Deftones

Music in all its forms and styles
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Re: Deftones

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Kittaan wrote:Ouch.

And what about integrity?

Moggie, you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Integrity? Not sure how it is relevant in this context. This is simple marketing. GORE comes out in a little over a month. Touring to follow etc etc. On what planet do you think it is a smart idea to talk negatively about the album you just finished writing and playing on? Stephen is a grown man acting like a petulant child. He made the decision to stick it out and write on the new album even though he was not happy with the direction the other guys wanted to go in with this album. He has made the decision to tour behind the new album. Common sense dictates you keep any negative feelings about the album to yourself until you are finished with the album touring cycle. Respect your fellow bandmates. Collect your check, and then you are free to do as many interviews as you want and say whatever you want.

As for Integrity....if Stephen felt that strongly about the material not being the kind of music he wanted to write, then he should have walked. Writing on an album you are not happy with and sticking around to collect a check would bring the Integrity issue much more into question. Quite honestly I doubt Stephen even thought about that. He has smoked away any common sense he had left. No filter, open mouth, insert foot. Oh well. Prayers/Triangles is good shit. I suspect GORE will be a solid album.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I thought he spoke pretty respectfully about an issue which is most likely a common one for all bands. I don't think he spoke out of turn. You have a strange way of seeing things Mog, and seem to want to make this a bigger deal than it really is.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:I thought he spoke pretty respectfully about an issue which is most likely a common one for all bands. I don't think he spoke out of turn. You have a strange way of seeing things Mog, and seem to want to make this a bigger deal than it really is.
Your rose colored perspective as it pertains to Tool seems to have seeped out and clouded your mind when it comes to other bands as well now. You REALLY need to re-read the article. Let's quote some parts shall we....
Are there any songs or guitar parts on the new record that you're really proud of or really excited for the fans to hear?

Oh god. I think my proudest thing about my guitar playing on this record is just playing on the record because I didn't want to play on the record to begin with. It wasn't until way later once I actually got into it. I look at all the songs on the record and they were all a challenge for me to get in to.

What do you think that barrier was for you?

I don't know. I just really like metal and I love all the metal that's being played now. I wish everybody would stop saying "djent" though. That's just dumb. It's just metal.

I still don't know what the fuck that is.

I thoroughly can get djent, I even have great appreciation for the bands, and I mean Meshuggah is one of my favorite bands. But it's just not a genre. It's just metal.
So, you were saying earlier that you were having a hard time getting into playing on this new album. Why do you think that was?

When we were coming up with ideas and writing the songs, the stuff that was being written, you know, the other guys' ideas, I wasn't too interested in it. It wasn't the style or the sound I was hoping we would take. It wasn't what I was expecting or wanting.

That says a lot about you seeing yourself as part of a band and going in the direction of the band. Its unselfish.

Yeah I hear ya. My band is going one direction and I am going another one currently.

Do you think that will result in some more side projects or solo albums?

Well I have another side project going with my friend in England, Sol Invicto. We've got some songs done over the past decade, hardly enough to count it as a full on band. But that's mostly on me because I haven't been able to contribute very much. My friends in my band would probably say the same thing. It's just that life thing that's always going on. Time and life, that's the way it goes. I've also got ideas for my own personal solo stuff. I've got another thing I'm going to start with a friend of mine. So there's definitely going to be other stuff, no doubt about that.

That's not saying that you're going to leave the Deftones, is it?

I would never leave the band that I started but the band started leaving me, I can't control that.

That's a democratic way to look at it, really.

I mean, I have a great time for the most part. This record has been a struggle and we have got issues that I do not want to leave home but how things will be in the future, I do not know. But I know what I will do and what I will not do and there are some things that I will not do in the future because I just don't agree with it.
^ I repeat...what kind of idiot starts bringing up that shit a month before the release of a new album and subsequent touring? That reeks of bong hits and stupidity.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

So you'd rather a well oiled publicity machine? Got it. Personally I'd rather honesty.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:So you'd rather a well oiled publicity machine? Got it. Personally I'd rather honesty.
No I want common sense. You don't throw your fellow band mates under the bus. Respect your bandmates and wait until after the album/touring cycle is done. After that, you are free to do as many interviews as you want and bitch and moan as much as you want. Stephen didn't have to be dishonest. He could/should have simply avoided the issue or addressed it in a different way. I imagine there is something about the new album he liked, he could have simply mentioned a specific riff he dug off one of the tracks and then left it at that. As I said above, if you really wanted honesty then you should be calling for Stephen to leave the band. If he is honestly THAT disenchanted with the direction they took or with the direction the band is moving in, then he should have walked away. Stephen can be easily replaced. He has a nice sound/tone, but nothing he does is particularly technical or difficult to cover.

Like I said, just another rich musician bitching and moaning because they didn't get their way. The last two albums were the kind of albums he wants to make. If the other guys wanted to go in a slightly different direction this time around get over it and get it done. In a few years when they start writing again then he could have revisited a heavier sound. Or explore it in side projects, but don't bitch about it a month before you are about to go on tour. Who wants to see a sulking guitar player who isn't engaged in the material he is playing?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:Who wants to see a sulking guitar player who isn't engaged in the material he is playing?
That's an assumption on your part that I'm not sure is correct.

Anyway, it looks like this is going nowhere. You think he's bitching and not using common sense. I think just being open and honest. You think he's thrown the band under a bus, I doubt the rest of the band feel that way.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:So you'd rather a well oiled publicity machine? Got it. Personally I'd rather honesty.
what exactly was he hoping to accomplish with those comments is the real point. does it help or hurt the band? honestly bro, you can't defend that.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:does it help or hurt the band? honestly bro, you can't defend that.
You'd have to ask someone in the band. I doubt it's a conversation that they haven't already had. The fact the album went ahead and he's still in the band is most likely a positive sign.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I can't believe this fucking argument is still going on.
Don't mow your lawn
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:I can't believe this fucking argument is still going on.
What is this "argument" that you speak of? If I am not mistaken this is a discussion forum, and while Hellboy and I do not always agree, I personally enjoy the debating back and forth. Hellboy and I also both enjoy fucking each other now and again so we toss in little barbs from time to time. Uh wait, I mean fucking WITH each other...oops

So in summary, I am always right and I have a big dick. ;) As for Stephen, he is a dumb ass. As for Deftones in general, cannot fucking wait for GORE. Cheers
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

God I love being right. Stephen done opened a can of worms.

http://www.theprp.com/2016/03/01/news/d ... ive-sport/
Chino
“You mean like competitive fun? Make records with Stephen. It’s pretty damned competitive. In a way, it’s a lot of this [referring to table tennis game], back and forth.”
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Right about what? That people in the band have differing opinions on stuff? No shit Sherlock...
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:Right about what? That people in the band have differing opinions on stuff? No shit Sherlock...
You honestly think that Chino would have ever opened his mouth if Stephen had kept his shut? Man you must love roses.

GORE will be Deftones last go around, mark it. Respect to them at least they actually got what is obviously going to be their final album done.....
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Chino should have kept his fat mouth shut. What a dick. He ain't no Maynard so Stephen should be able to replace him easily enough.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:Chino should have kept his fat mouth shut. What a dick. He ain't no Maynard so Stephen should be able to replace him easily enough.
Chino shits all over ole Jimmy any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Jimbo drank one too many glasses of that shitty Arizona wine ;)
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote:does it help or hurt the band? honestly bro, you can't defend that.
You'd have to ask someone in the band. I doubt it's a conversation that they haven't already had. The fact the album went ahead and he's still in the band is most likely a positive sign.
positive sign or a contractual obligation from the their record label.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

It's fairly well known that the band as a whole wasn't really in a great place together during the SNW sessions. So much so that you can almost feel it on the record. They were no less vocal about it as they moved on to Eros, the accessibility of media just wasn't quite the same yet for it to be poured over so easily. Sadly, Chi's passing is what likely brought them back together as a group.

This is really nothing at all. In fact, Stef hasn't really been all that happy since Chino started playing guitar in the band. It'll pass, Deftones will continue and this will be forgotten until the next guy isn't so keen on the direction of the writing.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

N.Y.H.C. wrote: contractual obligation from the their record label.
Has there ever band a band which has any kind of respect actually recorded and album because contractually obliged? Usually we just get a greatest hits album.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

^Yea I don't know what it is about this place that the majority seem to think that a contractual obligation will stop a band from breaking up.

petemasterpete wrote:Sadly, Chi's passing is what likely brought them back together as a group
I'm no Deftones expert but I'm pretty sure they were touring and recording new albums with the new bassist while Chi still lived.
Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Ravenpig wrote:^Yea I don't know what it is about this place that the majority seem to think that a contractual obligation will stop a band from breaking up.

petemasterpete wrote:Sadly, Chi's passing is what likely brought them back together as a group
I'm no Deftones expert but I'm pretty sure they were touring and recording new albums with the new bassist while Chi still lived.
yeah, my bad ... I meant his accident ... but essentially from that point on, he was a goner
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote: contractual obligation from the their record label.
Has there ever band a band which has any kind of respect actually recorded and album because contractually obliged? Usually we just get a greatest hits album.
doesn't Tool's 2nd LP fit into that category? isn't that why Paul was replaced? pretty sure MJK even made a statement regarding that.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

You're saying Aenima was only recorded due to contractual obligation? Implying they would have broken up otherwise? I've never heard of such a statement...
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:You're saying Aenima was only recorded due to contractual obligation? Implying they would have broken up otherwise? I've never heard of such a statement...
sorry maybe I'm wrong, but not 100%. I thought Maynard actually said in an interview or live at a show that if Paul was in the band then Aenima would have never been released, so the fans needed to deal with the replacement bassist. someone help me out here and try to find that quote. it had to do with the delay between Undertow and Aenima and they pushed the release as far as they could. they were under contract for another LP and they had to get it out sooner or later and that Justin coming in helped finish that record. don't tell me no one remembers that statement, I know I didn't make it up.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I think it's safe to say that Paul leaving probably did make the members remaining in the band question whether they could continue or not, but I expect saying that the album was mostly done to fulfill contractual obligation is a bit of a stretch. Maybe Maynard did say something like that, but it all depends on the context I assume.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

^ Rose colored glasses

@Pete - ya no ....Stephen shoulda kept his mouth shut. It is common knowledge he is salty about Chino playing guitar. The Eros sessions issues are common knowledge. THIS is something entirely different. Stephen is being another rich pussy musician who is complaining because he didn't get his way on this album. Bottom line, if you, as an adult, make a decision to write/record an album and tour behind it, keep your fucking mouth shut a month before the new album is set for release. No one wants to hear you cry about not wanting to write on the record. Man up, get the touring done, and then go try to do your own thing. I say TRY, because outside of Deftones Stephen hasn't done shit and will likely never do shit, because he is a fat lazy fuck who smokes too much weed and is an average guitar player at best. Without Chino, there is no Deftones. Stephen can be replaced easily. They could put out a fucking ad and a thousand better players who crush it on an 8 string will come knocking happy as fuck to play with quality musicians.

To Stephen I say this, fuck off with no respect

GORE is gonna be Deftones last album. Mark it.

Tool will never make another album. Mark it.

Chino > Marynard

Deftones > Tool

The End