occasion (usually at a late hour, and with some liquid courage) he'll bust out some quality playing in front of small groups of friends.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

junior wrote:
Blair actually has some fine keyboard chops. He doesn't play in front of crowds, but on the right occasion (usually at a late hour, and with some liquid courage) he'll bust out some quality playing in front of small groups of friends.
If I remember correctly, he also contributed to Butcher's 'Auricle'. Now where did I put that CD...
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Kittaan »

I have a copy of that Surprise CD and can confirm BMB indeed has (had?) some fine chops.

Greasy, is that you? Still in the same line of work? ;-)

Nice to see you around here man.
Ki77aan :twisted:
greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

Kittaan wrote:I have a copy of that Surprise CD and can confirm BMB indeed has (had?) some fine chops.

Greasy, is that you? Still in the same line of work? ;-)

Nice to see you around here man.
'tis indeed me! I did leave that profession about 6 years ago, as this internet thingy has destroyed the DVD market. I have fallen back on what I love, dealing in antiques full time. Mainly historical documents, autographs, sports collectibles, and a lot of political collectibles. What you up to?

_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

nxrm wrote:
junior wrote:
If I remember correctly, he also contributed to Butcher's 'Auricle'. Now where did I put that CD...
he does, and that album has some really good moments

http://fourtheye.net/f/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1083
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Adam Jones posts a vague video on Instagram, I run it through state of the art cryptography filters, slap a clickbait title on it and present it as prime evidence that the new Tool album is being recorded at The Loft. Maybe. Audio is "A/Descending" stretched.
[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

ziggy23 wrote:
Adam Jones posts a vague video on Instagram, I run it through state of the art cryptography filters, slap a clickbait title on it and present it as prime evidence that the new Tool album is being recorded at The Loft. Maybe. Audio is "A/Descending" stretched.
[youtube][/youtube]
Looks like the Loft to me.

and a digital mixer there. I did a quick search and found it: PRO SERIES PRO2-CC-IP. Im not a musician but it looks like a digital mixer is used for live shows. Even the site lists its uses as concerts and music festivals.

You can also clearly see:
Adams Guitar(s)
Justins Bass
Dannys Drums
And what looks to me like Maynards Keyboards. And for whats its worth the keyboards appear to be on/lit up.

Likely just prepping for the show(s) this summer.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

That seems like a newer console, so they are either testing it out for their live shows, or they use it for recording at the loft.

I'd say probably the latter. I don't know why the band themselves would be messing around with their live console 3 months ahead of doing any shows. Like if somebody were to be messing around with this it would be the engineer, not Tool. Plus I don't think a big studio band like Tool would be using a $20,000 digital console for their shows.

That said, I imagine they record a ton of shit at the loft during the writing process and so this doesn't really mean anything.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Also, I wouldn't read too much into those keyboards. I assume the loft has keyboards, and I know Adam plays keyboards so unless Maynard's actually playing them, I'm not sure I put money on him actually being there.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

It's cool seeing this video, sadly I don't think it should be taken as a sign of anything happening other than Tool mucking about in the Loft.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

You could use a Pro2 for live shows, but Tool doesn't.
It'd be more suited for a band that doesn't need as much hands-on access by the engineer (such as a "track act"). It'd be fine for a home studio, as well. In this case, The Loft. They've also got an old analogue desk there in the "control room".
Tool's live engineer (Nobby) has been using an analogue Midas XL4 on the live shows for about 15 years. He went digital with them for one show (River's Edge Fest in St. Paul) and decided it wasn't to his liking.

Here is a picture of him with the XL4, and another of just an XL4.

xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Thanks for the insight Junior! That's really cool about the 1 St Paul show.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

That kind of looks like the control room at The Loft, but that's definitely not where they normally have all their stuff set up. Why they'd pack all the equipment up and move it in there to record is odd. Could be a different place. Maybe Justin's studio? Who knows and also... doesn't really matter as Hellboy said.
greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

FWIW.......adam makes it a point while filming to clearly show his guitar and pedals, justins bass and pedals, dannys drums, and manyards (?) keyboard corner, next to the drums. The important part....all of the amps and drums are mic'd.

nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

xZ1mM3r wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
I do not think this is their rehearsal space (aka The Loft).

*At the 1:28 mark you can see more of the room they're in and what appears to be a door in the background. This is a larger space than The Loft rehearsal space or "control room."
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

What makes you guys think it isn't the Loft? Personally I don't think that "because there is a mixing desk in there" is good evidence that they're in a studio.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Didn't Junior just say it was in the Loft?

And FWIW digital consoles like that aren't really used in studios. Somebody might use one in a home studio, but not a professional one.
Don't mow your lawn
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

The Loft has wall-to-wall carpeting. This video has an exposed wood floor with rugs on it.
I think they temporarily relocated, possibly so some repairs/remodeling could be done at The Loft, or just to get out of there for a while.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Didn't Junior just say it was in the Loft?
I just meant I'd seen a console like that in the Loft. I guess I wrote that incorrectly.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

hellboy wrote:What makes you guys think it isn't the Loft? Personally I don't think that "because there is a mixing desk in there" is good evidence that they're in a studio.
As to why I don't think it's The Loft: the hardwood floor, the rugs, the walls, the layout/space of the room.

I believe this is The Loft control room:

That console doesn't have the Pro2 though, and it's definitely not the same space in the video above. The rehearsal space of The Loft, where their gear is usually set up, is also quite a bit smaller and doesn't look anything like the room in that video either.

Adam has posted pictures of that Pro2 before, but without anything in the background:

They could be at Danny's new place, although...an actual studio is more likely.

*Following Junior's comments...perhaps just a new rehearsal space. Blair did mention moving The Loft or having a decoy Loft in a Newsletter a few months back.

**Also, doesn't look like Danny's new place...so...new/temporary rehearsal space or a studio.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

nxrm wrote:I believe this is The Loft control room: ... s_tv&hl=en
Yeah, that is the control room/bar area at the Loft, featuring the old analogue "Rick James" console and Blairs old couch.
I could write a "Blair-length" story about how that couch got to the Loft from Blairs old 2nd floor apartment (it involved ropes, a balcony, Danny's old truck, the 101 Freeway, a 12-pack and at least 5 people), but that's for another day.

The little digital console was on the other side of the glass, in the performance space. I think they use that digital one for recording rehearsals and monitoring themselves (there's a small PA in the live room). The analogue one would be for mixing.